Baiting

I have been playing hide and seek with this male coyote for better than 2 weeks. We killed a female calling last night and when I came home the male decided to pay a visit at about 11:30. It will be his last visit. I hit him a little lower than I intended and heart shot coyotes always run for me, but he piled up over in the cornfield. The 50 v-max from the 16" barrel 223 shot completely through him and exited with about a quarter size hole. The suppressor is a Dakota Varminter 4.0.

IMG_0513 by Double Up, on Flickr

This is the picture of my hunting buddies coyote from last night. A three-legged female that he found with the drone this morning. We couldn't locate her in the corn stubble last night even with the thermals. She was standing straight on toward him and the shot blew her throat out at a little over a 100 yds. I should have his video later today and will post if it turns out okay.

IMG951906 by Double Up, on Flickr

thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
Thanks for sharing your Hunt WTG

Well things have been pretty slow on the bait pile where coyotes are concerned. Between the corn surrounding me, the heat, and now the rain, not much action for baiting or calling. I worked up a new load for my AR-15 in 223. I'm shooting a 50 gr. V-max at 3,250 fps but I need a volunteer to check my zero with the thermal scope.

I've been giving the crows a pass since they have been cleaning up the bait pile each morning and keeping the buzzards away. The past couple of days they have gotten slack and the buzzards have started to show up. It was nice of the crow to volunteer to scare the buzzards away. Sorry, but I had the brightness turned down on the thermal so the crow doesn't show up as bright white as a normal white hot object would. If you watch closely, you'll see him go airborne.

Yeah, you're right I'm getting bored!

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpFried chicken scraps form a local restaurant.

Good deal. I need to find a local food place or butcher that would be willing to part with scraps, etc. Been using 'Ol Roy dog food from Walmart for the most part. Occasionally a can of sardines, especially when Mr. Yote shows up on the trail cams. My dad cooks bacon for his breakfast every day in the microwave and saves all his bacon fat soaked paper towels for me.

I started out with Ol' Roy too and killed some coyotes with it. Mixed in some meat grease whenever possible. I think it does better during the summer when their caloric intent doesn't need as much protein to stay warm. Forecast is for a cold winter, so maybe we can all do some good.

Burn, if you can find a butcher who processes deer, you may be able to get carcasses and trimmings in hunting season. I cut trimmings up into small pieces and place them in gallon freezer bags. A few deer and you will be able bait for months to come.

I thought you baiters might want to see another calling video while we're all waiting for the baiting to pick up.

My hunting buddy had to work late and couldn't make it tonight so I had to go it alone. He killed a nice female last night while we were calling. He got it on video but hasn't downloaded it to me yet. Here is his female from last night.

IMG951922 by Double Up, on Flickr

I called another freshly picked corn field tonight. The ditch banks were not cut and visibility was limited. I set up on the end of a ditch bank so I could see two cuts clearly. This big male came in on the opposite side of the next ditch bank, so I didn't see him until he got right to the end of the ditch. Range was 50 yds. Even though I hit him just to the left of center chest, and knew he was fatally hit, I decided to put another one in him to make it as quick as possible.

IMG_0518 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video:

Well I always say it's best to be good, but I'll take lucky when it comes. The rain stopped last night about 8 so I texted my hunting partner to see if he wanted to make a stand. I didn't hear anything back so I told my wife I was going down and try that field we didn't get to the other night. I went out to the shop and truck to get my stuff out so I wouldn't make any noise when I got to the field. On the spur of the moment I decided to scan my freshly picked corn field. Standing there not a hundred yards away was a coyote. I eased back to the truck and got my tripod. Got back to the corner of the building and set it up. Lip squeaked him, and it was the same coyote from the other night because he hobbled over to the ditch next to my yard.

I did turn on the recorder but didn't give it enough time to start recording I guess so I missed recording the shot. Anyway the 50 Speer TNT absolutely smoked him, and he fell over into the field ditch. Man that was a thwap when the bullet hit him. It was a big 35 lb. male, but I'm sure sorry I didn't get the kill on video. It looked like he got hit with the Hammer of Thor. Here is the picture. Part of his left front paw is missing. He may have gotten caught in a trap and got loose, but that is the reason he was hobbling. It didn't keep him from being in a good healthy condition though.

IMG_0520 by Double Up, on Flickr

Tonight we made a stand but it was hot, humid, sweating profusely and mosquitoes were out in full force. We did absolutely nothing. When I was getting ready for my hunting partner to pick me up just at dark, I decided to make a couple of howls on the hand call. I had two respond in the woods to my south, but didn't mess with them anymore. After getting back, I was getting ready for bed and decided to look out the window one last time. I saw this coyote easing along in the field behind my pond. I think this must have been the mate to the male I killed last night. At first I thought she was coming to the scent of the bait pile, but then I realized that she fell right where I killed the male last night that fell in the ditch. I think she was sniffing where he had fallen. The 50 gr. Speer TNT had the same effect on her that it did on the male last night.

IMG_0521 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video:

Good job. That one didn’t even twitch, anchored and done right there. Those Speers seem to be working just fine. You are probably right that she was the mate to the male the other night.

Nice Bobcat Burn. I love cats.

I had a bit of luck the other night, early morning actually before daylight. I finally had a coyote, a male visit the bait site while I was staying in the cabin. This was ole "One-Eye" that I have been watching for some time now. Never could get up with him but it finally happened shortly after 0600 in the morning. I used an ATN 4k 3-14x scope mounted on a Dtech AR 6x45 and a Sierra 70 gr. Blitz King bullet.

I first used a 940nm spotlight that is mounted on a 4x4 post about 25 yards from the bait site. The 940 is pure stealth with no signature at all that I can see. I control it remotely from the cabin. To shoot I like to use an 850nm light in order to see better but also for better video. The coyote didn't like the weapon-mounted T-20 IR (850nm) and began to retreat. Luckily he was essentially going straight away so the shot was made easier.

The shot knocked him down but he managed to get to his feet and ran a short distance. It wasn't the classic broadside shot that I like. Once I deployed the 850 light and he saw it, he only gave me a second or two before he left. I have found that some coyotes tolerate the red glow better than others. I confirmed the coyote was down with an Apex XQ38 thermal scope.

48705840458_f97ab664a0_c.jpg

48706339747_fa9b5797f6_c.jpg

48706339582_cc246d95b5_c.jpg

Very nice work there 6. That Texas heart shot put him down pretty quick I'd say. Video looked like it would have been nice and clear if he had not spooked so quickly, but it happens at times.

Back