Why do you hunt coyotes?

I grew up in Chicago, in the 60's, duck and pheasant is what we hunted.

One day, I read an article about predator hunting and the author suggested a lip squeak, by 'smooching' on the back on your hand.

I went out in the alley at dusk, tried the 'smooching' and promptly called in a house cat.

I was hooked from then on.

I like the challenge and the abundant opportunity. It is also good for the coyotes and other animals if coyote numbers are kept in check.
Hunting coyotes has without a doubt made me a much better hunter when I'm trying to target deer, elk, pronghorn, etc. Coyotes are very challenging to hunt. They are very intelligent and use all their senses to avoid being killed. The shooting opportunities are often challenging as well. The shots are often rushed, you rarely have time to get a perfect rest for a shot and coyotes are small targets.

Calling coyotes to me is about as exciting as it gets for a hunting experience. It's fun bow hunting whitetails and chasing elk and antelope, but it's a one and done deal with big game. With coyotes, you can keep on hunting. I also trap coyotes here in Minnesota, and once the snow hits, the land trapping comes to a halt. Now I have the option to head to the southwest and continue harvesting fur. I absolutely love hunting the desert and high plains, when things get cold at home.
Predator hunting gives me an excuse to travel to the west and really enjoy this great country we live in.

My addiction started when they were openly harassing my new puppy in the winter of 16/17.

I saw them around a bunch before that. Never thought of shooting one very seriously though.
I had done a bit of testing with some 1390’s i bought during the shortage times. Ironically i put them all away labeled Coyote Killers! (No use for a 55gr bullet)

Then one morning my wife saw a huge male in the back yard.

I had the time to go load a mag and everything.

Since then we have lost 2 cats and my dog has been attacked again.

I shoot them when i see them and call them when i don’t. All on my own property.

I appreciate them keeping the rat, mice and rabbit population in check.

Its a good adrenaline rush to get a good shot when they are moving. Feels really, really good.

I used to load for tactical and target. They opened my eyes to hunting bullets and equipment.

Tactical and hunting play well together IMO.

Originally Posted By: SlagiattCause im not allowed to hunt whitetail, bear and cougar 365 days per year with no bag limit like coyotes.

Same for me: Gives off season practice and a whole lot more fun than punching paper.

Back