Help me choose a cotoye-specific caliber-rifle combo

Originally Posted By: rudymontana22-250 Use it on coyotes and deer. Seen a lot of deer drop to that round.

That's what I'd do. Load/buy some 50-gran poly tips for tipping over coyotes and some 60-grain Partitions for deer. I've killed several deer and a pronghorn with a 22-250 with no major issues.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: rudymontana22-250 Use it on coyotes and deer. Seen a lot of deer drop to that round.

That's what I'd do. Load/buy some 50-gran poly tips for tipping over coyotes and some 60-grain Partitions for deer. I've killed several deer and a pronghorn with a 22-250 with no major issues. I talked to an ol timer in montana years ago that said the same thing, plus it was his elk rifle. He used to use a 300wm but wasnt as accurate and developed a flinch. Went back to his 22-250 with a good soft point and thats all he hunts with now. Said his elk usually buck and trot a few yards like they got bit by something, then stand there, bleed or wind out and fall over or lay down. Cant say i would trust myself to take an elk with a 22-250, but it works for him!

Unfortunately, the majority of my coyote hunting will be in a shotgun-only deer hunting area, and my only rifle deer hunting is an over-.224 caliber area, so the .22-250, or even a .220 Swift barreled with a 1-8 twist (should give almost identical velocities to the new .22 Creedmoor with 80 grain bullets, right?) is out of the running as a potential crossover caliber.

Quote:Im kind of in your shoes in looking for a good crossover round, but im not set on the pre ww2 period. By your title i would go with a fast twist 22-250 so you could shoot heavy .22 bullets, but if deer are going to be somewhat regular thing i would go with the 257 bob. The 243 was brought up, and (arguably) the 257 is going to give a bit better results (velocity, energy) than the 243 on deer. If the coyote pelts dont matter to you, definitely the 257. If so, 22-250 imo.

I have occasional access to a .222 Remington from a family member, and I don't have a trapping license, so the only time I'd want coyote pelts might be one or two to hang on the wall of my college kid apartment or to line a wool blanket with, and in that case I have a better rifle for that use, than the 'heavy' rifle I'm looking at with the .257 Bob/.220 Swift area of calibers.

Originally Posted By: orkan22 creedmoor in a TS Customs rifle.

While a good option, it's hardly a pre WW2 edition.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: orkan22 creedmoor in a TS Customs rifle.

wink.gif
I'm a fan of sci-fi... this plot problem is solved easily with a time machine.
smile.gif

I went to TS Customs site. From reading and looking at the photos, they surely go the extra mile to make a very nice rifle. A lot of extras the Mom and Pop gunsmith shop sure doesn't do.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI went to TS Customs site. From reading and looking at the photos, they surely go the extra mile to make a very nice rifle. A lot of extras the Mom and Pop gunsmith shop sure doesn't do.

Their website barely scratches the surface. They are always improving and coming out with new products and services. They are the only builder I use, and the only one I have used for at least 5 years.

Here's just a few of the rifles I've had them do for me. Every single one of them is capable of shooting tenth to 2 tenths of an inch at 100yds. All except the 6BR... that one can be counted on to be 1/3 moa. I attribute that to a lot of choices on the parts list to keep it super compact... and as a result it's quite difficult to drive well.

22BR
U07Jt0C.jpg

17 Remington
IMG_2054a.jpg

6 Dasher
S37cD8dh.jpg

300BLK / .223AI switch barrel
SvVx5ddh.jpg

6BR
SCMgOvyh.jpg

17HMR
IMG_1138.jpg

They are a class act. I like the way they index their barrels. Sure beats the old 3 jaw chuck. Those are very nice rifles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: orkan22 creedmoor in a TS Customs rifle.

wink.gif
I'm a fan of sci-fi... this plot problem is solved easily with a time machine.
smile.gif

laffn.....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThey are a class act. I like the way they index their barrels. Sure beats the old 3 jaw chuck. Those are very nice rifles.
I Always saw gunsmiths using 4 jar chucks. I didn’t know you could use a collet and actually get to the center of the bore. I thought collets just center the barrel is this a different type of collet system. Because the center of the bore is not always in the center of the barrel.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: pyscodogThey are a class act. I like the way they index their barrels. Sure beats the old 3 jaw chuck. Those are very nice rifles.
I Always saw gunsmiths using 4 jar chucks. I didn’t know you could use a collet and actually get to the center of the bore. I thought collets just center the barrel is this a different type of collet system. Because the center of the bore is not always in the center of the barrel.

i don't see the word collet used in his post?

no you didn't. He said he liked the way they indexed their barrels. On TS Customs site I thought I read that they used a collet system. I could e wrong

I've used the .220 Swift and .224 TTH (22/6mm Rem) on coyotes and game (deer/hog) the 22-250AI equaled the Swift, I went with an 8" twist and the Hornady 68 BTHP for coyotes too. The .243 with the 55gr bullets is just awesome, not pelt friendly ( few caliber/bullets are) but the regular old 22-250 is way plenty, and, as mentioned, works on game too. Good luck to you, let us know what you ended up with?
smile.gif

I recently went through the same thought process. My goal did not include the pre-war restriction, however. I was really leaning toward a .243 but wound up with a .308 because I decided I might want this do-all rifle to be elk capable.

Funny how is rifle nuts can always find a hole in our battery that calls for just one more rifle...

Back