Scored a good deal

Otis0816

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113865570552

I am new to the forum. Thanks for having me. I am currently having a 6.5 CM bolt action built. I spent a little more than I wanted and kinda dipped into my scope budget.

I have been racking my brain for the past 2 weeks trying to find a scope around $1,000 that would suit my needs (70% coyote hunting, 30% target shooting). I came across the Athlon Cronus but it was a little too much. I then found the Ares and read the older model (BTR) was going to be sold and discontinued when they ran out of stock. Im pretty certain I just scored a BTR with the upgraded turrets at a discounted price off of EBay.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

I was really thinking about the SHV from Nightforce but figured I would not enjoy only having 14 power in the FFP model.

My next rifle is going to be somewhere in the 6mm-6.5mm area and used for coyotes, targets and deer also. Many guys feel to reach out to 1000 yards all you need is 10x quality scope. You didnt say how far your targets were going to be, but for those uses the ares 2.5-15x50 should work great. At least i hope so, since thats in my locker right now awaiting a new rifle! Fwiw, cameralandny prices are the same as midway right now, but i didnt get charged tax. That might vary by state though, and im pretty sure shipping is free for both also. I would bet doug will jump on soon if i need correction. Good luck!

I prefer the Ares ETR over the BTR. Camera Land has the ETR for $1,000.00

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands/ath...riation=1986042

They also have some great prices on Athlon BTR’s......ask for Doug

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands/ath...df-d6f5a8428b8a

Being ebay, you can return it. If you decided to keep it, remove the Oring under both turrets for a more positive feel and audible sound.

Thanks reb....I need to look at the sponsor page more often as I like to support those who support PM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI prefer the Ares ETR over the BTR. Camera Land (A PM Sponsor)

He is no longer a sponsor.

I just couldn't justify spending another $600 for the ETR. The money I saved bought me rings, base, level, and several boxes of various ammo to do testing.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI prefer the Ares ETR over the BTR. Camera Land (A PM Sponsor)

He is no longer a sponsor.

We have let our sponsorship lapse here due to little interest from the membership. If you feel we are incorrect please let us know and we will renew our sponsorship here.

There were nearly no responses to any of our posts and hardly any member entries to our monthly give-away's leading us to believe our participation here was not a benefit to the forum community.

Again, please let us know if we are incorrect and we will renew

Originally Posted By: Otis0816I just couldn't justify spending another $600 for the ETR. The money I saved bought me rings, base, level, and several boxes of various ammo to do testing.

I understand your position. However, You mentioned Cronus, NF SHV, racking your brain for something around a grand, and asked about experience with the BTR.

So I stated my opinion in case you wanted an upgrade.

For others, The ETR has a larger (34mm) tube,more elevation, more positive feeling and audible turrets, larger objective (56mm) and one step below the Cronus.....even at that you need a color chart, etc and have them side by side for comparison to tell the difference.

I havent looked thru an etr yet, but i do have the midas binos and they use the same ed glass vs the hd glass in the btr models. No doubt the etr will have better glass quality, but for the price diff i went with the btr’s myself.

Back