75gr Speer Gold Dot in .22-250AI

Acronin

These seem to be a really solid bullet. They are bonded to the jacket and are also very accurate out of my .22-250AI 1:9.

I'm headed to Texas this February and want to top this rig with my ATN X-sight pro 4k.

I haven't had any experience shooting these bullets at live critters, but was hoping somebody could give me some insight into the matter.

Thanks,

Andy

I just ordered 1000 of them.

Odd how cheap they are compared to other match bullets. And even more odd at how cheap they are compared to other bonded bullets.

I will post results here when i get the time. From what i have seen on youtube and such, the ballistic gel performance is outstanding.

I have used the 90 grain bonded soft points in 6.8 SPC for hogs and they worked just fine.

That being said......I assume you are taking about the 55 grain in 22-250. That's a small bullet for hogs but plenty of guys kill hogs with the .223 but most try to get up around 70 grains.

As noted in many posts you can kill a hog with proper shot placement with just about any caliber to include a .25 cal PCP air rifle but I would try to come up with a more suitable caliber.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757
That being said......I assume you are taking about the 55 grain in 22-250.

I think the title says 75gr Gold Dot. He also posted that they are accurate.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchOriginally Posted By: Gman757
That being said......I assume you are taking about the 55 grain in 22-250.

I think the title says 75gr Gold Dot. He also posted that they are accurate.

My bad. A tried quick search on Ammoseek.com and could not find anything but 55 grain soft points in 22-250 so I thought the 75 was a typo. I don't reload so I didn't take time to research the entire 22-250 bullet choices. I also did not catch the Ackley Improved.

They will need to be accurate because that is a small bullet for hogs IMO. I've killed a bunch and the first shot is a gimme and you can kill them with just about anything that is accurate with an ear shot. After that it's hogs on the run and it takes a round with as much downrange energy as you can get because the ear shot is over.

Last edited:
I used the Sierra 65 Grain GameKings in my 22/250AI.
It Puts a Hog Down Quick....Neck, Head, Ear, and CNS Shots Rule.
Those 75gr Speer Gold Dots will work equally as well.
Go get "em!!

Thanks fellas, I'm excited to try them. They are excellent as far as accuracy. I may shoot a doe with them this year to see how they do. But a doe vs Hog isnt a great comparison. Here in Nebraska we dont have anything that's as tough as a hog...

I have loaded them in my 22nosler. They are moving along at 3100fps from a 20” barrel. I’m planning on using them in March for hogs. I’ll keep u posted.

It seems from reading this post that some of you are headed south to hunt hogs and you want to bring your coyote rigs. Just about any caliber will kill a hog with a well placed head shot so if the hunt you have lined up is a one shot one kill setup you will be fine using whatever you used for coyotes. I have a hunting buddy that sometimes kills hogs with suppressed .22 using subsonic ammo so whatever you bring should work.

If you plan to stalk sounders of hogs or want to kill multiple hogs I suggest getting a rifle better suited for the task of bringing down the runners. Actually the fun part of hog hunting starts after the first one is DRT.

My best "out of the box" hog rig suggestion would be a Savage MSR 10 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a proprietary upper and lower design by Savage and is basically a downsized AR10 so it is much closer in size to an AR15.

It has a 18 inch threaded barrel with an adjustable gas block so it is suppressor ready also. It is available in 308 but I prefer the lower recoil of the 6.5 Creedmoor for shot recovery on the runners.

It's certainly not necessary but a really good excuse to buy a new rig. I think they run around $1200 now.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=22902

Last edited:
This is good to know. I'm heading down to Denison, TX this weekend. Although it's not a heavy hitter by any means, I do plan on taking my 6mm Mongoose loaded up with 80gr Hornady GMX traveling around 2800fps from my 18" barrel.

I also have my 5.56 loaded up with 75gr Speer Gold Dots which I think will also do well.

I know the runners will be the issue with dropping them on the spot, but we hunt in open areas and hopefully can trail them.

I just put together a 22-250 1:12 twist......I have some Speer Gold Dot 62 gr bullets I tried to load in my 5.56.....I never got a group better then 1 1/2" at 100 yds.
I was hoping to use them in my 22-250 but....looked everywhere for the COL and no one has it for 22-250....called speer and they said I shouldn't use them in the 22-250 because it was plated.....weird!!!
Maybe they plate it to bond it. They wouldn't give me any details but were pretty clear about not using it in the 22-250. I asked if it would be okay If I down loaded it....they just said be very careful. They know something they are not telling.

Back