Zeiss Optics

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3216357 - 10/27/19 09:50 AM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: Jason50cal]
AWS Offline

Loc: NM
I seriously think scope selection is a very personal thing. If I had to take a 400 yard shots I'd consider it a failed stand, something went wrong. Most of my shots are under 100 yards and I have more under 20 yards than over 200. But that is also the type of terrain I like to hunt also.

I call predators, the calling them in close is the RUSH for me. I don't worry about seeing a coyote on my way to a stand, I carry my rifle in a back scabbard/pack. If I had the desire to just kill coyotes I have about a hundred foothold and even more snares stored in the garage if I want to start trapping again.

So I gear my equipment for the terrain I expect to hunt.

Thicker cover, I use a number of combo guns rifle/shotgun with 1-4x20mm scopes mounted on them for the huge FOV, fast target acquisition and the ability to track moving animals and see openings before the critter gets into them, they stay on 1x unless I need more.

More open country a bolt gun in 222 Rem or 22-204 with a 1.5-6x40mm gets the nod.

Big open grass lands and wheat fields I have a 22-250 with a 2.5-10x40mm. I don't hunt that country very often and the few times I've done it everything has come in quite close and I haven't killed one over 50 yards. I rarely take it on a trip anymore.

I like to see at least a 40' FOV on the bottom end. even open country it is amazing how many coyotes can sneak in undetected and magically appear at 50 or less yards and just stick their heads up out of long grass or depression. Some of the newer scopes with 6x magnification or more might be just the ticket. I just can't justify the cost. A $200 Leupold Freedom will kill all the coyotes I care to shoot and leaves me with $800+ dollars to fund hunting trips and gas. The last coyote I killed at the convention and my egg shoot scope cost me $30. I bought 2 for $60 and they are just as clear and sharp as they were 50 yrs ago Bausch & Lomb Balvar 8's. I don't even need turrets as I can hold on fur as far as I care to shoot.

Edited by AWS (10/27/19 10:03 AM)

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

#3216363 - 10/27/19 11:18 AM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: Jason50cal]
roundcall Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Choctaw, Oklahoma
I have been using a 1.5-8 Vortex LH on my 6x6.8 and have been happpy with it.

#3216370 - 10/27/19 12:31 PM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: AWS]
skinney Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: South Dakota
Originally Posted By: AWS
I seriously think scope selection is a very personal thing. If I had to take a 400 yard shots I'd consider it a failed stand, something went wrong.

Exactly, which is why magnification is your friend, when your cleaning up others mess's.

They'll hear ya three times, see ya twice, but only smell ya once.

Play the Rabbit, and they will come.

#3216372 - 10/27/19 12:35 PM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: Jason50cal]
AWS Offline

Loc: NM
If I had to spend my hunting time cleaning others messes I'd be looking for other hunting partners before dragging around a Hubble telescope on my rifle.

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

#3216378 - 10/27/19 01:08 PM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: AWS]
skinney Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: South Dakota
Originally Posted By: AWS
If I had to spend my hunting time cleaning others messes I'd be looking for other hunting partners before dragging around a Hubble telescope on my rifle.

It has nothing to do with hunting partners, and everything to do with people who love to educate. By the time we get done with Elk season, Corn, and Weaning, Yes we deal with a lot of well taught animals.
Let me "refrain" Magnification is your Friend.

They'll hear ya three times, see ya twice, but only smell ya once.

Play the Rabbit, and they will come.

#3216561 - 10/29/19 12:20 AM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: Jason50cal]
W. Chad Shultz Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Winifred Montana
I am with Skinney, lots of big open sage off the river bottoms where I hunt. Lots of times you kill some close and there are some hung up way out watching. I like magnification, it works for me. I have lots of low power scopes too but just not what I prefer anymore.

#3217008 - 11/02/19 01:49 AM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: Jason50cal]
sscoyote Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: pueblo, co
Overall my favorite has to be the 3-9X Burris Timberline with Ballistic Plex reticle--compact/lightweight for loooong walkabouts.

For specialty pistols I favor the 2-8X Nikon BDC reticle and low prof T. turrets.

#3217165 - 11/03/19 08:46 PM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: Jason50cal]
sandy hicks Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: southeast texas
Vx3i 3.5 to 10 duplex only is my favorite all around scope. It will get me to 400. Will never see one that far where I hunt.

#3217302 - 11/04/19 10:43 PM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: Jason50cal]
AZDesertThunder Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Burris RT6 1-6x on my AR-15 for closer work and a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50 on my 6mm Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle for some wide open desert I hunt.

#3217425 - 11/06/19 08:09 AM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: Jason50cal]
crazyyote Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: ohio
Leupold or Zeiss 3x9 range. Up to 12X if you really want it.

#3217435 - 11/06/19 11:03 AM Re: What’s your favorite daytime scope for coyote? [Re: crazyyote]
Smokin Pole Offline

Loc: Colorado
I have used a Sightron fixed 6X on my 22-250 for years. Best coyote scope I have used in years. No messing with adjustments, just sight and shoot.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© 2000-2008 Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.