4k Coyote

Don't forget where I am at. Hills & hollows. Sound doesn't go quit as far here.

You know he may not have seen the light, if he didn't hear the click. HAHA!

I have never had one spook from IR, only lights. My IR's have a switch.

Not doubting you 6mm or you DU, just my experience.

Last edited:

Just for conversation sake I will mention that I have a block of 3” foam covering the window and two small holes cut out to push the rifle barrel / forearm and scope through. The foam seals up around the forearm and scope so that no light from inside the cabin can be detected on the outside, so the window isn’t totally open so that sound easily goes out. I am not saying that coyotes can’t hear the click of the illuminator since I don’t know for sure, but I will mention that I have used that illuminator on other coyotes that paid no attention at all when I turned it on. If they heard the click you would think they would immediately look toward the cabin.

Coyotes look toward the cabin often and abruptly whether I deploy the 850 illuminator or not. One daytime coyote quickly looked toward the cabin more than once, with no movement from me nor click of the IR.

Coyotes definitely see the red glow of the emitter, no question in my mind, based on the many different ones I have observed there, but they have different responses to it, such as Tripod in the above video. At the click she didn’t look immediately but then did a couple of seconds later. She wanted to stay at the bait site but glanced at the IR again and instantly turned to leave. The coyote the other night looked abruptly when I clicked the IR and I can see how it’s possible he heard the click, but also he saw the red glow and that’s what caused him to leave suddenly, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI certainly agree they have great hearing. No doubt about that, but I've seen it enough to know they are sometimes spooked by the IR source especially if it comes on when they are looking at it. 6mm has some video of a coyote that was terrified of the overhead IR lights he used at his bait pile. Maybe he will post it at some point. Could be they are seeing it. Could be they are hearing the lights kick on. Many lights do resonate. Some when they kick on, some when they are running, and some do both. I'm not talking only switches here... but rather electric things and the noises they make when in operation.

Orkan, I guess it could be any of those things you mentioned including seeing the emitter of the IR. Coyotes are amazing critters for sure and just when you think you may have them figured out a little, they sometimes remind you that you don't.

Below is one other example of a coyote at my bait site. It did not hear, and / or was not concerned with the audible click of the IR. Also, it is evident to me that the coyote saw the IR, but was not concerned about it.

* IR light turned on. You can hear the audible click At 0:28

* Coyote sees red glow at: 0:57 Stops and looks directly at the light. I was not making any noise nor movement.

Looks to be a pretty young dog there. I'm sure some see the IR. I'm no coyote, so I guess I'll never know.

One thing is for sure, young dogs are young... old dogs are old. There's a reason the old ones are still around. I shoot quite a few big alpha coyotes. The bag of tricks that works in the early fall, doesn't work well come January. Some coyotes will let you get away with anything, while others will bolt at the slightest indicator. Old coyotes will not let you get away with anything.

9MWQ2pgl.jpg

Back