6.5 PRC

DiRTY DOG

Thinking about replacing my short action Savage barrel (243) with a 6.5 PRC barrel. 22-24" fluted heavy sporter type contour for mountain backpack hunting. 6.5 PRC has a 200+ fps advantage over a Creedmoor or 6.5x47.

I will be limited to copper lead free bullets so I plan on using the Barnes 127gr LRX @ 3100+ fps or similar Hammer bullets. There's very little data on copper loads, everything is geared towards the Hornady 143 and 147.

Anybody have experience with a 6.5 PRC and powder for the lighter 127 LRX? Temp stable only. R26, H1000, other?

6.5 PRC article.

48827452438_ffb75a557d_c.jpg

You probably already know this, but remember, unlike your 243 or the 6.5 Creed, the 6.5 PRC needs a magnum size bolt face.

I have had very little interest in all the new or relabled cartridges in the last few years. I even rolled my eyes when the PRC came out.
However, after a little dust has settled I've begun to warm up to the PRC and can see favorable comparisons to many of my ancient favorites.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I have had very little interest in all the new or relabled cartridges in the last few years. I even rolled my eyes when the PRC came out.
However, after a little dust has settled I've begun to warm up to the PRC and can see favorable comparisons to many of my ancient favorites. Yeah, I recently discovered the PRC and it appears to be a great (the best?) option for a short action medium range deer rifle or plinker.

I use ADG brass for mine. I would load data for the 147 grain for the bullet you are considering for starting out. Think of the longer bearing surface of the all copper bullet.

I have not needed to download solid copper bullets in other calibers (224, 243, 308). Plus the TTSX has 3 bands cut out to reduce the bearing surface.

48745343781_3ccda31fa3_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI have a bunch of H4350, is that too fast for the lighter 127gr bullets?
Look at the load data, for the cartridge and stay within their guidelines

I wouldn't be afraid of trying H4350 with those light bullets. 4831 would be likely more suitable... and H1000 is the go-to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: skinney22" hammers out of the 6.5 PRC.

48528249352_d105c4d973_h.jpg

drool.gif
wub.gif

Tim,
I just got this one finished up for my buddy! Straight taper CF Proof, Manners T5A, Trigger Tech primary, MK5, and the GRB LA. Shoots very well!

48981399316_ed73a08ddd_k.jpg

Dang it, James .....

Fine firepower it is !
thumbup.gif

I've been wanting to order a stock for a someday project, the last 4 months. I've yet too do it.
blushing.gif

I need to quit window shopping and just say NO !
laugh.gif

Back