Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 162 of 353 < 1 2 ... 160 161 162 163 164 ... 352 353 >
Topic Options
#2540226 - 09/04/13 10:27 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Loc: USA

Coswurth, your coyote may not come around every night, most likely won't. But, if you keep the site baited and keep him something good to eat, he'll most likely be back, hopefully on a more regular basis.

Did he get anything to eat the night of the photo?

Well, the crows haven't been back since I hung their brother up. It's just a matter of time I'm sure, but for now they don't want anything to do with the bait site.

As to that rude coyote, I'll take care of business soon I hope, once my new scope arrives and I get it set up and sighted in. But, this yote doesn't come most every night like the male did, so it may be a cat-n-mouse game for a while for the two of us to show up at the same time.

I got the 4x4 post installed today and the 940nm light attached. The post is 23 yards from the actual spot where I place the bait, and is 37 yards from the cabin. The square board in the one photo is the bait site. I will use a remote DC switch to turn the light on and off as needed.

This new 940nm light is total black-out, no visible light at all. When turned on it just looks like it's sitting there and not in operation, yet it throws a very useable beam of light for the NV outfit.

I cut out a round wheel configuration for the light to attach to, and used a bolt with a wing nut so that I can rotate the light from side to side to get the beam properly alligned. The light housing has an adjustment for up and down, so I can adjust the beam just right. I set the post in concrete and am waiting for it to dry. I'll have to put a ladder up and do some beam-adjusting soon.

Also, I left a place at the top of the post for a roof of sorts. I may put a board or something over top of the light to keep the weather off.

#2540319 - 09/05/13 08:26 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Very nice set up there 06. Will look forward to an explanation of how it works out for you when you are ready to take the one you now have visiting.

Edited by DoubleUp (09/05/13 08:26 AM)

#2540478 - 09/05/13 06:31 PM Re: Baiting [Re: 6mm06]
cozwurth Offline

Loc: SE Virginia
06, as far as I know, the fox had the place cleaned up, and the yote went away hungry. He seemed to be really spooked by the IR light on the camera. My only customer last night was a fox. I only put out a couple of eggs last night, so it didn't hang around long. One of my hens was feeling 'broody' and had been sitting on about 20 eggs. After a little over a week, she abandoned the nest, so now all of the eggs are no good for anything but bait. 2-3 a night for the next week, along with whatever else I can find, will be what I put out. The yote will need to get there early to even get a snack the way that fox comes around.

#2540528 - 09/05/13 08:52 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Coz, you can use some dry dog food to supplement during those lean bait times. They eat it pretty good. They will also eat many kinds of fruit as well as most types of meat scraps. One of the tips 06 gave me was to scatter the food out a bit so they have to work harder to get it. Plus that keeps them at the bait pile longer and gives more chance for a good shot.

#2540532 - 09/05/13 09:07 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

I started out with a carcas and large pieces of bait, but quickly learned that doesn't always work well. Buzzards, crows, ravens and hawks get on it pretty quickly. I then began putting out smaller pieces, and as DoubleUp stated, spread them out a bit, maybe a few feet here and there around the actual bait site (put some in the bait site too) so the coyotes have to stay in the area longer to get them all.

Keeping a constant supply of bait is a full-time job. The main thing is to keep the bait site active by keeping bait out every night. You don't have to put out a lot of bait, but enough that a coyote would want to return for another meal. Feed them good.

This past winter I had a newborn calf carcas staked out that a local farmer gave me. It worked pretty good.

Use whatever bait you can find. Left-overs from deer are good too. If you or people you know deer hunt, ask for the leftovers. Cut whatever meat off the bones you can and put in freezer bags for later use, 1" to 2" pieces are best, just bite size. Wire down the leg bones, ribs etc. and stake them to keep the yotes from dragging them off.

Fox can be a real problem and will get all the bait. I had a problem with them last winter, both reds and grays. They come and go on and off all night, keeping the alarm ringing. It can be frustrating at times.

Once fall gets here that fox's pelt will be better. You might try calling that one and eliminate that source of bait theft.

#2540571 - 09/05/13 10:28 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
NYyotekiller Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Van Etten, NY
I take all of our table scraps and old food from the fridge that I don't dare eat and place them in a one gallon milk jug and store it in the freezer until its full. This time of year it's hard with the warm temperatures, but it's difficult for them to eat and takes them some time to get at the food. Giving you an opportunity to get the crosshairs on them.

When the freezing temps get here I use table scraps and make a huge "baitsycle" using a 5 gallon bucket filled with hot water and then froze. This will save you a lot of time with the baiting process. The crows and buzzards finally give up trying to steal your bait after a few minutes of picking at the ice making it last a long time.

Another thing I do is to make a main bait pile or site that is away from where I can see them from, or somewhere that they might be more apt to come into like in the heavy cover. Then I'll place scattered smaller pieces where I can see them from in my shooting lanes. A lot of times they are more likely to come into the scattered baited sites where they feel more comfortable and there is less activity from other coyotes and predators.

#2540581 - 09/05/13 11:01 PM Re: Baiting [Re: cozwurth]
Wallbass45 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: cozwurth
06, as far as I know, the fox had the place cleaned up, and the yote went away hungry. He seemed to be really spooked by the IR light on the camera. My only customer last night was a fox. I only put out a couple of eggs last night, so it didn't hang around long. One of my hens was feeling 'broody' and had been sitting on about 20 eggs. After a little over a week, she abandoned the nest, so now all of the eggs are no good for anything but bait. 2-3 a night for the next week, along with whatever else I can find, will be what I put out. The yote will need to get there early to even get a snack the way that fox comes around.

Hi Coz
Back when I was on the farm I used Surplus Eggs like your doing along with any dead hens and it worked well. But the times I didn't set out eggs for bait is when the Fox's started hitting my hen house more because they got use to the treat. So make sure your house is secure from the Night Bandits!! Boy I miss the Farm !!
I had an electric door on mine that would turn on at dusk and off at daybreak, and never had a incident from any critters. Then the critters learned that if they got there just before daybreak and then lay in wait nearby they could have chicken dinner. and since I was not up at that hour they got a lot till I figured out the game.

“There’s a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot.” JFK 7 days before his assassination

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”

#2540588 - 09/05/13 11:12 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Wallbass45]
Wallbass45 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Indiana
For you guys that are just starting your BP get your site started and then drag a dead Chicken, Squirrel, Rabbit or
other bait in a big circle around the site and then drag it to the pile then out the other side. Im talking 100-200yds around bait pile, this gives a large scent area to be tracked to your site so they can find it quicker.

Edited by Wallbass45 (09/05/13 11:12 PM)

“There’s a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot.” JFK 7 days before his assassination

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”

#2540697 - 09/06/13 10:26 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Wallbass45]
cozwurth Offline

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45

Hi Coz
Back when I was on the farm I used Surplus Eggs like your doing along with any dead hens and it worked well. But the times I didn't set out eggs for bait is when the Fox's started hitting my hen house more because they got use to the treat. So make sure your house is secure from the Night Bandits!! Boy I miss the Farm !!
I had an electric door on mine that would turn on at dusk and off at daybreak, and never had a incident from any critters. Then the critters learned that if they got there just before daybreak and then lay in wait nearby they could have chicken dinner. and since I was not up at that hour they got a lot till I figured out the game.

Wallbass, I've thought many times about getting an electric door for my coop, but too many other things are demanding money and attention right now. I'm using an 8 x 10 shed as my coop. The small chicken door is on the side, and opens to an enclosed 10 x 20 run between the coop and the shed that will eventually be my shooting base. The lower perimeter of the run is protected with hardware cloth, both on the ground and along the bottom of the sheds. The top is covered with deer netting to keep the hawks out and the chickens in. A coon or possum could climb into the run fairly easily, but the birds are locked in the coop at night. The weak point right now is the window in the back of the coop. There is only window screen covering the opening whenever the window is open. Hardware cloth will be covering that soon enough.

Anyway, there was a bit more activity last night. The fox was back, along with a possum and a racoon. I was surprised to see the racoon and the fox there at the same time. Last nights menu consisted of 3 eggs and about 1/2 cup of dry cat food scattered around.

I'm thinking I know why my hen abandoned the nest, too. One of the eggs got cracked and was rotten. I was gagging when I was setting it out on the bait site this morning... sick

Would it be a bad thing to set up a couple of small red LED's to shine on the bait area, or would a red kill-light on my carbine be better? I don't have any night vision stuff yet, and I need a little light to shoot by. I'm sure the yote was spooked by the sudden glow of the trail cam IR LED's, so would a constant small light be better?

#2540804 - 09/06/13 02:25 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Coz there doesn't seem to be a shortage of ways to do this baiting. Much of it depends on where one is located and how cold the winters become.

As to your light question. I've shot all of mine over bait using a spotlight shined on the baitpile. It stays on all night, and the animals don't pay any attention to it. I'm using one about 90 watts right now, but from my shop to this bait pile is about 80 yds. I shoot from the house which makes it a 145 yd shot to the bait pile. When I had the bait pile closer to the shop about 30 yds away from it, I used a 50 watt spotlight bulb, but could probably have done just as well with the 90 and it would have been much brighter obviously. You don't have to use red lights and in fact you won't get much light from them. I do use a red xlr 250 for calling but that is a whole different situation.

#2540902 - 09/06/13 07:23 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Cozwurth, At least you are having some action at the bait site, something to keep you excited and enjoying. I have enjoyed viewing videos of what comes to the site as much as I have the actual hunts. I always look forward to checking my cameras.

I haven't used any lights at the bait site other than infrared, but I have experimented some at home in my back yard with various red lights, testing to see how they might work. I agree with DoubleUp, you don't get much illumination from red LEDs. I abandoned my efforts with them and then went to night vision. That's the fun part, but you can do it like DoubleUp does too. He's dropped more coyotes than I have.

I have heard of a couple of people back here within the area that have used regular dusk-to-dawn street lights to hunt coyotes, and have had good success. I think it boils down to having the light on continuously. They apparently get used to it.

I have had coyotes jump and run when a trail camera kicks on, and other coyotes have paid no attention to it. They are individuals for sure. On top of that, I have had a coyote pay no attention one night, only to jump and run the next. Go figure.

The coyote was back at my site last night and got a good meal. A possum showed up earlier, and a raccoon was there just a couple of minutes before the coyote showed up. This coyote nudged both of my trail cameras, which is unusual though I have had it happen before. Just checking things out I guess, and no doubt could smell my scent all over them since I had touched them yesterday evening late.

Below is a video clip of the coyote last night, searching for the small pieces of meat scattered here and there in the grass. Notice how it pays no attention to the trail camera on the right when it turns on, and also how it lingers here and there searching for bait. That's what I want, relaxed at the site, lingering and searching. Also, it paid no attention to the new IR light on the 4x4 post 23 yards away. I'm just biding my time until the new scope arrives and I get things in order. Then......we'll see.

Click on photo to view video.

#2541462 - 09/08/13 08:43 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
cozwurth Offline

06, you're right about the excitement of just looking to see what is on the camera. That's pretty much the first thing I do when I get home from work now. I left the back porch light on last night, just to see if it made any difference at the bait site. The back door can be seen easily from the site. Videos showed what I think are two different fox. One is very relaxed, comfortable searching out the food. The other is very skittish, and it took off when it sniffed the poo left by the first. Up to last night, the videos showed the fox to be pretty relaxed. Maybe the difference is the porch light?

If I can get out my front door and get to the front corner of my house quietly, I can get a shot at the bait site. I am going to set the driveway alarm sensor out this afternoon to see if the signal will reach inside the house. It is still being used to keep the cats off of the dining room table right now, so mods will have to wait.

#2542053 - 09/09/13 06:35 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
aberry223 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Calhoun county,Mi
Ya I am thinking about rebaiting this year again but not running five bait spots it was a little much last year with the ( LDC ) on tampons in trees . That was all a good combo last year .

#2542107 - 09/09/13 08:01 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Coz, you never know for sure if the light is the cause of that one spooking or not, but I suspect that maybe the other fox might be dominate. The spooked one may have been somewhat afraid of it.

How far from the corner of the house to your bait site?

Also, movement and noise will be a factor, especially for coyotes. You're going to be moving, trying to get into shooting position. That could be a problem. Any way to shoot from your house?

One thought is to have a bench or something set up to shoot from at the corner of your house, and maybe some barrier in front of the bench to shield some of your movement, ie your legs and lower body. Maybe have sand bags in place and ready. That way you could quietly hunker down to get to the bench, ease the rifle in position and ready for a shot with little movement seen from the bait site. Just considering possibilities.

#2542171 - 09/09/13 10:09 PM Re: Baiting [Re: 6mm06]
cozwurth Offline

06, I hadn't really thought about dominance between the fox. That's probably more likely than the light.

The current bait site is only about 40-45 yards from the back door. Getting out to a shooting position will be next to impossible. I tested out the driveway alarm at the bait site yesterday and last night. It started beeping at about 9:30 or so, so I got my flashlight and snuck out the front door to get around to the corner of the house. Shined my light at the bait site, and nothing. I shined along the wood line and saw eyes that quickly disappeared. Busted. Unfortunately, there really is no way to shoot from the house. The pool and the swing trellis block view from the only windows near the site. I do have a gazebo out back with two picnic tables. I've been thinking about shooting from there. One or two of those portable blinds should work out fine to block sight of movement. I'll borrow one to see if it will span the gap between posts before I buy anything. The driveway alarm, as it stands now, seems to be pretty much a failure. The camera picked up activity for 1.5 hours before the alarm sounded. I'll have to experiment with sensor position/location, and antenna mods to see if I can get it working well enough to trust.

Last nights menu consisted of dry cat food and a slice of old pizza. I have video of two foxes eating at the same time, so that confirms my thoughts about two from the other night. I did not put any bait out tonight since I set my two foot-hold traps out with some lure in dirt holes. If they avoid the traps tonight, then I will spring them and set out bait again and try to get ready for a Friday night hunt from the gazebo.

Page 162 of 353 < 1 2 ... 160 161 162 163 164 ... 352 353 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.