Time for a new rangefinder.

I don't think there is much difference in any of the brands,as far as the functional operating temps for the diode. If the unit ambient temp falls below 10 degrees Fahrenheit, the laser performance will degrade.

I just spent 9 days in the mountains of central Utah on an elk hunt and was able to run a Gunwerks G7BR2 2500 and a Leupold 2800 side by side. This was not really a apples to apples comparison as they are much different but I was able to get a good idea of the limitations of each. If you are looking for just a rangefinder without all of the other features the Leupold is a great choice. It would not get as consistent readings past 1000 yards on less reflective targets as the GW but I had no problem getting 2300 yard ( this was as far a target as I could find ) readings - often the same exact reading as the GW on highly reflective targets. The Leupold does have angle compensation which is nice. The built in ballistics for different cartridges, bullets and velocities should work well out to 500 yards in most cases but past that I doubt it, unless your velocity matches their calculation exactly. Also the response time is very fast on the Leupold. Aim, push the button and you get a range almost immediately.

The best rangefinder I have ever owned was a Vectronix Terrapin but it only did ranging. The GW RF is a programmable ballistic computer with a built in weather station, angle compensation that works in moa, mil, G1 or G7 and gives shoot to adjustments after showing shoot to range. It does have a separate button that shows windage adjustments in 10 mph increments but I find a Kestrel to be quicker.

I have used it many times along with a Nikon two sigs one was a 2400 ,a g7,a leupold. these were all the newer models.it seemed to work as good or better but none of them cost over 2000.00.plus it has a lifetime warranty. so I don't think it is a bad choice.

Originally Posted By: JoeyJ
The Leica is

Both have great error-correcting software but the Swaro will reach out a tad more at longer distances than Leica but the Leica will be a tad better say to 900/1,000 yards but the downside is you really have to have a steady hold or you'll miss the target either high or low due to Leica's precise control of the vertical beam.

That would depend on units. I've had the EL Ranges for a few years and the furthest target I ever hit was 2280 once, most ranges were maxed out at 1500-1600. Currently I'm running the HDB300's and I can easily repetitively hit 2400-2800, and have hit 3040.

Back