Time for a new rangefinder.

kam582

I've used a Bushnell rangefinder that I bought rebuilt probably 25 years ago. For archery hunting it works great, and I'll continue to use it for that, but for longer distances, like prairie dog shooting, it's a little lacking. Looking at upgrading to one that will reach out a thousand yards or so fairly consistently. I've always thought Leica was one of the better ones, but now with Vortex and Sig in the game I'm not as sure as I once was. Looking to stay under $500. Any advice?

I purchased a Sig Kilo 2200 two years ago and I really like it. I do not have much experience comparing a lot of different range finders so I can’t share a lot of info on it. A friend switched from Leica to Sig last year and purchased the 2400 I believe, the one you can input ballistics into and it gives you the dope for your target after ranging, and he thinks it’s the best!

I bought a Sig2200 from Cabela's about year and a half ago when they were on sale for $349 and it's been great. Furthest it has ranged for me was a little over 1800yrd on a reflective surface.

My dad used mine a little bit last spring shooting sage rats and liked it so much he went and bought one.

I've got a G7 BR2 RF that is capable of doing a lot more than my Sig2200 but with the Sig being so much smaller, I can't remember the last time I used the G7.

For prairie dogs and long range "ranging" - for accurate repeatability, if used correctly, the Swarovski & Leica are the brand leaders right now in the commercial field at "reasonable prices".

When considering range finders you might consider targeting reticle size and beam divergence in considering your choices. You want the tightest collimated beam possible.

Not sure what they are as of today, but the last I knew the Swaro had a divergence of 2.0 millirads both horizontal and vertical, which is very good for long ranging accuracy.

The Leica is better in some respects as its beam divergence is 2.5 millirads horizontally but only 0.5 vertically.

Both have great error-correcting software but the Swaro will reach out a tad more at longer distances than Leica but the Leica will be a tad better say to 900/1,000 yards but the downside is you really have to have a steady hold or you'll miss the target either high or low due to Leica's precise control of the vertical beam.

For long range prairie dog ranging, I'd go with the Leica and range the mound, as that dog with a large circular targeting reticle will be a bit difficult to hit accurately with that laser beam.

I've got the Sig 2000 and its good for my purposes but if I needed something for 800/1,000 yards on a smaller target besides a barn - I think I would look to pick up a used Swaro or 1200 Leica. Just my &0.02 worth.

What ever you do stay away from Nikon. Wife bought me a Nikon and after a year it would give erratic ranges. I sent it back for repair and they wanted $140 to fix it. Well that was about what she paid for it. Got them to send it back to me and after a month or so I pulled it out and replaced the battery, it worked fine since then. The crooks wanted $140 to replace the battery. No more Nikon anything for me.

We have these Leica demos for sale, while supply lasts:

Demo Rangemaster CRF 2700-B #40545 reduced from $899.00 to only $649.99

Demo Rangemaster CRF 2400-R #40546 reduced from $550.00 to only $449.99

Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougWe have these Leica demos for sale, while supply lasts:

Demo Rangemaster CRF 2700-B #40545 reduced from $899.00 to only $649.99

Demo Rangemaster CRF 2400-R #40546 reduced from $550.00 to only $449.99

Can't go wrong with the Leica. Been extremely happy with mine.

Been kicking around the idea of a bino with a built in range finder for P-Dog hunting and long range shooting (over a 1000 yards) .

Thoughts or Comments?

Doug,

Sent you a PM

We are actually running a special today:

Up To An Extra $150.00 off Already Reduced Prices - Today Only

To kick off Memorial Day Weekend and add to our already ongoing Memorial Day Weekend sale we are offering up to an extra $150.00 off already reduced prices on these great Leica Optics, Today only Friday May 24th 2019. To get this extra savings just call in the order, 516-217-1000, and mention you saw it on this forum. It's that easy

Demo Leica Ultravid 8x50 HD Binocular #40295 reduced to only $1,099.99 less an additional $150.00 = only $949.99

Geovid HD-B 10x42 Rangefinding Binocular #40049 reduced to only $1,499.99 less an additional $150.00 = only $1,349.99

Geovid 8x42 R - Yards #40426 reduced from $1,549.00 to only $1,149.99 less an additional $100.00 = only $1,049.99

Geovid 10x42 R - Yards #40428 reduced from $1,599.00 to only $1,199.99 less an additional $100.00 = only $1,099.99

I've used my Bushnell Bone Collector Laser Rangefinder and have been very happy with it.
Really simple one-button operations. It's rainproof. The case was included too. The Magnification is 4x

I upgraded my sig2000 to the Leica 2400r and don’t regret it one bit. The dog was good for big things your ranging like houses or a barn with the big target circle. Then I took it with out shooting steel and I couldn’t even get it to pick up the 600 yard gong. Plus had a coyote at 600-800 yards it wouldn’t give a reading on wouldn’t pick up the tree and bush that was right behind him. The only thing it would pick up on that stand was a rock pile that was like 300 yards. Was really mad called sig and they told me because it was cold out it wouldn’t work right, it was only in the teens I didn’t have in my pocket for about 10-15 minutes before I tried using it. It was just sitting in my lap for quick access if I needed to range a hung up coyote. So I sent it in and waiting 6-8 weeks it come back and said it passed all there tests. So I use it for shooting archery and use my Leica for hunting and long range shooting the lieca is way better.

Originally Posted By: zr600I upgraded my sig2000 to the Leica 2400r and don’t regret it one bit. The dog was good for big things your ranging like houses or a barn with the big target circle. Then I took it with out shooting steel and I couldn’t even get it to pick up the 600 yard gong. Plus had a coyote at 600-800 yards it wouldn’t give a reading on wouldn’t pick up the tree and bush that was right behind him. The only thing it would pick up on that stand was a rock pile that was like 300 yards. Was really mad called sig and they told me because it was cold out it wouldn’t work right, it was only in the teens I didn’t have in my pocket for about 10-15 minutes before I tried using it. It was just sitting in my lap for quick access if I needed to range a hung up coyote. So I sent it in and waiting 6-8 weeks it come back and said it passed all there tests. So I use it for shooting archery and use my Leica for hunting and long range shooting the lieca is way better.

I had pretty much the same experience. Had a decent range finder and couldn't get a range on a couple of good antelope bucks that were probably in the 300-400 yard range. I went out and bought a Leica as soon as I got home. I was able to range antelope out to 700+ that next weekend. Been very happy with the purchase. Looking to upgrade from the Leica 1200 and the 2400 is at the top of the list.

I went with a Sig Kilo 1400 BDX...def not top tier, but has a 5yr warranty.
Time will tell though, it should be here within the week.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterthe new vortex 4000 works great far better than the lecia,and swaro.and sigs.i have owned.

That would the one I would get if I were looking for a range finder today. But thankfully my Sig 2000 which is several years old now is still working great and hopefully will keep doing so. Best I ever had.

Finally got around to getting the Sig1400bdx setup...everything went smoothly and it seems to operate quite well...will be using it over the weekend to archery hunt in the woods so we'll see how it does in low light ranging deer hopefully...i'll report back, but so far pleased for the $$.

Back