Wraith: Night Vision Test

Kirsch

I did some testing last night of the Sightmark Wraith's night vision capabilities. Here is the video from the test. My test information and conclusions below.

Test 1: IR Light Sources
I used 3 light sources including the Wraith Stock IR, T20 Evolva IR off Amazon, and a TNVC Torch. The first thing I did was look at all 3 using a digital night vision video camera. This allowed me to see the intensities of each light. TNVC had already warned me the Torch is not designed for Digital Night Vision. Analog and digital night vision are very different and having an IR light source optimized for each is a better option. There is a good video explaining the differences that can be viewed here. I only tested the stock IR and T20 after the initial test.

Test2: Coyote Decoy - 100 Yards
I started by putting a coyote decoy on a road with absolutely no elevation. This is a difficult test for Night Vision as the light has nothing to illuminate with the lack of terrain. The first test was 100 yards. The Stock IR and the T20 both had no trouble with this test. The T20 was slightly brighter but both were fine.

Test3: Coyote Decoy - 200 yards
For this test, I elevated the Tripod to a standing position to get the light a little bit off the ground. The Stock IR did OK as the decoy was still visible. The T20 was better. It isn't as obvious in the video, but it was noticeable through the eyepiece.

Test4: Deer in field
I wanted to get some footage of live animals, so found some deer grazing in a soybean field. The soybeans make it harder to see the deer but again it showed viewing with Night Vision under less than perfect conditions. The Stock IR did Ok, with trees visible out past 300 yards and the deer visible at 175 yards. The T20 definitely was stronger in this test with the deer showing a lot more contrast as well as more visible at similar ranges. I also show what the same deer looked like using my Pulsar Helion XP38.

My Conclusion:
I would say the night abilities of the Wraith are a slight step up from my previous ATN XSight II. I cannot give a comparison to the 4K. The stock IR on the Wraith surprised me as there wasn't as much of a drop-off from the T20 as I expected. I am sure there are better (more expensive) IR sources that would really help any Digital Night Vision Scope. From my testing, I would be confident in saying the stock IR will get to probably 150-200 yards in most situations and the T20 probably gets you another 50-100 yards past that.

Is it useable? The answer is yes. As a spotter, it really wouldn't be ideal with the exception of seeing eye shine. However, if you use a thermal spotter and shoot with the Wraith, it could work as a coyote solution for some. Some of the disadvantages in comparison to standard Gen3 Night Vision is the amount of IR light required as well as the hunter's visible signal. The more direct and focused the IR source is, the bigger/more visible the IR Emitter Signature is to the animals.

Would I trade it for thermal, the answer is absolutely no, but for around $500, when you add the fact that it can be used to capture very good daytime video, it offers some nice features at a very attractive price.

Awesome review and thanks for doing that test Kirsch. It looks really good for the price to me. I currently use an ATN 4K and it works well for me but based on the videos it appears the Wraith might have a better image at distance. It costs a little bit more than the 4K so I would think that extra performance is probably worth it to most predator hunters.

For the guy that can afford a decent thermal scanner and then get on the gun for positive ID and shoot its a very doable solution.

I'm going to seriously look at getting one for my 2nd night hunting rifle (Rem 7) so am interested in how to mount it to a bolt action and perhaps hang an additional IR light on it. As I recall the battery life is about 4 hours on the Wraith? The 4K is about 18 hours so theres that if an issue to some. I rarely spend more than 4 hours out hunting at night anyway since I like to sleep at night.

I went ahead and got the Wraith. So far it seems pretty straight forward and easy to use. I agree with Krisch in that wearing gloves may make using the buttons a bit difficult. I have shot out to 200 yds with it in both day and night mode. Also watched a deer at 150 yds while using the IR that came with it. With no moon I could see a 3" gong at 200 yds. I can't compare it to any others because it is the only one I have used.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Awesome review and thanks for doing that test Kirsch. It looks really good for the price to me. I currently use an ATN 4K and it works well for me but based on the videos it appears the Wraith might have a better image at distance. It costs a little bit more than the 4K so I would think that extra performance is probably worth it to most predator hunters. Actually the Wraith is less expensive. The ATN4K retails for $799 with typical prices from $600-$700 and the Wraith retails for $599 with a lot of sites selling for $499.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...I'm going to seriously look at getting one for my 2nd night hunting rifle (Rem 7) so am interested in how to mount it to a bolt action and perhaps hang an additional IR light on it. As far as mounting to a rifle, I would recommend a dovetail mount with a picatinny rail. You would have to find one to fit your gun whether via weaver mount, etc.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...As I recall the battery life is about 4 hours on the Wraith? The 4K is about 18 hours so theres that if an issue to some. I rarely spend more than 4 hours out hunting at night anyway since I like to sleep at night. Honestly, I don't mess with batteries with any of my night equipment including thermal. If the unit doesn't have a battery pack, I add one. I can't attest to how long the Wraith will last off AA batteries, as I ran mine off a battery pack which would last me multiple nights of hunting.

Kirsch, great job on that review and some very useful information. I was impressed at how well the onboard IR worked at shorter ranges like 100 yards. I wasn’t expecting that at all.

How is the view through the scope ocular compared to the video? About the same or is one better than the other?

Looking forward to you dropping some coyotes and actual footage.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Kirsch, great job on that review and some very useful information. I was impressed at how well the onboard IR worked at shorter ranges like 100 yards. I wasn’t expecting that at all.

How is the view through the scope ocular compared to the video? About the same or is one better than the other?

Looking forward to you dropping some coyotes and actual footage.
The view via ocular is slightly better, but not much better. As far as the stock IR, it surprised me as well. It is a much better stock IR than I am used to seeing with NV devices. As far as hunting footage, it will most likely be day footage. Having night vision as part of this scope is a bonus, but since I have thermal, I don't plan on using this scope much for night hunting.

The future is now...
thumbup.gif

Sightmark WRAITH HD 4-32x50 Digital Day/Night Riflecope

Originally Posted By: 6mm06I was impressed at how well the onboard IR worked at shorter ranges like 100 yards. I wasn’t expecting that at all. One other thing about the stock IR that is really nice is they included a internal collar on the light housing. It keeps tension on the light, but allows you to move it a few degrees in any direction to optimize the light output. This is why on the video, you will see the light moving at times as I was trying to find the best spot. This helps as well if you decide to mount it on the opposite side of the scope or put it on a rail in a totally different spot. It is a nice feature.

Yeah, I like the adjustable feature of the onboard IR. I found it necessary to get adjustable IR light mounts for my scopes. Getting the beam pointed right makes all the difference with digital.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Burnsome...Awesome review and thanks for doing that test Kirsch. It looks really good for the price to me. I currently use an ATN 4K and it works well for me but based on the videos it appears the Wraith might have a better image at distance. It costs a little bit more than the 4K so I would think that extra performance is probably worth it to most predator hunters. Actually the Wraith is less expensive. The ATN4K retails for $799 with typical prices from $600-$700 and the Wraith retails for $599 with a lot of sites selling for $499.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...I'm going to seriously look at getting one for my 2nd night hunting rifle (Rem 7) so am interested in how to mount it to a bolt action and perhaps hang an additional IR light on it. As far as mounting to a rifle, I would recommend a dovetail mount with a picatinny rail. You would have to find one to fit your gun whether via weaver mount, etc.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...As I recall the battery life is about 4 hours on the Wraith? The 4K is about 18 hours so theres that if an issue to some. I rarely spend more than 4 hours out hunting at night anyway since I like to sleep at night. Honestly, I don't mess with batteries with any of my night equipment including thermal. If the unit doesn't have a battery pack, I add one. I can't attest to how long the Wraith will last off AA batteries, as I ran mine off a battery pack which would last me multiple nights of hunting.

I am curious as to your battery pack and where you purchased it?

For Flir products, the pack from TNVC works well. However, the Wraith requires a typical Micro B cable vs the Flir is Micro C, so I built my own pack. I am not sure if TNVC will have a different option in the future for different connections or not. I will post a picture of my battery pack and components over the weekend as well as other accessories I have on the Wraith.

I read somewhere that the wraith powers on in day mode and not last mode selected...is this correct? If so, this would almost require you to leave the unit powered on all the time while night hunting vs turning on when needed.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke99I read somewhere that the wraith powers on in day mode and not last mode selected...is this correct? If so, this would almost require you to leave the unit powered on all the time while night hunting vs turning on when needed. That appears to be true, but you are pressing the middle button to turn the unit on, you simply click the left button one time and it is in night mode, or press it twice and it is in night mode - green. It is one extra button push. Even in total darkness, it might add .5 seconds to the process. Pretty sure if customers complain about this, it could be a future update to the scope. If a person had to go into some type of Menu system to turn it on, etc, this could be a pain.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Powerstroke99I read somewhere that the wraith powers on in day mode and not last mode selected...is this correct? If so, this would almost require you to leave the unit powered on all the time while night hunting vs turning on when needed. That appears to be true, but you are pressing the middle button to turn the unit on, you simply click the left button one time and it is in night mode, or press it twice and it is in night mode - green. It is one extra button push. Even in total darkness, it might add .5 seconds to the process. Pretty sure if customers complain about this, it could be a future update to the scope. If a person had to go into some type of Menu system to turn it on, etc, this could be a pain.
e

Thanks for the explanation. 2 button pushes isn’t so bad, but I would think it would be an easy software fix to start up in previous mode. I’m definitely interested in the Wraith when I return to the states.

Back