Nosler 35grn lead free

bmoore

Hey guys I seem to remember someone starting a thread about these and how they shoot. I know not everyone is going lead free like we are here in CA but I just wanted to post some feedback. Last year I got about 1 MOA out of 45grn Barnes TSX in my Stevens 200 in 22-250. This year I loaded some of the 35grn NBT LF rounds to try. The rifle is stock except for a Boyds laminate stock with a cheek riser. I got 2/3 to 3/4 inch with 38.0 grains of both W748 as well as Varget, COAL was 2.350. The rifle has a 1:12 twist. I am happy with this and may play with the OAL as well as put one more grain of powder in there to a max charge and see if things tighten up a bit. I have not passed them through the chrono yet but with 38.0 they should both be around 4,250fps per the Nosler manual.

Last edited:
I tested both 35gr NBT-LF and 35gr NTX. I found the NTX was more accurate in my Savage 223 1:9 twist during load development with 26.5, 27.0, 27.5, 28.0 gr 8208 XBR. The NBT-LF did start coming together near max but I just went with the NTX because it shot well at all powder weights.

Here are my test targets during initial load development. These were all shot in one continuous session.

Left Midway target is 35gr NBT-LF.
Right Miday target is 35gr NTX.
Bottom blank paper with orange dots is my favorite 40gr Vmax load for reference. This rifle loves 40gr Vmax!

48767791577_d6622bd4e0_c.jpg

Awesome, thanks for that info. I will give those a try next time I do a MiwayUSA order. I see they are a little bit cheaper as well, all my rifles love Hornady bullets.....mostly Vmax's. My Remington 700 ADL tactical (1:9) loves 40grn VMax as well......CFE223 and Varget powder.

Back