how short of a barrel is too short .308 mountain rifle

Shawn, I had my A-bolt 308 cut down to 18" plus had it threaded.
Accuracy is as good as before, the velocities and energies dropped some,
getting +2800 fps from factory Superformnce 150 SST Hornady.

I had this T3 .308 cut to 20"s before the muzzle brake was installed.

This elk was one I killed last December. The shot was right at 615 yards, using a 155 Scenar pushed by Varget. This is the only time I have ever actually caught one in an animal. You can see where the bullet entered the shoulder. I found it just inside the hide on the opposite side.

Point being that cutting it to 20"s is not going to hurt anything ballistics wise.

That said, when you start making them very light, they may still possess the mechanical accuracy and ballistic ability, but the rifles themselves are more difficult to shoot accurately.

I know that my particular T3 is a true sub .5 MOA rifle. I have proven that repeatedly. However I have to be practiced up, and usually have a very solid rest, usually including a sand sock and a good solid front rest.

If I get even slightly sloppy with my fundamentals, the groups open up very quickly. In actual field conditions, such as when it is 10 degrees out and snowing, numb fingers etc, I know I cannot shoot the rifle even close to its true potential. I am very happy if I can get 1 MOA.

When you chop barrels and lose weight, it affects more than just weight, If longer range accuracy is a factor, this may be something you may want to consider.

The Texas warehouse rifle tests revealed the optimum barrel length is 21 3/4". I had matching 22-250 barrels recently completed, finished threaded at 21 3/4". Both will shoot 5 into 1 ragged hole with 2 types of factory ammo and handloads suppressed,unsuppressed. If weight is not critical(8 or less oz) all my future hunting barrels will be 21 3/4". These barrels are on stock R700 bdl actions.

I shot a Savage Striker in 308win for a while before rebarreling to 260, then 7-08. The Striker left the factory at 14”, and it certainly didn’t struggle to perform in the field.

Back