4k Coyote

6mm06

I had a bit of luck the other night, early morning actually before daylight. I finally had a male coyote visit the bait site while I was staying in the cabin. I used an ATN 4k 3-14x scope mounted on a Dtech AR 6x45 and a Sierra 70 gr. Blitz King bullet. This coyote is ole "One-Eye" that I have been watching for some time now.

I first used a 940nm spotlight that is mounted on a 4x4 post about 25 yards from the bait site, and control it remotely from the cabin. The 940 is pure stealth with no signature at all that I can see. For shooting I like to use an 850nm light in order to see better but also for better video. The coyote didn't like the weapon-mounted T-20 IR (850nm) and began to retreat. Luckily he was essentially going straight away so the shot was made easier.

The shot knocked him down but he managed to get to his feet and ran a short distance. It wasn't the classic broadside shot that I like. Once I deployed the 850 light and he saw it, he only gave me a second or two before he left. I have found that some coyotes tolerate the red glow better than others. I confirmed the coyote was down with an Apex XQ38 thermal scope.

48705840458_f97ab664a0_c.jpg

48706339747_fa9b5797f6_c.jpg

48706339582_cc246d95b5_c.jpg

As to the 4k, I could see pretty good though the scope, but as I have mentioned previously, the 4k needs better contrast.
I have been watching some of Deltagunner's beaver videos lately of the Wraith, and the video at least is better than the 4k,
so I am assuming the resolution and contrast through the eye piece is better too. If only the Wraith had audio, I would be
more interested. I keep hoping they will fix that issue in future models.

Originally Posted By: KirschNice shooting. Very interesting how light sensitive it was to the IR light.

I have seen the same shyness numerous times.

Neat Set up you have with the Shooting Cabin 06.
My Old Achey Bones could use a Comfortable Hunting Cabin like that.
Good Shot on the Yote. I use a Torch Pro Illuminator With Gen3 NV and Coyotes, and some Hogs too, see the Beam and Scoot. You have to shoot Quick !

Good job David, classic example of how some coyotes react to IR light, and there are those that think they don't see it.

Last winter I had 4 slam on the brakes all at the same time when I turned an 850 on. No doubt they all saw it given that they all checked up simultaneously.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickGood thing there was no hesitation on the trigger ! Nice shot !

If he would have stood still broadside for three more seconds or so I would have dropped him right there, I think. When he departed I had a quick window of opportunity or risk losing the opportunity, or worse yet, a missed or wounded and unrecovered coyote. In my experience there isn’t much time for hesitation with coyotes.

Burn, you are absolutely right that you can't hesitate. Here at the 2:35 mark is an example of shooting fast once the coyote saw the IR.

Originally Posted By: Kirsch.....Very interesting how light sensitive it was to the IR light.
They are individuals with different sensitivities to IR. Here are two coyotes in this video that shows one
look at the light and pay no attention to it, yet the second one was nervous every time she looked at it, and would run from it.

The first coyote is at 0:45 The second one's reaction came at 3:50. The first time it saw the IR it didn't seem to mind much,
but got nervous the next two times and departed, though it really wanted the bait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xlEJAmSk_E&t=251s

Originally Posted By: KirschNice shooting. Very interesting how light sensitive it was to the IR light.

More than likely it was that loud click of the light turning on rather than the light itself.

Originally Posted By: orkanMore than likely it was that loud click of the light turning on rather than the light itself.
That could be. The distance was 60 yards and I was inside an insulated shed, but I am sure a coyote hears very well.

Yes, it could be, but you've seen the same reaction from the camera coming on and even from the overhead lights that you used to have in a tree. Some of them just don't like seeing that glow at the source.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: orkanMore than likely it was that loud click of the light turning on rather than the light itself.
That could be. The distance was 60 yards and I was inside an insulated shed, but I am sure a coyote hears very well.

When I was a teenager just getting started in calling, an old trapper told me a coyote can hear a mouse moving under a foot of snow from 50yds away. They have unbelievable hearing... and if the window was open enough for a rifle to be out, it's about a guarantee he heard that click.

I know because I've done exactly the same thing. Moved to all twist switches and pressure pads after that, for silent operation.

Originally Posted By: old catorkan, I agree with you 100%. I have lipped squeaked them in from 150 to 200 yards. Their hearing is outstanding. Out here in the wide open spaces I hunt... I stop calling and move to lip squeaks at about 400-500yds if the wind is calm. Sometimes farther if it's real still.

I certainly agree they have great hearing. No doubt about that, but I've seen it enough to know they are sometimes spooked by the IR source especially if it comes on when they are looking at it. 6mm has some video of a coyote that was terrified of the overhead IR lights he used at his bait pile. Maybe he will post it at some point.

Back