Best barrel for 223 ar

Indiyote

So I'm currently hunting with a dpms Oracle. I have added a free float forearm and a rock river trigger to it. My question is would it be worth it to find a new barrel for it? Stock barrel is 16 inches but was thinking of going for a 20 inch. What are some good brands that wouldn't brake the bank?

I'm not much into 16" guns and prefer the 20" myself. The big thing is where do you find the current rig lacking? The extra length might give you 125 fps that is a wash under about 300 yards. It would cut down on the muzzle blast that might be worth it.

You'll hear all about Rock River now but based on my recent work at a slightly higher price point the Tactical Ordnance tubes that Ritch sells will get my nod every time. I like customizing my profiles so that has a major influence over OTC tubes. I'd ask Ritch about a flare profile to cut down on weight a bit if this is to be used on stands etc. Ounces count.

Greg

Considering the price point I have heard a lot of positive things about the Oracle. What do you want the next rifle to do? I really like my Rock River 2 stage triggers.

kwg

Yeah it's not a bad gun and the rock river trigger is a definite improvement (although mine is a single stage). Was hoping to pick up some speed but for the short range I'm shooting yotes at it doesn't sound like it would matter much

Originally Posted By: IndiyoteYeah it's not a bad gun and the rock river trigger is a definite improvement (although mine is a single stage). Was hoping to pick up some speed but for the short range I'm shooting yotes at it doesn't sound like it would matter much

I would think the Oracle would be a very easy rifle to carry in rough and heavy brush due to it's size and weight. An extra 4 inches of barrel would get you some velocity and some extra reach but you will lose some portability. I have a 20" AR but it rarely leaves the house since I have several 16" rifles that are so much easier to pack around.

kwg

If I was gonna spend money on a barrel for night hunting and you dont reload I would be looking into a 22 Nosler in 22". It would allow you to stretch things out a considerable amount.I would then watch Midwayusa for the next time their dogtown ammo goes on sale and stock up if it shoots to your liking. My 12 twist 22" Whiteoak Armament barrel is very accurate and not very picky about what it is accurate with. Figure 55s at 3500 fps.

Last edited:
I would also add at today's prices I wouldn't bother tearing an upper apart. I would pick up a $120 bca sidecharging upper/bcg combo and a 40 to 50 dollar handguard along with a new gas tube and gas block for 30 and just slap you lower on it. These sidecharging set ups make great hunting rigs to point I will no longer use a rear charger.

Last edited:
Back