Anyone else runnign a Thermion yet that can answer some questions?

I finally got the Thermion Ive been waiting on, and just like when I got my APEX several years ago, the lack of an instruction manual is really annoying. Most of the features I can figure out, but I can't seem to get into a recording menu. Does anyone know if these units have auto record, and if they do, can that be adjusted?

Thank you! I don't know why I could not find that.

That still doesn't seem to answer my question though. I thought these scopes automatically saved video for each shot and maybe 30 seconds before the shot. Maybe I was thinking of a different model?

Your talking about the "recoil activated video recording" feature in the Trail models.

I dont think the Thermions have that feature. I looked in the manual and couldn't find it.

Saw a post on Facebook saying, Pulsar plans to add the recoil activated video function in a future firmware update to the Thermions.

I have heard nothing official on this, but it was a post showing a response from Pulsar about this. 3 brands have this feature that I am aware of in the thermal world including Pulsar Flir, and ATN. I have owned scopes by all 3 manufacturers with this feature and it seems like it is the most common reason for scopes to freeze. The Trails RAV feature didn't activate enough to be consistent. The Flir PTS series has a threshold setting so in theory you can set the threshold of when to record. Unfortunately, at this time, it doesn't save with each gun profile, and it still causes an E2 error at times and has locked my scope. I currently run the scope with it activated, but activate the recording manually if I have time, and then the scope performs better. If I don't get time, hopefully it records. The ATN scope I have used also locked up using RAV on a number of occasions, so I eventually turned it off.

What I am saying is, it is a nice feature when it works. If your scopes locks up using it, it isn't a nice feature.

Good info. Was thinking about trying it but will just stay with the manual mode now. Things jump off pretty quickly sometimes and I forget or don't have time to turn it on sometimes but as I have gotten use to the scope pretty much usually remember to turn it on. Have noticed that just leaving it on maybe isn't a bad thing as have forgot to turn it off at times or didn't hit the button well enough. Just have a lot "blank" videos to delete when I get back.

One word about the ATN X-Sight 2 is that RAV would not activate with my 6x45 AR. I lost some good footage because of that. I now have the 4k and don’t even bother trying to use it. I don’t want to take a chance on losing more footage, so I just activate it manually, which is a simple button push.

Originally Posted By: KirschSaw a post on Facebook saying, Pulsar plans to add the recoil activated video function in a future firmware update to the Thermions.

I have heard nothing official on this, but it was a post showing a response from Pulsar about this. 3 brands have this feature that I am aware of in the thermal world including Pulsar Flir, and ATN. I have owned scopes by all 3 manufacturers with this feature and it seems like it is the most common reason for scopes to freeze. The Trails RAV feature didn't activate enough to be consistent. The Flir PTS series has a threshold setting so in theory you can set the threshold of when to record. Unfortunately, at this time, it doesn't save with each gun profile, and it still causes an E2 error at times and has locked my scope. I currently run the scope with it activated, but activate the recording manually if I have time, and then the scope performs better. If I don't get time, hopefully it records. The ATN scope I have used also locked up using RAV on a number of occasions, so I eventually turned it off.

What I am saying is, it is a nice feature when it works. If your scopes locks up using it, it isn't a nice feature.
Kirsch, at what point have you experienced it freezing up? After the shot and it is activated or just having it set on RAV? Would be interested to know where at in the RAV mode that it is prone to freezing. I have not had this happen that I know of...on occasion, I have had the image freeze when it nuc'd, but hit the power button to nuc it again and it is fine. Thanks

Gene

Sounds like you are referring to a Pulsar. The image freezing on NUC, is typically the shutter getting stuck open or closed. You are correct, the best way to fix this is with a manual NUC for Pulsars. On my description I mentioned the RAV feature on the Pulsar Trails was very inconsistent. Lots of times, it just wouldn't record as 6mm06 mentions. It didn't activate enough for me to really know if it froze my scope. When the feature didn't record consistently, I turned it off. Bottom line is I couldn't rely on it. I haven't owned my Trail for over 1 year, so this doesn't mean there hasn't been a firmware update to help with this issue.

I think Flir is on the right track with the ability to set the sensitivity of the RAV feature. I have a silenced .17 HMR that I can get to activate on every shot by changing this feature on the PTS series. I also like a RAV setting where you can adjust the before and after time of the recording. Hopefully, all 3 brands will get the issues worked out with this feature. It is nice when it works and you don't have to worry about pressing buttons with coyotes coming to the call.

Originally Posted By: KirschSounds like you are referring to a Pulsar. The image freezing on NUC, is typically the shutter getting stuck open or closed. You are correct, the best way to fix this is with a manual NUC for Pulsars. On my description I mentioned the RAV feature on the Pulsar Trails was very inconsistent. Lots of times, it just wouldn't record as 6mm06 mentions. It didn't activate enough for me to really know if it froze my scope. When the feature didn't record consistently, I turned it off. Bottom line is I couldn't rely on it. I haven't owned my Trail for over 1 year, so this doesn't mean there hasn't been a firmware update to help with this issue.

I think Flir is on the right track with the ability to set the sensitivity of the RAV feature. I have a silenced .17 HMR that I can get to activate on every shot by changing this feature on the PTS series. I also like a RAV setting where you can adjust the before and after time of the recording. Hopefully, all 3 brands will get the issues worked out with this feature. It is nice when it works and you don't have to worry about pressing buttons with coyotes coming to the call.
Yes, that is correct that when it would nuc, sometimes the scope would freeze up. I have never had my RAV malfunction...it has always activated when I had it on this mode. Was just wondering if you were saying that when in the RAV mode that the scope would freeze up from time to time. Thanks

Back