Baiting

This guy came in last night and our schedules met up. About 70 yards after 9PM. 55gr TAP Urban did the job very well. He's been coming in every other night or so at varying times for the last 2 or 3 weeks. A possum sentry was hanging out just in front of the coyote when he came in. He kind of scrambled around a bit after the shot and actually walked over the top of the coyote after it was down. There's another yote that generally hangs with this one so it looks like 1 down and 1 to go. Have a video of the shot finally as I remembered to hit the record button this time. Dont know how to upload it though. If someone can advise how to I'll update.....

Trail cam caught this right before the shot
FfkEqEr.jpg

Boom
bMdFSKA.jpg

Shot went in lower chest from the front and exited lower right side
gBvCK8B.jpg

Last edited:

Nice going, Burn.

I use an editing program to clean up video and add music and effects. However, you can take raw footage and upload it to Youtube. Take the video off the SD card and put on your computer. If you don’t have a Youtube account then get one. You then upload the video from Youtube and once it is complete and loaded, go into your account and open up the video. Once you get that far it’s simple. Highlight the URL at the top of the Youtube screen and click copy. Then go to your Predator Masters post and paste the URL in your post. You can also imbed the video in your post this way - click on the little blue icon that looks like a TV screen. A few social media choices will appear. Click on Youtube, indicating that’s where your video is, then past the URL into that. So, you can post the video either way.

Did he run on that shot Burn? Looks like you hit him right in the heart. My heartshots always seem to run a ways before expiring. Nice work, and will be looking forward to the video.

ok. Lets give this a try....

DU - it dropped where it was standing but the shot came in from the front and exited as you can see in the pic above. You can see the surprised possum right in front of the yote in the video

ETA - try again....hope this works now. Thanks 6mm for the guidance. You might have to replay the video a few times to see the whole 9 seconds of recording. Seems like it was a lot longer than 9 seconds during the event, but I guess time gets warped when stuff happens during the heat of the battle

[video:youtube][/video]

The initial IR lighting you'll see is the standard IR light that came with the ATN 4K. That light is mounted on the RH side of my rifle and was turned on to its lowest power setting as the coyote came in. Right before the shot, as things light up brighter, thats the IR850 PRO being turned on. I have both lights mounted on the gun with the Pro on the LH side of the rifle. I wish the IR PRO light had a pressure switch instead of a push button ON/OFF as its pretty loud when it clicks on/off. I usually just press on it without going in all the way and it turns on/off easily that way without any noise. Although it looks kind of dark in the video, the actual image I saw through the scope was much much brighter as well as clearer. All the flashes going on after the shot are the IR lights from my 4 game cams that surround the bait area. The possum out front seems to wake up a bit right after the shot.

My suppressed SBR AR is zeroed at 50 yards with Hornady 55gr TAP Urban and the distance is 70-75 yards in complete darkness. It looks like the shot might have been a bit low, but it certainly was a knock out.

Here's my NV rig
BZftdVp.jpg

Last edited:

Burn, it looks like the video is listed as private. You need to go back into Youtube to edit the movie and change it to “public.”

You have it fixed now so that it can be viewed. Good stuff! One of the things that is cool about using digital is that sometimes you can actually see the bullet streak.

That got it, Burn. Good shot on that one.

One other consideration that night help is to set you trail camera to video rather ghan photo on the nights you hunt. That will give you more IR light that will both enable you to see better as well as get better video. I noticed the IR flash in the video, but with the camera set to video the illumination will be constant while the camera is recording. I used to do that with Gen 1 night vision which helped a lot. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
That got it, Burn. Good shot on that one.

One other consideration that night help is to set you trail camera to video rather ghan photo on the nights you hunt. That will give you more IR light that will both enable you to see better as well as get better video. I noticed the IR flash in the video, but with the camera set to video the illumination will be constant while the camera is recording. I used to do that with Gen 1 night vision which helped a lot. Just a thought.

Outstanding idea sir! Will do!

Forrest Gump:
DONE, DRILL SERGEANT!

Drill Sergeant:
GUUUUUUMP! Why did you put that weapon together so quickly, Gump?

Forrest Gump:
Because you told me to, Drill Sergeant?

Drill Sergeant:
Outstanding, Gump! This is a new company record! If it weren't such a waste of a fine enlisted man I'd recommend you for OCS! You are gonna be a general someday, Gump!

Pretty work Burn, congrats on the back to back.

The wind shifted to the Nor'east here this afternoon and cooled things off from the mid-90's that we had recently. That had the predators moving tonight, foxes, raccoons, possums, bears, and coyotes. Unfortunately we had a pair of coyotes that were working to us which managed to put the "who do" on us while calling a sod farm.

Came home sort of dejected about that, but about an hour later I decided to scan the field here behind my house. Low and behold there was a coyote crossing the field behind my pond, and just as he got downwind of the bait pile his nose picked up the scent. He turned and started working toward the scent. Unfortunately he was also getting close to my downwind also, so I took the shot before he could wind me. I'll have to put the range finder on it tomorrow, but I'm guessing somewhere between 165 and 180 yds. This is another large male. We are not seeing any pups, only big mature coyotes.

IMG_0534 by Double Up, on Flickr

Good job on the follow up return, Burn. You are getting some action lately, and congrats once again to DoubleUp, a coyote’s worst nightmare.

My relatively new ATN 4k Pro claimed its second coyote the other night. This one had beautiful fur, black and gray on its back, gray face but its sides were more the typical reddish colored. The black seemed to go further down on his left side than the right. It would have been a good one to either have tanned or mounted, but the Sierra Blitz King kind of had different thoughts.

When I squeezed the trigger it went "click." I knew I had chambered a round earlier in the 6x45 AR, but I had to eject that one and re-chamber another round, causing the coyote to look my way. His attention went back to searching for bits of food, and I shot quickly and didn't give him an opportunity to change his mind. This just goes to show what I have been saying for some time now, that coyotes are individuals with different tolerances. The coyote in "4k Coyote #1" did not like either the glow of the IR, or the click of the illuminator, and didn't waste any time retreating.

As to the "click," I don't know what happened. There was no dent in the primer, yet the rifle was cocked or made a sound as if firing. I have since chambered that round again and it fired just fine. When it clicked, I immediately thought I might lose this coyote before I could get reloaded.

The illuminator I used was a cheap Ebay T-20 Ultrafire 850nm, 3-mode. At the 60 yard bait site, medium setting is good but at greater distances the full power setting is needed. I have found that the 4k doesn't like too much IR at closer ranges, so the T-20 works well for me at the distances I generally shoot. I have brighter illuminators but they seem to wash out the view too much at 60 yards.

49019470203_ac56955acf_c.jpg

49020191917_ffb1c189a6_c.jpg

49019470138_d3f7a03f35_c.jpg

After dropping the coyote, I went back to bed but later got up and just scanned the field to see what I could see. There
were two deer grazing, but I also noticed a white skunk that I had seen earlier on the trail camera. I took the shot and
held directly on him at a distance of 142 yards (later measured with Leica rangefinder). Both coyote and skunk are in the
video below.

49019472198_8280b3ee38_c.jpg

49020194072_6a1964f5de_c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R6ljdkFT1Y&feature=youtu.be

Well, luck has been with me lately. I got another coyote last night, a female this time. Around 0230 in the morning the alarm went off. I quickly got out of a comfortable sleeping bag to check. To my surprise there were two coyotes at the bait site. The female came down the hill first and was getting pieces of bait, but the second one (I suspect a male) remained up the hill, then turned and trotted toward my direction following the grass line. I returned my attention to the female at the bait site and took the shot, dropping her right there.

You know what they say about hindsight, well, I should have taken the upper coyote first and then concentrated on the female in the bait site which might have given me a shot. As it turned out I just got the one, and maybe caused the other to become very skittish at the cabin site.

Once again I used the Dtech AR 6x45 and the ATN 4k Pro 3-14x scope, but this time I switched to the TR-38 illuminator, 850nm since the T-20 I have been using was giving me some problems. The TR-38 is too bright up close on medium mode and slightly not bright enough on low mode. The T-20 seems to have just the right amount of light for the 60 yard bait site distance.

The female coyote was very pretty with colors of gray and black intermixed with the red color that most coyotes have. The Sierra 70 gr. Blitzking put a fair size exit hole in the offside, breaking the leg.

49030919911_3663101bd5_c.jpg

49030414493_0b470a969d_c.jpg

49030919861_75f9571049_c.jpg

49030919876_6b35707d4a_c.jpg

49030414443_3f071f0d94_c.jpg

49030919806_aaf7fc7351_c.jpg

Here's a view from the cabin to the bait site and beyond.

49031138977_481bf318cd_c.jpg

49031138957_6542328171_c.jpg

49030414523_a7c1294ca8_c.jpg

Back