Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#745162 - 08/19/07 06:05 PM bits for drilling horn/antler
canislatrans54 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Salina, Kansas
Hey all!
Just out of sheer curiousity, I'm wondering what type of drill bit you guys use to drill the mounting hole for toneboards in your horns & antlers?

As some may know, I've been tinkering this summer making calls from cow horn. And finally, yesterday, I got the nerve up to work on some antler.
I had been using a variety of step drill [unibit] bits. The problem was that the one I have that goes to 5/8" only has a 3/16" shoulder.
So I have been trying different types of bits to drill deeper...
Wood auger bits--only tried that once! I don't have a drill press or a vise, & almost lost a few fingers when it dug in.
Standard high-speed bits--too prone to not cleaning/grabbing, and cracking the horn.
Wood "paddle" bits-- this seemed to work the best, but using a 5/8" after using the step bit, it tends to "wallow" out the hole bigger than 5/8".

Yesterday I got a wild hair & decided to drill a horn and an antler base (both for howlers), using only the paddle bit...but instead of 5/8" I used 9/16".
Both drillings may have been a fluke, but I found it drilled straight (no wobble), and was totally self cleaning.
It also took less time than how I had been doing it.
And the holes were just perfect to friction-fit the 'boards, enough so that I could use the reed blocks that come with the KO boards, instead of using cork!
{I did actually glue the boards in, but not the blocks.}

Again, I'm just wondering what bits work best for you?

P.S.: Sorry, no pics!
The antler howler turned out just as I wanted, with a 5"L x 1" diameter, very slightly curved body that fits the hand nicely.
The 'board end curves down, & when the call is held level in the hand, the 'board is at a natural 45 degree angle in the mouth.
Unfortunately, I messed up the "decoration/lanyard attactment" on the horn & had to put it in the "ooops!" pile.

#745163 - 08/19/07 06:17 PM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: canislatrans54]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Loc: NW Washington State
Not sure what to tell you hand drilling, that's hard to do! Pilot holes, possibly several of them, might be the best method with high speed bits.

I use a drill press vice, and only occasionally bore with the hand drill. Usually the press over the vice. Forsner bits for toneboard or insert holes. Slowly, cleaning often. High speed bits for enclosed reed holes.

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

#745164 - 08/19/07 07:46 PM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: canislatrans54]
trashcan Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Bulverde, Texas
Will, I do like rainshadow says, start small and work your way up. I have a set of Black & Decker wood bits and a couple of regular Vermont Americans from Home DeadSpot that I use. Working without a vice really gnars up your hands(especially when you think you can stop the spinning once it catches ). I strongly suggest a vise, super important tool, a must have. Antler is fun, I'm glad to see your having a go at it! Keep after it my man!!
Trashcan
DCC

#745165 - 08/19/07 08:08 PM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: trashcan]
bearmanric Offline
PM Sponsor/Custom Call Maker

Loc: Tenino,WA
i drill a 9/32 hole on center drill with unibit to 5/8 then i use a counter sink to get a nice clean hole. wear good glove's.i use a dewalt hand drill. be careful. when the shop is done i will use a drill press and vise.good luck. Rick

#745166 - 08/25/07 01:18 PM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: bearmanric]
canislatrans54 Offline
PM Junkie

Thanks for the tips fellas!!
R.S. & Trashcan:
Yeah, it would be real nice to have a vise. But then I'd just want a shed to put it in, & a bench to mount it to!
I'm a true redneck, but even I don't want a vise in the front/living room!
So far, I've managed to let go of the material before it can injure me too bad. The "variable speed" helps.

Rick:
I hadn't thought of a counter-sink bit...THANKS!!

#745167 - 08/25/07 02:31 PM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: canislatrans54]
Weasel-UT Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: S.W. Utah
Quote:

I'm a true redneck, but even I don't want a vise in the front/living room!

I hear ya brother. That would be silly when you have a perfectly good kitchen table to mount one to. I mean it's right near the ice box and piped in water.

#745168 - 08/25/07 02:51 PM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: Weasel-UT]
canislatrans54 Offline
PM Junkie

Kitchen table?
Who has room in their kitchen for a table, what with the washer/dryer taking up half the space? [yep, I'm serious!]
Weasel, have you ever heard of a "Shotgun House"?
If you know what that is, then picture this...I live in a "Shotgun Cottage".

#745169 - 09/05/07 12:22 PM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: canislatrans54]
forty_five_packer Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Michigan Houghton County, area
Will I use High speed drill bits but I also use black and decker wood bits the one that I like they come 3 to a pack they have a flat bottom on them and are great for horns that have a good curve in them that a reg bit would just go straight through these you can go straight then put some pressure on them to go up down sideways you name it.
The one I got came in 1/2 3/8 and 3/4 they are great.

Andy

#3213840 - 10/02/19 12:10 AM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: canislatrans54]
Daniel Morton Offline

Loc: Western North Carolina
A wood auger bit works best, but recently I have figured out a way to sandblast the bone morrow out Leaving the antlers hollow, Why hollow you may ask,Put the lighting on the tips.

#3213862 - 10/02/19 10:57 AM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: canislatrans54]
GRIZZLYONE Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: So Cal
Try whats called a Dagger drill this is what the Aerospace industry uses on composites.

#3213863 - 10/02/19 10:59 AM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: canislatrans54]
SlickerThanSnot Online
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: stuck in a fence
this thread is older than moses.

#3213879 - 10/02/19 04:12 PM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
carvercalls Offline
Director/Moderator

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
this thread is older than moses.

It sure is!!

#3213885 - 10/02/19 07:08 PM Re: bits for drilling horn/antler [Re: canislatrans54]
GRIZZLYONE Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: So Cal
Well he11, I didn't realize that I ain't on here much these days!

Moderator:  220_Swift, carvercalls 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.