Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 326 of 326 < 1 2 ... 324 325 326
Topic Options
#3214203 - 10/05/19 10:00 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Online
PM senior

Loc: USA

Good job on the follow up return, Burn. You are getting some action lately, and congrats once again to DoubleUp, a coyote’s worst nightmare.

#3215935 - 10/23/19 09:44 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
ManyMag Offline

Loc: TX
I moved my cat feeder Saturday, got my night scope mounted and zeroed on the new ar so hunting is on for tonight ahead of rain tomorrow.

#3217351 - 11/05/19 02:06 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Online
PM senior

My relatively new ATN 4k Pro claimed its second coyote the other night. This one had beautiful fur, black and gray on its back, gray face but its sides were more the typical reddish colored. The black seemed to go further down on his left side than the right. It would have been a good one to either have tanned or mounted, but the Sierra Blitz King kind of had different thoughts.

When I squeezed the trigger it went "click." I knew I had chambered a round earlier in the 6x45 AR, but I had to eject that one and re-chamber another round, causing the coyote to look my way. His attention went back to searching for bits of food, and I shot quickly and didn't give him an opportunity to change his mind. This just goes to show what I have been saying for some time now, that coyotes are individuals with different tolerances. The coyote in "4k Coyote #1" did not like either the glow of the IR, or the click of the illuminator, and didn't waste any time retreating.

As to the "click," I don't know what happened. There was no dent in the primer, yet the rifle was cocked or made a sound as if firing. I have since chambered that round again and it fired just fine. When it clicked, I immediately thought I might lose this coyote before I could get reloaded.

The illuminator I used was a cheap Ebay T-20 Ultrafire 850nm, 3-mode. At the 60 yard bait site, medium setting is good but at greater distances the full power setting is needed. I have found that the 4k doesn't like too much IR at closer ranges, so the T-20 works well for me at the distances I generally shoot. I have brighter illuminators but they seem to wash out the view too much at 60 yards.

After dropping the coyote, I went back to bed but later got up and just scanned the field to see what I could see. There
were two deer grazing, but I also noticed a white skunk that I had seen earlier on the trail camera. I took the shot and
held directly on him at a distance of 142 yards (later measured with Leica rangefinder). Both coyote and skunk are in the
video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R6ljdkFT1Y&feature=youtu.be

#3217363 - 11/05/19 04:51 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Great hunt, excellent photos, and video always add a lot to your hunts. Well done 6.

#3217543 - 11/07/19 06:19 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Online
PM senior

Well, luck has been with me lately. I got another coyote last night, a female this time. Around 0230 in the morning the alarm went off. I quickly got out of a comfortable sleeping bag to check. To my surprise there were two coyotes at the bait site. The female came down the hill first and was getting pieces of bait, but the second one (I suspect a male) remained up the hill, then turned and trotted toward my direction following the grass line. I returned my attention to the female at the bait site and took the shot, dropping her right there.

You know what they say about hindsight, well, I should have taken the upper coyote first and then concentrated on the female in the bait site which might have given me a shot. As it turned out I just got the one, and maybe caused the other to become very skittish at the cabin site.

Once again I used the Dtech AR 6x45 and the ATN 4k Pro 3-14x scope, but this time I switched to the TR-38 illuminator, 850nm since the T-20 I have been using was giving me some problems. The TR-38 is too bright up close on medium mode and slightly not bright enough on low mode. The T-20 seems to have just the right amount of light for the 60 yard bait site distance.

The female coyote was very pretty with colors of gray and black intermixed with the red color that most coyotes have. The Sierra 70 gr. Blitzking put a fair size exit hole in the offside, breaking the leg.

Here's a view from the cabin to the bait site and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpl93wY8cJc

#3217553 - 11/07/19 08:27 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
weekender Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: NC
Good to see some action up your way 06, fine shooting and thanks for the videos.

#3217917 - Yesterday at 11:47 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Burnsome... Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: GA
Nice job 6. Great pics to boot. Congrats

#3217969 - Yesterday at 07:34 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Burnsome...]
Softpoint Online
Seasoned Member

Loc: Washington
I like your shooting setup. I have a similar situation that I could bait from but do to the terrain and injured knee I can't at this point. Some day..

I could shoot without even getting out of bed!

#3218071 - Today at 02:42 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Online
PM senior

Thanks everyone.

Softpoint, I wish you well, buddy and hopefully you will be back at it soon. Last fall / spring I didn’t get a single coyote due to working a part time job, running here and there for family, and bad weather. I never get very many anyway, but I’m off to a pretty start with three so far since September. For here that’s not too bad.

Page 326 of 326 < 1 2 ... 324 325 326

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.