Colt

awesome. if it is political.... i hope the LE/mil contracts get 86'ed and the end up in the gutter of history for dumb decision that are politically motivated.

but whatever - as noted by colt in their press statement... you can buy an AR from dozens of manufacturers these days.

might well be a market share issue, and according to investopedia they have been focusing on govt contracts for a while now, not civilian sales.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/071315/why-colt-went-out-business.asp

It seems like Colt has been going out of their way to piss off their customer base and the shooting public in general with their antics for quit a while now. One example their current production of 3rd Gen Single Action Army revolver quality is so bad I don't why they even bother. The case color is really poor and earlier this year they had issues with cracks in the frames on the latest SAA's. WTH? Maybe they ought to just close their doors. Grizz

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: boomstick1No way! link to article?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/colt-suspends-ar-15-rifle-production

Regards,
hm
If I understand the article there are two reasons for this 1. they're trying to catch up on their military contracts and 2.AR15 sales have dropped since Trump got elected and the prices have dropped and like the article said there is a glut
of ARs out there.The mainstream media is blowing this out of proportion as usual,once people start panic buying the prices will go back up and I'll bet they start selling again.This is kind of a win/win for colt,they look good politically and it helps raise the prices.Besides there are plenty of good AR companies out there now as good as colt or better.Idon;t think there is anything to worry about.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEThey might look good politically to you.
They don't look good politically to me,but to the average person or anti gunner out there they look like they are doing something to stop the gun violence and takes the heat off them.

They may look good to anti firearms types if and when they completely go out of business. As long as their in the firearms business they will continue to be demonized along with other gun manufactures and the rest of us. These days the 'average person' has been indoctrinated by the left and they vote plenty to worry about. This move by Colt truly is spineless.

In my opinion it doesn't matter whether it makes good Financial sense or not. What I see is the company bailing on the people who back them up and giving more ammunition for the anti-gunners to say look even this company is backing off because they don't believe civilian should have these weapons of war.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEThey may look good to anti firearms types if and when they completely go out of business. As long as their in the firearms business they will continue to be demonized along with other gun manufactures and the rest of us. These days the 'average person' has been indoctrinated by the left and they vote plenty to worry about. This move by Colt truly is spineless.

Of course they're spineless they're like all the others out there that are caving,they want their cake and eat it too.

I can't help but to think that the recent mega settlements against J&J and Purdue might have something to do with it.

first off - it looks like the media is overblowing this making it APPEAR colt is virtue signaling with this whole thing. when the left runs with a (potentially) anti-2a story this solid... you have to say 'wait a second'.

2nd...colt has been (over)charging for their name on the package for years now.

a basic m4-gery style ar from them - base model, plastic handguards, iron sights, 16" barrel, [beeep] plastic stock, mil spec everything, was selling for what? $1000 or so (give or take $100).

as noted - you can buy a mil-spec m4-gery style ar from a half dozen other manufacturers (if not double that) for half that price - or less!

who besides colt fanboys and collectors is gonna pay double for a name on the box. it'd be different if they werent using basic mil-spec stuff... but we're talking their base model product.... a 100% milspec rifle.

budsgunshop has roughly 7 pages of ar's in stock for under $1k, many with features well above and beyond a basic mil-spec M4-gery.

and god forbid if you were savvy and ordered an upper from someone like Ritch and threw it on a above-basic lower... you can get a LOT of gun for the same $1k price point.

Third off?
lol.gif

I didn't read the article, nor do I know their reasoning, but Colt has a long history of not really wanting civilian sales. They changed their rifles 30 years ago or more with different pin sizes, cutting off bayonet lugs, adding that block in the lower that eliminates the possibility of adding a fa fcg or bcg. I have a pre-ban Colt Hbar flattop from the early 90's, and it was always very accurate and stone-cold reliable, which couldn't be said back then for the few other brands available then. So I think Colt makes good stuff, but this move doesn't surprise me either.

They've been over-priced for decades for mostly not-so-superior, average, union-bloated products. Colt WAS an innovator once....for many decades actually....no more. They're USMC 1911's were cracking, ar's dont match up pin sizes w/ milspec, and prices are high vs the competition for what you get, etc. I do see the financial benefit to them to do this right now, and applaud them for some solid fiscal maneuvering. And, yes, the media is turning into what they wanna see.

what I've seen is that they're stopping production of them for now, not sales. They have a warehouse full of them already, not much point in making more until that inventory goes down.

A very poor political move if that was behind their intentions. Even if it isn't a political move, it could be very harmful to them, just like S&W poor political position years ago. Financially I could see how it makes sense for them to stop selling to civilians.

Back