Baiting

Was it the 850 light or the clicking sound made when turning it on? It sounded pretty loud on the video but at 60 yards?

Nice write up. I like how detailed you are!

Thanks Softpoint, the clicking sound you heard was the 850nm light when I cycled through the various modes. It has low, medium and high settings. There is an audible click but I don't think a coyote would notice at 60-70 yards, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp....Video looked like it would have been nice and clear if he had not spooked so quickly, but it happens at times.
I could see pretty good though the scope, but as I have mentioned previously, the 4k needs better contrast. I have been watching some of Deltagunner's beaver videos lately of the Wraith, and the video at least is better than the 4k, so I am assuming the resolution and contrast through the eye piece is better too. If only the Wraith had audio, I would be interested. I keep hoping they will fix that issue in future models.

The 4k is no slouch and is plenty good enough for the type of hunting I do, but I like good clarity and contrast, which I don't think it has compared to the Wraith. My home-made night vision outfit is at least as good as the 4k and better in most cases.

Sunday night I missed a male coyote at 165 yds. I pulled the shot slightly right at the trigger squeeze shooting off a tripod while standing. No excuse just a miss, but any miss for me is a confidence shaker. I needed a volunteer to help me get my confidence back. This one decided he needed some pears for dessert. I had made a few howls right at dark thinking I might attract one within hearing range, and he responded at 9:30 last night. I'm calling him the Redemption Coyote. The AR-15 with Varminter 4.0 suppressor and 50 gr. Speer TNT put the hammer on him. Here is a picture and video.

IMG_0524 by Double Up, on Flickr

Thanks guys. This one weighed in at 31 lbs. so not large for a male, but his teeth were showing some wear, so he wasn't last year's pup.

I haven't posted much but my light/feeder system really paid off this summer. Over 60 predators and varmints removed from my sheep pastures consisting of fox, coon, coyotes and hogs taken between March 1 and August 1. I'm not seeing much sign now and I starting seeing a few rabbits and turkey again.
When I figure out how to post pictures I'll get some up.

MM, we will be looking forward to the pics and details. You will need a 3rd party host like Flickr to publish your pictures on and then you can post them here.

https://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/93cce62a-26a8-45bb-9a82-279ec7c62f16/20190322_210144.jpg/:/cr=t:0%25,l:0%25,w:100%25,h:100%25

Use this address to see a picture of my feeder lights at night.

Last edited:
I will say they are bright. That's for sure. When I first started baiting coyotes I used a regular outdoor flood light to light the bait pile and the coyotes didn't seem to be bothered by it since it stayed on all night.

This thing is working beyond expectations. They key is the nightly consistency. Resident predators just walk right in but it's bright enough that I can get them in the shadows just as well. Once they've gotten that "free" meal they keep coming back. I added a sonic car alarm in series with the slinger motor. It works well to announce feeding time.
Pavlov was right.

88 acre property
15 coons
14 grey fox
2 coyotes
8 hogs

125 acre property
21 coons
1 grey fox
12 hogs

I have 2 feeders running and will be cranking up a 3rd on another 100 acre pasture as soon as I can.
Full disclosure; I've caught a lot of coons using a large live trap set at the feeder. 1 coyote was snared in the fence but all others were taken with a rifle.

Getting the coons was a challenge. The first 2 feeders I adapted are old Remington direction feeders. The coons use them like self feeders. They just came and went at will because they could beat the feeder. The large live trap stops that.

ManyMag, welcome to the baiting forum. That light certainly is bright as DoubleUp mentioned. Seems you didn't have as much success with coyotes as with raccoons, gray fox and hogs. Do you think that's because the light is too bright for coyotes to get used to, or perhaps there is a low number of coyotes in that area? Just curious.

If you want to send me a JPEG photo of the feeder and light, send it to me and I'll post it for you.

I don't have the numbers of coyotes at any of my grazing pastures and I'm thankful for that. My biggest problem has been loss of baby lambs to smaller predators. Bright white light allows me to see motion better than green, red or blue and the animals don't seem to care as long as it is steady and just stays on every night. Coyotes are hard to get when they show up though. Lots of brush here with limited visibility. The feeder just sucks them out of the cover. I lost around 30 head to coyotes at a different pasture a couple of years ago. I'm planning to clean it up next. That will be a real test.
I appreciate the picture offer and will follow up as time permits. I need to transfer them from my phone to the computer. Old dog vs. new trick thing slows me down at times.

I'm packing for a dog training trip so will probably be next week before I can spend the time.

Back