Loading with a cannelure?

pyscodog

Loading 325 FTX w/cannelure for my Henry 45/70. Book OAL is 2.590 but I'm at 2.610 and well past the cannelure so I don't really know how much crimp I'm actually getting. This is the max length I can use and still function in my rifle. Much shorter and the bullets in the case. Trim length is 2.100 and my brass is spot on. Any suggestions or just keep loading and shooting?

I pay no attention to cannelure on 5.56 or 7.62. Don't see why 45-70 would be any different. But then again, i don't load 45-70. Taper crimp should work fine regardless

If your loading in the tubular mag on the henry you might start getting the bullets in the mag pushed back into the case if you don't crimp them. The Lee factory crimp die will set the case mouth into the bullet and it doesn't seem to affect accuracy. I believe that C&H makes a tool to add a cannelure to a bullet.

Link

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/bullet-tools/CanToo

Last edited:
I use a Lee crimp die. Just a thought....could I trim the cases shorter? (It is a tubular mag.) Hornady brass is shorter than 2.100, more like 2.038. I have FC, WW and new unfired Starline,(its 2.098- 2.100) and just a few Hornady that was originally factory loaded ammo. The rifle shoots extremely well with this bullet and OAL of 2.610. I'd like to keep it there if possible.

If you shorten the cases the Lee Factory crimp die won't work and you will have to shorten the seating die enough for the crimp function to work. I'd just keep using the Lee Factory crimp die it should set the case mouth into the in un-cannelured section of the bullet enough to hold it.

Last edited:
Thanks AWS, I'll just keep loading like I am now. This rifle shoots amazing for lobbing cannon balls. I've had two other 45/70's in the past but they didn't shoot like this one does. Its the All Weather stainless with a Leupold VXIII 1.75x6 that Premier Reticle has reworked. Perfect scope for this rifle I think.

The last 45-70 I loaded for was my exFnL's trapdoor Springfield(original carbine) and we were literally lobbing 500gr cast bullets but he did kill a deer at 50 yards with it.

Last edited:
If your going to run the Hornady FTX in any thing but a single shot you have to trim to a 2.04 OAL... Thats why your factory brass is shorter.

Originally Posted By: reddog964If your going to run the Hornady FTX in any thing but a single shot you have to trim to a 2.04 OAL... Thats why your factory brass is shorter.

Kevin is correct.

Originally Posted By: AWSIs there enough slop in the seater die to make up for the shorter length.

The seater die will have to be shortened or the shell holder turned down for the die to crimp correctly.. I have done a few of them!

Looks like my Lee seater will adjust to crimp on Hornady brass which is considerably shorter than the other brass I have. My biggest problem now is trimming brass. Case rim won't fit in my Forrester. I have 125 pieces of new Starline and half again as much of various other brass. I may just try to swap my new Starline for some Hornady.

A friend had another type trimmer that kinda worked but his champher tool or mine would not clean up the edges. I need to trim from 2.100 to 2.040 and thats a bunch of manual trimming per case. There has to be a better way.

I just bit the bullet and bought new Hornady brass. I hated to trim 125 pieces of new Starline brass. Never know, I may get another rifle it will work in or I could sell it. Once its short, there's not turning back.

Does your friends rifle shoot good? Mines shoots way better than I was expecting it to. Hornady 325 FTX and 47 grains of H4198 shoots amazing. Kinda stout but shoots really good.

Last edited:
I crimp with my seater dies but in a separate step. Been doing this with my .44 mag, .454 Casull & .45/70s...You want a good crimp on the case to prevent slide-hammering.

Back