Hate to start a rumor...

pyscodog

...but I went to get some powder this morning and the guy at the LGS told me that the plant that produced Varget burnt and we might not see Varget on the shelf until the summer of 2020. I did a Google search and didn't see anything. Has anyone heard any reports of this? Sure don't want to start a scare but sure like to know if this is true. Bought two pounds just to be a little ahead of the rush if its true.

That's all it takes to start a panic for another several year shortage on the shelf.
I have a friend that is tripping over primers he bought from rumor scares decades ago.
Hope we don't see another .22 scare in my lifetime. I have several other friends that have more .22 ammo stockpiled than I could shoot in many lifetimes.

I looked again and found a little on the Shotgun World site. Supposedly someone called and its a false rumor. No fire. Thats great to know.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI looked again and found a little on the Shotgun World site. Supposedly someone called and its a false rumor. No fire. Thats great to know.

Whew ! Thought I might have to add to my pile. I have some working stock and an 8 lb. jug already.

I know nothing about the plants that produce gun powder but I was having a hard time thinking one plant for making one powder. If it was a major fire, it would have been on the internet someplace. Bad thing is, it is getting around. Hope people take the time to check before freaking out and make it hard to get.

I'm not aware of any "specific" plant material ( cellulose) used in smokeless gun powder other than "pulpwood pine trees" ( paper) and if they all burned up...well....Oh yeah. I bought the last 3000 Fed 215M a shop had, back in 1994! I'm still using them! ha

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeMust have to much on the shelves and needs to unload some.

Actually Tim the first store I was at had none on the shelf. I said, "No Varget"? He said "Good luck, the plant burned down and we'll be lucky to see any by the summer of 2020. I went to the shop I use to work at and they had a bunch of it and hadn't heard anything about a plant burning. I came home and ask on here and did some surfing and saw on Shotgun news that it was just a rumor. I bought a couple of pounds that will hold me over for a while.

rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a couple of pounds that will hold me over for a while.

lol

Well with only a 223 that I use Varget in and two pounds on the shelf and the two more I just bought.....ya it should last. Sorry it doesn't meet you standard usage Orkan. I bet you get yours in a FedEx truck full of 8 pound jugs. That should last you a couple of days. LOL

Originally Posted By: pyscodog...but I went to get some powder this morning and the guy at the LGS told me that the plant that produced Varget burnt and we might not see Varget on the shelf until the summer of 2020. I did a Google search and didn't see anything. Has anyone heard any reports of this? Sure don't want to start a scare but sure like to know if this is true. Bought two pounds just to be a little ahead of the rush if its true.

Maybe what you are hearing is like 4-5 year old news being re-born...........? And you are aware that Varget is imported, right...?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?274400-Varget-vs-H4895

Scroll down and read the posts by GabbyM and tomme boy (2nd post).

I heard the other day that the guy that told me isn't the most truthful person to get information from. He's a one day a week counter guy at the store I buy reloading stuff from. What do they say.... Believe half what you see and none of what you hear.

I just called Hodgdon Powders in Kansas. The fire is a rumor.

But the store still says their distributor called and said there was a fire. IDK???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI just called Hodgdon Powders in Kansas. The fire is a rumor.

If truly you, "Hate to start a rumor...", that would have been an extremely logical choice prior to starting a rumor thread.

Do you follow a lot of advice provided by your LGS...?

I too just got off the phone with Hodgdon and the guy that I talked with told me that its the first he has heard about it. He also told me that they had just shipped 320 pound of it to Powder Valley and that Hodgdon had received shipments in the past two weeks as per normal.

It was an issue in 2014-15 due to a plant fire in Australia, but as we all know the effects of that have long passed.

The company some of us keep.........
laugh.gif

I use Varget powder, so I wanted to know the truth. As for advice from the LGS, yes I do if its from the owner. He's very knowledgeable on reloading as almost everything he shoots is a wildcat custom rifle. The story of the fire came from a one day a week employee and the person that is full time and a purchaser. The information that there wasn't a fire came from Mike at Hodgdon Powders in Shawnee Kansas. I heard a rumor, I just want to know if its true or not.

Now on the flip side......should I believe you any more or less than the people at the store?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI use Varget powder, so I wanted to know the truth. As for advice from the LGS, yes I do if its from the owner. He's very knowledgeable on reloading as almost everything he shoots is a wildcat custom rifle. The story of the fire came from a one day a week employee and the person that is full time and a purchaser. The information that there wasn't a fire came from Mike at Hodgdon Powders in Shawnee Kansas. I heard a rumor, I just want to know if its true or not.

Now on the flip side......should I believe you any more or less than the people at the store?

Are you perhaps calling me a liar about calling Hodgdon?

People like you believe whatever you think is best for you at the moment. "Hate to start a rumor..." indeed.
laugh.gif
You thrive on rumors to keep your tiny little world spinning. Ain't that right Bill?

Back