1,000 to 1,200 dollar scope recommendations.

Merritt79

Looking for a scope in the ffp. My budget is 1,200 max. It’s going on a 308 main purpose is big game and long range target shooting. I built the rifle to learn to shoot long range with. The scopes I have been looking at are between 1,000 and 1200 dollars. These are the scopes I have been looking at.

Sightron iii

Vortex pst gen 2

Burris Xtr gen 2

Athlon Aries btr

Would like to hear what you guys recommend I have played with the pst gen 2 and was comparing it to the Nikon fx black 1000. If there are others I am I would love to hear about.

Thanks
Rick M

Originally Posted By: ackleymanSightron III

+1

I love my S3’s so much, I’ve put one on each one of my varmint rigs. And they can usually be found used on eBay for a great price.

Originally Posted By: JoeyJFor a few dollars more might find a nice used Nightforce ATACR F1 5-25x56 - worth a look.

This.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nightforce-ATACR-4-16x42-F1-MOAR-Reticle/223671048575?hash=item3413d5597f:g:Yx4AAOSwNdNdgsxq

Today is the last day for $100 off Tract Toric scopes...I had not heard of them till the new Meopta scope I wanted wasn't shipping....check them out on the web....awesome reviews, and it has Schott glass....right in the price range your looking at.....mine will be here tomorrow....at least check them out, might be what your looking for...rsbhunter

Last edited:
On animals I prefer being within 100 to 300 yards. I just want hit steel out to a 1000 yards or more. So I am looking at 4,5,and 6 power scopes.

While I have always liked my Sightron SIII scopes - I have 5 of them,the Athlon Midas will run right with them,and the Ares BTR and Cronus BTR scopes are far superior to the Sightron in optic quality,reticle's,and come with stuff that Sightron's don't like zero stop & illuminated reticles.
Tracking has always been Sightron's best trait,but the 3 Athlon scopes I have will track just as good.
Turret feel is better on the Sightron's,but after you remove the grease that Athlon uses on their turrets,they are pretty good.

Vortex is a great bang for the buck, especially with their warranty. Don't be afraid to go used and your money will go farther. You can find pretty good deals on the PST Gen 2s or even the Razor HD Gen 1s used.

Originally Posted By: 308GarandVortex is a great bang for the buck, especially with their warranty. Don't be afraid to go used and your money will go farther. You can find pretty good deals on the PST Gen 2s or even the Razor HD Gen 1s used.

Or get refurbished www.aaoptics.com

Primary Arms with the HUD reticle. 4-16 or 3-18, FFP. Once you sight in, you can use the reticle to range your target and get hits out to 1000yds. Made in Japan, lifetime warranty. I have one on each of my .308 LR rifles. Has windage, mil-dot, it's got more features than you'll need.

Link to Scope Well worth the money.

Last edited:
Sightron III 10-50x60 illuminated dot MOA-2 reticle on my AR10 made by Shaw in a 6.5 creedmoor. 1 on a 223 savage axis with Boyd stock and 1 on a Ruger M77 28 inch barrel 6.5 creedmoor. I know they are big scopes but no need for binoculars.
Other Sightron III you could consider is the 8-32x56.
I don’t think you will find a better scope for the money. Great warranty , great people to work with if you need to use warranty. 90% as good as a NightForce in my opinion at 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Marty

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANSightron III 10-50x60 illuminated dot MOA-2 reticle on my AR10 made by Shaw in a 6.5 creedmoor. 1 on a 223 savage axis with Boyd stock and 1 on a Ruger M77 28 inch barrel 6.5 creedmoor. I know they are big scopes but no need for binoculars.
Marty

??

Back