Walmart stopping the sale of small arms ammo

Mtns2hunt

Was in Walmart today and was told that they would no longer be selling 22 and 9mm ammo. There may be other calibers affected.

223/5.56, 300black, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 6.5 gren, 450 bush, and 224 Val. Was the list salesman gave me. Basicly anything that can be shot out of an AR. This is why you should've been supporting your local gun shop. If the little guy closed, who you gonna do business with? Cabelas, Acadamy, Dicks(lol)..... How long before they cave and go left?

They quit selling firearms in NM because they choose not to comply with our new state law requiring (?) FFLs to perform private sale background checks. Still have lots of ammo on the shelves; hopefully that lasts at least until we elect the next democrat president.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptAlcohol kills a lot of folks every year... they gonna stop selling alcohol too?

Never happen. To many politicians drink. I read they were stopping the sale of all pistol ammo. Think it was on Yahoo this evening. One of the stores here just got a big load of rifles this week. I thought that was good.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/03/the-full-memo-from-walmarts-ceo-about-pulling-back-on-gun-sales.html

"Today, we’re sharing the decisions we’ve made that go further:
• After selling through our current inventory commitments, we will discontinue sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber that, while commonly used in some hunting rifles, can also be used in large capacity clips on military-style weapons;
• We will sell through and discontinue handgun ammunition; and
• We will discontinue handgun sales in Alaska, marking our complete exit from handguns."

"Finally, we encourage our nation’s leaders to move forward and strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger. We do not sell military-style rifles, and we believe the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons ban should be debated to determine its effectiveness. "

I see a lot of chatter on this. My thoughts are “so”.
Walmart has all but ruined rural America. Think not, your not very old then. I can show you several down town main streets that are all but boarded up with grass growing in the cracks of the side walk and street. The city will give them a big tax break, then when it runs out they move. The city is then stuck with a huge building that few businesses have use for.
Or better yet , they abandon the building and move across the street. I have seen that happen in three different towns.
Enough of my blabber. There are plenty of places to buy ammo, along with my other needs and better quality to boot.

I never shop at Walmart anyway.

Brownells, one local place called Kurt's and Bi-Mart.

I have been in accumulation mode for over a year.

They p***ed me off with the stopping of sales to those aged 18-21 (who they'll say they support in the military, but not in personal self defense!!) I'm in a relatively rural area with a Wally World just a few miles away, and I avoid them when ever I can - increasingly ordered online, or bought local when I can get what I want, even at more cost. I'll soon be weaned off the Wally World addiction due to their recent leftist attitude. Dick's and Field and Stream too. I'd think ol Sam is spinning in his grave!!!

We have three in Broken Arrow. I've bought maybe one rifle from them. I do buy socks and T-shirts there and sometimes some deli chicken, cat food and litter. Do my gun shopping at gun shops.

Last edited:
This has got to be great news to LGS's across the country!
That's where I've been getting all my ammo since the .22RF ammo
fiasco, anyway.

Walmart-Dicks.jpg

I don't really care what they do regarding ammo & such but the fact is that they've announce that they've partnered with michael bloomberg's everytown for gun safety.

this puts them in bed with the hard core anti gunners and is a line too far for me.

If they won't sell ammo then there is no sense in buying their hunting clothing, firearm accessories, gun cases, gun cleaning supplies, hunting/fishing licenses, etc.

Originally Posted By: marchboomIf they won't sell ammo then there is no sense in buying their hunting clothing, firearm accessories, gun cases, gun cleaning supplies, hunting/fishing licenses, etc.
^^^^^^THIS!!^^^^^

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneThis has got to be great news to LGS's across the country!
That's where I've been getting all my ammo since the .22RF ammo
fiasco, anyway.

i'm sure the retailers are excited, but as a consumer - its going to be a real hit to the pocket, at least long term. the number i heard was that they had about 20% of the ammo market in the US. which isnt insignificant!

now that the LGS's look to be the only real place other than some of the big box stores... your ability to find budget ammo locally are going to drop significantly. when was the last time b[beeep]-pro had a really good deal on 22lr?

walmart pretty much set the market rate for 22lr, primarily i'm sure due to buying power.

so i'm sure we can expect prices to come up on some stuff, and possibly down on a few others.

just remember - when the ammo shortages were on post sandy hook - walmart DID NOT mark up its prices, when just about everyone else did to some extent or another. and while it was tough to find ammo, they were still getting in SOME almost every week after the worst of the crunch was over, and instituted strict purchase quantity policy's to attempt to prevent re-sellers from emptying the shelf EVERY day on the rest of us and selling gouging those $20 bricks for >$60.

sucks they had to jump on the Everytown bandwagon and pull a stunt like this on us.

as noted by others - not only does walmart need to see a drop in sales, but they need to know why they're seeing a drop in sales. write/call, but please be polite about it.

their CEO has demanded that congress ban and confiscate semi auto rifles.

I don't care much how they run their stores, that's their business but when he lobbies to violate my civil rights, now he's [beeep] around in my business & I'm not having any part of it.

I'm done with walmart. not just the sporting goods section, but the entire store. I can't in good conscious contribute to their bottom line when they're on the other side of this fight.

everyone has to decide what works for them & I've decided that walmart working against me just doesn't work for me and I can't support it.

F--- Wal-Mart, they can have all the sales they want, I'd rather pay a premium for guns and ammo as opposed to having them banned altogether like they're lobbying for.

Back