Suggestions on 16” 223 Wylde barrel

KamronG

I am wanting to purchase a 16” 223 Wylde barrel for my AR-15. This gun will strictly be a coyote calling rig. I will only be shooting 50 grain bullets. I would like it to be an HBAR or a pretty heavy barrel because I will be running a suppressor on it. A black barrel would be preferred but not opposed to a stainless one. Would like to keep the cost around $300 but might be willing to spend up to $400 on one. So far ballistic advantage and Faxon have my attention. Does anyone have a suggestion on what would be a good accurate barrel for around those price points?

Thanks in advance for responses

I think you would be tickled if you had Ritch get you a barrel from Tactical Ordnance. It will fit all your criteria and come in at your price point. The accuracy will be stellar with little work. His contact info is below so another plus is that he's a Sponsor here. Give him a cal. He loves to talk and speaks suppressor.

Greg

Last edited:
I've been very happy with my BA 223 wylde in 16". Purchased it to throw bulk ammo, and it does it very well. Def going to get another. It's a fluted SPR, so probably lighter than you're looking for, but take at their heavier barrels.

I agree with GI shooter and DIRTY DOG I currently own a 280.00 rock river barrell got rid of my faxon could not get it to shoot anything exceptable.My last 2 ar15 I put together 1 is a rock river barrel shoots 40 to 60gr awesome with bench mark powder.Well within MOA and then I bought a complete AR 15 1in 7 twist AR stoner upper on sale at midway $250.00 I am told I got lucky but its the best shooting AR 15 I have and I own 12 defferent variations of different barrels WOA,AR Stoner,Rock River,They all shoot a particular load well.Dont be afraid to try a Stoner midway has a good return policy if your not satisfied.
Good Luck Rick

He sold his AR Stoner to me. I should get it in the mal today. Hoping I can put it on after work and shoot it. I have 8 to 10 differant loads ready to shoot.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I’m really leaning toward the Rock River 16” mid length fluted chrome Moly barrel. I’ve always heard good things about Rock River barrels.

Rock River has regular rotating sales from 10% to 25% off barrels and accessories etc. Current sale is 10% off completed uppers only.

If it where me i would look at one of the smaller semi customs shops so i could get a 1:12 twist rate. If all you are ever going to shoot is 50's or 55's, you may get a teeny bit more accuracy out of it. Maybe a teeny bit less copper fouling between cleaning?

Better is better.

Make sure to get a mid length gas system.

With that weight bullet you will have great luck with H322, H4895, W748, R7 and Benchmark.

My 1:8 Rock River 16" midlength shoots 35, 40, 45, and 50gr bullets very well.

I think benchrest style slow twists are highly overrated for field shooting, hunting, and casual target shooting. Totally unnessessary for most shooters.

A number of good barrels to choose from out there. I have two Bushmaster 1/9 twist barrels that were purchased at a can't refuse price. The 16" pencil barrel and the 20" HBAR just shoot as good as my $350.00 'operator' barrels. RRA builds have been very good, 50 gr Vmax liked by all in the safe. Benchmark is a really good place to start for a stable powder.

Back