BFR 475 linebaugh or 500 jrh? Help me decide

Remingtonman

I’m looking at buying one these calibers very soon.
From a reloading/recoil and hunting/ bear protection perspective which one would you get? I’d like to hear from those who own one or the other. Looking to get either a 6.5” or 5.5” barrel. Any and all info/advice will be great thanks.

I would like to make a suggestion. If you like single action revolvers and want the best bang for the buck I would look no further then the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .480 Ruger. Using ammo such as the Buffalo Bore 410 grain there is not a bear of any size on the planet that would not be adequate for. I have one (as well as a .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk that I bought in 1973) and with stout handloads it's a real handful. A friend and I both bought them with 6.5" barrels and glad we did.

This same buddy is moving to Montana and was thinking about acquiring either a .475 or .500 Linebaugh for big bears and actually called John Linebaugh and asked for his advice. He said that there would be no gain going from the .480 Ruger to the .475 and between the .475 and the .500 that he prefers the .475 for hunting and bear protection.

When you can buy a .480 Ruger off Gunbroker for several hundreds less than a .475 is going to cost I think the Super Blackhawk in .480 Ruger would be the way to go. Check one out if you are of mind to. I just shot mine yesterday and it is more than impressive to be sure. If you lived near me I would let you shoot it as well. Sure a powerful gun.

With these hand cannons you definitely want it to have some heft to them. I have a 4in S&W 500 and you certainly know you're shooting something when it goes off. They're a lot of fun to shoot, just not something you'd want to spend all day doing.

Having both, a big 500 and 44mag, if I was looking to take one or the other into bear country, it would be the 44mag.

Last edited:
I think the 500 JRH makes the most sense in the current era, but I’m a huge fan of the .475 L, so I’d personally fault to that subjective bias.

If you want a 475 Linebaugh you might consider Freedom Arms model 83. These revolvers are machined from 17-4 stainless steel. Tough stuff.

Thanks for all the info guys, I like hearing and reading what others think/feel about these calibers. I think I’m going to go with a 500 jrh bfr with 5.5” barrel and reload it to 950fps for target and trail loads. It’s been a hard decision but from what I’ve been reading the 475 has some serious snap when you shoot it compared to the 500 jrh.

The 500 JRH has a good following. I have not had the opportunity to shoot one, but that may be a good thing as I don’t need another caliber to feed. Big bullet at moderate speed should be usable.
None the less some folks just have a hard time handling the recoil. I am no guru on bear protection rigs, but most encounters are close. Five or six shots are of little value if you don’t learn to control it.
I am ashamed to admit I shunned the 45 Colt for way to many years.
I picked up a .480 Ruger SA as soon as they were out. I really like it. My best accuracy has come from upper mid range loads. Though I was working on an express type load with a light bullet, funny a 325 grain is light lol.

I see more 454’s for sale used than 480’s. I shot some 454’s years ago and just was not a fan.

I have both revolvers. The 500 JRH is a BFR revolver with 6 inch barrel, while the 475 Linebaugh is a converted super Blackhawk with 5.5 inch barrel, which was a 44 magnum but is now a hard chromed 475 Linebaugh. The 500JRH is a fine caliber and will do what you want done.

Keeping 400/440 grain bullets at 950 fps is a real soft shooting load but if you load the 475 Linebaugh down, it's also a soft shooting caliber, like a 400 grain cast bullet with 9 grains of WW231 or for a faster load use 15.0 grains of HS-6 powder that will get you a fairly mild 1,068 fps from a 5.5 inch barrel.

Either one will take North American Big Game Animals with ease at 950/1,000 fps. Both revolvers can also be loaded to self-abuse levels, if desired, and kill big game at even greater distances.

The BFR is a heavy puppy but that's a good thing relative to felt recoil.

As mentioned before - the 480 Ruger is a kissing cousin to the 475 Linebaugh and would be a great big bore choice.

Waited two years on this Freedom Arms Premier Grade Model 83 in 454. Options include fluted cylinder, action job, ivory micarta. Grizz
wnYD089.jpg

Originally Posted By: tnshootistGrizzlyone thats very nice.

Indeed it is. Love to have one but just no need for it I suppose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: tnshootistGrizzlyone thats very nice.

Indeed it is. Love to have one but just no need for it I suppose.

When did "Need" have anything to do with it?
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
When did "Need" have anything to do with it?
tt2.gif

Ah, I dont know. I currently load for or did load for three .44 magnums, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .460 S&W, and now .480 Ruger. And I really dont feel like spending $2000+ for a handgun that will only be shot a few times a year. Got too many safe queens as it is.

Back