6.5 Grendel/ FTE

Grendel is stove piping. Checked out the bolt, ejector, extractor. Tried a brand new BCG. New BCG does the same as the one i have in the rifle. I have the set screw on the adjustable gas block screwed all the way in (bottomed out) rifle functions as normal locking back on the last round fired, but with fewer stove pipes. I was thinking about adding weight to the buffer, but now i'm baffled with the AGB acting like it is. Carbine buffer, Mid length gas system, 18" barrel. Any suggestions. I've always had some FTE with this weapon but nothing serious. This came on almost all at once.One other thing. It stove pipes with a loaded mag, and if i put a single round in the chamber and fire it without a mag in. That's why i'm thinking to fast of bolt cycle time.

Last edited:
LR454,

What type of ammunition are you using?

What type of buffer spring do you have?

Do you have an o'ring reinforcing the extractor spring?

Are you running the thing suppressed? If not? You may consider going back to a regular non adjustable gas block.

Horn brass 123 ELD AA2520 running 2435 fps

PSA lower Parts kit. Spring has 37 1/2 coils

Oring Yes

No suppressed

Brand new BCG runs the same as the one currently in the gun

Why with the adjustment screw set all the way in is it still functioning as normal?

you could have to much drag on your bolt carrier from trigger hammer or overloading your magazine. Just because it says 10 rnd mag does not always work with 10 you may have to only load 5 in a 10 I have had several magazines like that. A another possibility is gas port alignment is off and after being slightly misaligned you could have burned a larger hole in the edge of your gas block and either leaking gas (Blow by) and slowing your bolt down causing a timing issue to stove pipe. Have you tried any other magazines be sure and check for drag on your trigger hammer there will be some but sometimes way to much drag due to a possible out of alignment on your magazine catch or hold open on your lower.
Good Luck Rick

I only load 8 at the max. mostly 5. I do give the mag one heck of a good bump. Not that i know a lot about AR's, it seems to me the bolt is cycling to fast. Hammer drag what signs do i look for?

Originally Posted By: longrange454I only load 8 at the max. mostly 5. I do give the mag one heck of a good bump. Not that i know a lot about AR's, it seems to me the bolt is cycling to fast. Hammer drag what signs do i look for?

My thoughts...

When I assemble a gas gun with adj. gas block, I always start out with the GB closed plus 1 click open, then do the last round bolt hold-open test as I open up the GB one adjustment at a time.

If your rifle is locking back on an empty magazine, then you have adequate gas, buffer spring tension, etc.

If your fired case is coming off the extractor prior to taking a hike and causing issues, then it could be too much gas, as you are now suspecting, or an extractor issue (weak extractor spring, work extractor edge(s)), however, seeing as you have tried another BCG with the same results, I suspect an over-gas issue or magazine issue.

Have you tried different magazines?

The answer is right in front of my nose. Adjustment screw set all the way in. It should act like a single shot. The BCG is operating as normal, locking back on the last round. BAD GAS BLOCK. Called Tactical Ordnance to order a replacement. They're sending me a replacement 2nd Day Air no charge.

Originally Posted By: longrange454The answer is right in front of my nose. Adjustment screw set all the way in. It should act like a single shot. The BCG is operating as normal, locking back on the last round. BAD GAS BLOCK. Called Tactical Ordnance to order a replacement. They're sending me a replacement 2nd Day Air no charge.

Excellent...

Back