Accessorize The Wraith + Coyote Video

Thanks again for a very informative review of the Wraith Kirsch. After each of your videos and posts I seem to be notching upwards towards getting one for a second NV hunting rig. The one thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is determining how it will mount on a Rem 7 bolt action with potential eye relief issues. I may end up putting my current ATN 4K on the bolt gun, see how it works out, and use the Wraith on my AR.

I have had zero technical issues with the Wraith. The controls work well, and it seems to be built well. My biggest piece of constructive feedback is I wish they had a better base system. However, when it is tight, the scope allows for very good groups, especially for a digital device. Here is a 6 shot string from 100 yards. This was in a 15 mph wind and laying prone (no bench). 4 of the 6 shots in the same hole. No complaints on how it groups especially for a digital scope. I actually shot a grouping with the same gun right before with my glass scope, and the spread was almost identical.

group.jpg

I did post some earlier reviews from a night vision standpoint. I don't plan to use it in this manner, as I prefer thermal too much, but it is capable. The scope seems to be a really good value. I also called their support and they were very responsive to a question I had.

Very nice, Kirsch. You seem to be enjoying the Wraith quite a bit for daytime use. The clarity / resolution appears very good plus it has video capability which magnifies the hunting experience. Have you discussed with Pulsar reps if there is any possibility of sound coming in later models?

I found this little device recently for recording audio that could be edited into a video. Do you (or anyone) have experience with something like this? Looking at the FD-10 at the bottom of the page.

https://www.penrecorderpro.com/usb-voice-recorders/

Originally Posted By: 6mm06 Very nice, Kirsch. You seem to be enjoying the Wraith quite a bit for daytime use. The clarity / resolution appears very good plus it has video capability which magnifies the hunting experience. Have you discussed with Pulsar reps if there is any possibility of sound coming in later models? I haven't spoken to Sightmark about sound. The audio on my previous Trail and on my Helion are so poor, I rarely ever used it anyway. Lots of people use their cell phones to record sound. Another option is some type of gopro type video/audio. However, the more simple the solution, the better it is. I agree if the scope could do video and audio, it would be better.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06I found this little device recently for recording audio that could be edited into a video. Do you (or anyone) have experience with something like this? Looking at the FD-10 at the bottom of the page. https://www.penrecorderpro.com/usb-voice-recorders/ I haven't used one. The nice thing about one of these is a person could probably start a recording at the beginning of every stand, and just let it record through an entire stand. There are lots of them on Amazon as well. It would probably be fine and probably do a better job than lots of built in microphones. It kind of depends what sounds you are trying to get. It would most definitely record the gunshot and any words you may say. It might even pick up some of the call sounds. However, it is probably going to pick up the wind noise, and other items as well. You could always start the recording when a coyote shows up as well. However, I don't start the video recording until I see a coyote, as the Wraith doesn't have the RAV function, so to me if I was going to use it, I would probably have it running during every stand, as turning on multiple devices in the heat of the moment can be difficult.

Yeah, I wondered about wind noise too. You are also correct about attempting to turn on too many devices in the heat of the moment when a coyote suddenly appears. I missed a coyote this past spring due to having to wait for the DVR to turn on and begin recording. Seconds count and by the time the recorder started, the coyote was in retreat. I missed a running shot as he departed. I had the thermal scope on, but getting the recorder into action cost me.

Kirsch, Thanks for the videos and all the information you've put out on the Wraith. I have one on the way and I am getting pretty excited for it to arrive. Can you provide me a little more information on the Throw Lever and how you attached it to the Scope? That's look really handy and something I think will make Focusing the scope a little easier for a beginner. Thanks.

When you look at the image on Amazon, you see what it looks like together. However, you can twist the tightening nut the other direction to loosen or increase the size of the loop. You can either make it large enough to fit around your scope or you can remove one or both sides. You then stretch it around your focus knob and thread the tightening nut back on and synch it tight. You will have lots of excess, and you can trim that off so it doesn't get in the way.

Kirsch,
I have a question about the external battery pack. Are you running any AA batteries in the Wraith? I purchased an Anker rechargable 5000mah power cell and plugged it into the Wraith via the power cord you suggested. I had no AA batteries loaded in the sight and the external power pack worked fine, is this normal?

Yes, you can run the Wraith on Battery Pack only if you want. If my memory is correct, I think without the batteries, my clock would reset but I can't remember. I do have a set of AA's in the scope but run it off battery pack 99/9% of the time.

Are you using rechargeable AA's? I was using regular AA batteries from energizer and when they went dead the unit would turn off even if I had it connected to the external power pack. If using rechargable AA batteries will the external power pack keep them charged?

Originally Posted By: GkrepsAre you using rechargeable AA's? I was using regular AA batteries from energizer and when they went dead the unit would turn off even if I had it connected to the external power pack. If using rechargable AA batteries will the external power pack keep them charged? It sounds like you have the power pack connected but not turned on. If the external battery pack is on, it won't be drawing any power from the AA batteries. As soon as the pack is on, you will see the icon in the lower right hand corner change from the battery to a plug icon. To answer your question, I don't believe the scope acts like a battery charger if there are rechargeable AA batteries in the scope, and you are connected to a battery pack. Now, I have seen some odd brand power banks that don't stay on because it doesn't sense enough draw on other pieces of electronics. However, I have not seen that with any Anker packs and the Wraith scope.

I have standard AA batteries in the scope, and my Anker Power Pack. When I want to power up the scope, I activate my power pack, and then turn on the scope. If you forget, it will run off AA power until you activate the power pack.

The Anker power pack I'm using has no on/off switch, it has a button you press and three little lED's light up showing how much power is available. I was running the scope with the Anker power pack hooked up with the AA Energizer batteries in the scope. I was getting the plug icon in the lower right of the screen. It seems it draws power from the AA and when they go dead it wont draw power from the power pack. I removed the dead AA batteries and left the power pack hooked up and the scope powers up? I guess I will run the scope with out the AA batteries and see what happens. The clock still keeps time even with the batteries out and the Anker power pack unplugged. Thanks for your input, I will keep you informed on what I discover.

That little button that shows how much power is available is the "ON" button/switch. Put a set of double A's in the scope, and connect the power pack. Turn the scope on, and you will see in the corner, it is showing a battery symbol. This means it is pulling power from the batteries. Then press the button on the power pack and look through the scope again. Now, the icon goes from showing batteries to showing a power plug which means it is pulling from external power.

Mine does not work like that, With new AA batteries in and the Anker power pack connected I was getting the plug icon. I was out last night and my scope was turning off, The Anker power pack was showing the three leds all illuminated as fully charged. I unplugged the Anker power pack and the plug icon changed to the battery icon and was showing low battery in the red zone. I removed the dead AA batteries and plug the batter pack back in and the scope worked? I have it sitting on my tripod now with no AA batteries in the scope and plugged into the Anker power pack. The three little leds are on and the scope is powered up. I'm going to keep an eye on it this evening just to see how long it will continue to run before I go to bed later.

Old thread but....Gkreps, how/where did you mount the Anker powercore 5000 to the Wraith...part #'s are super helpful if you have any...I just ordered a Wraith and am tryimg to have everything else i need.

Back