Need help with a problem bobcat

drjulian

New to the forum.

Having an issue with a bobcat here in SW Florida. He has taken 3 chickens and 3 ducks so far, caught him on my security camera. He strikes usually mid-morning or between 5 and 6 at night. The birds are in the coop after dark. For now they are in the coop 24/7 until I resolve this.

Had one a few years ago and he happened to perch himself right outside my kitchen watching the birds and I was able to shoot him there, this one is a lot more difficult. The area of his track is heavily wooded, brush and swamp. Trail camera shows this is also the common track for raccoons, possums, and wild pigs.

Since he hunts here during the day when I am at work (have never seen him at night), I am unable to sit and wait for him. From the cameras I know his path, so I have set up a large live trap. In the bait area I have put a speaker which broadcasting calls from a phone vie a hunting calls app. It plays constantly. I am using cottontail distress, as well as chicken and duck distress sounds. I have also put windwalker attractant on a wick inside the trap and a spinning decoy (random rotating fur). My thinking is I have site, sound and smell to attract it and since I am in a known path it seems logical.

Unfortunately it has not been successful, so I am looking for advice. I have to get rid of this problem but obviously he is much smarter then I.

Any help would be appreciated.

On the up wind side of the coop set the trap about 10 feet or so away from the coop. Put some tuna in the trap with no sounds or decoys. If the bobcat gets anywhere near the coop it should smell the tuna in the trap.

Or just put the trap a within 10 feet of the bobcat's known path on the up wind side with the tuna in the trap.

Using some of the canned cat food will also make some good bait if the tuna doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOn the up wind side of the coop set the trap about 10 feet or so away from the coop. Put some tuna in the trap with no sounds or decoys. If the bobcat gets anywhere near the coop it should smell the tuna in the trap.

Or just put the trap a within 10 feet of the bobcat's known path on the up wind side with the tuna in the trap.

Using some of the canned cat food will also make some good bait if the tuna doesn't work.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I am going to try moving the trap next to the coop rather the on the path and see if that changes anything.

I did actually did try the tuna/cat food first. Problem was the coons and possums would spring the trap before the bobcat...daily. That led me to the windwalker, as it does not seem to attack the varmints. But guess it does not attract the bobcats very well either.

Is there a way to discourage the coons and possums and still use the clearly more desirable bait?

Last edited:

Coons and possums are a real nuisance at my coyote bait site, especially the possums. If there is a way to keep the possums away while attracting coyotes, I would surely like to know.

You say he Hunts during the Daylight hours.....

Sat and Sun would have to be a commitment! Let the chickens out and set in for the long haul with someone else keeping watch during bathroom breaks.
I had to do nearly the same when fox were picking off my chickens. This was at night. Had to sleep sometime, so I took to setting up motion detectors with light (outside) and audible (in house) with a rifle setup in the upstairs window. Got the alert light was on and race up to the window, Bang!

220 in a cubby set with a bird in the hole will have the problem solved pretty quick. Hang a bird wing by a string above the set to get the cats attention.

When you catch him in the live trap, give him to the game warden, they will release in a different area.

Better plan ahead, call the game warden first.

Back