walmart caves.

Originally Posted By: GCI don't care if Wal-Mart sells ammunition or not. The fact that they now actively lobby against my 2A rights, that is my problem with Wal-Mart.

35112055543_0e34c7f7ea_o.jpg

AMEN!

Regards,
hm

we spent the afternoon shopping around & noting where the best deals are for the common things we've typically bought at walmart.

The Left has had a hard-one for Wal-Mart for a long time because they don't pay their cashiers 6 figure salaries with benefits and they won't allow unions to take hold. I suppose they will quickly become the latest media darling.
One possible good thing from all this; maybe we will all see a resurgence of small gun shops again. They are all but gone around my area.

Well it's only a matter of time. Lots of money for a few to be made with gun control.

Look at how well prohibition and the war on drugs worked.We still have powerful families that got their start smuggling alcohol.

Anyone who wants a gun will get one. It will just cost a lot.

Ammo the same.

Legalise pot and outlaw the shooting sports. Sounds like a great future.

How long will it be before walmart has pot boutiques in store?

if you're taking any action, say no longer shopping there, don't just do it. be sure to write them and tel them why.

be civil & polite, cussing someone isn't going to help. but state the case as to what you're doing and why.

some people, it's just about impossible to not shop there. my son is in that situation, there just isn't anything else around. one small grocery store & that's it.

pretty good drive to a bigger town with options & he doesn't make that much money so it's not like he can afford to spend a lot more to avoid them entirely.

others have a lot more stores around so it's easier to adapt.

Stu Farish said:
some people, it's just about impossible to not shop there. my son is in that situation, there just isn't anything else around. one small grocery store & that's it.

pretty good drive to a bigger town with options & he doesn't make that much money so it's not like he can afford to spend a lot more to avoid them entirely.

others have a lot more stores around so it's easier to adapt.

Yes there is all kinds of situations a fellow can be in. It is pretty easy for me to not shop there. I don't shop much anywhere anyway.Not the case for everyone I am sure.

It's too late to support small stores anyway as they are already gone in most places.

I doubt there will be enough people protest their actions of gun control support to get their attention. They would have studied this before hand and will have the numbers in hand they expect to gain and lose.

Do you suppose it's personal with walmart management or just business?Do you suppose they think they will gain business by not selling ammo or are they taking a stand politically not considering business at all?
I figure it's all political and they know their business won't be affected in any significant way.
I guess when you get all the money you and your heirs could ever spend there is nothing left to want except raw power.

around here we have publix, winn dixie and cash savers, just to name 3 for groceries.

there's home depot, lowes & true value for hardware.

some stuff can be had for less on amazon. not all, but it can pay to look.

we have both sams club and costco. costco is a far superior company to deal with & while they're in no way pro-gun, they are not so far engaging in political activism and demanding that my guns be banned & confiscated.

this is a decent sized city so I have options that I didn't as readily have when I lived in a small town 50 miles from anywhere.

I know I'll probably catch he11 for this but.......WalMart doesn't care what we think. They don't keep the doors open off the Sporting Goods Dept. Ya, it sucks they quit selling certain ammo but they don't care. By coddling up to the demands of the anti Black Rifle crowd, probably just helped their business. They still sell fishing equipment, hunting rifles, black powder rifles, cloths and a lot of things to get people there. And people will still shop for those items there. All the letters and e-mails make us feel better but it isn't going to change their minds. They don't care! Its all about the Benjamin's. Seems like thats the world we live in today. I got a feeling its going to get worse before it gets better.

I'm not going to just not buy stuff from the sporting goods department. I rarely bought anything from that part anyway.

I'm not going to buy a damned thing from them, period. And they've been where we do the majority of our shopping.

Well Stu the point is not really the impact shopping or not shopping has on walmart. They are a big store.
The point is for a man to do what is right in his mind.That said sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Unsubscribed from Walmart emails and cancelled WM credit card. Not sure it's worth the effort to send them an email; obviously they don't give a flip what we think. Hopefully enough business will be lost for them to notice as did Dick's.

Regards,
hm

this is the letter i sent to walmart, and the nothing of a response i got. they simply stated their new company policy back to me.

feel free to use this language, although i suggest you edit in your local store over where i started shopping with the company
wink.gif

my letter to them
Quote:To Whom It may Concern,

This is regarding your recent policy change with ammunition sales in your stores, and more importantly your partnership with the Everytown anti-firearm group & Michael Bloomberg.

I am writing to inform you that as a customer of many years (since you opened store #1428 in mt.pleasant mi, to be exact) i will be spending the next few weeks searching for alternate places to do my shopping at and working to limit and eventually eliminate my shopping budget at your stores as i find other suitable locations to acquire those things i use in my day to day life.

typically i visit one of your locations 5-10 times per month, and often spend $100 or more when in one of your stores, especially on trips where i'm coming in to replace household consumables and dry goods.

I simply cannot continue support a company that wants my rights and my ability to defend myself to be limited because of the actions of a very small group of individuals intent on doing harm.

Removing yourselves from the ammo market the way you have is only going to serve to drive up prices and lower availability for law abiding citizens who have never done any harm with their firearms. This in addition to promoting the ban and confiscation of what your partners deem "assault weapons".

Assault is an action, not a description of an inanimate object. A gun by itself can harm nothing. Evil people harm other people, the tool they use isnt at fault.

I notice a distinct lack of any limitations on the sales of motor oil or other car parts, sugar, tobacco products, fatty foods, alcohol, and hammers - even though those items cause more deaths per year when used improperly than guns ever have.

I do not appreciate being penalized for the actions of a few evil people.

I suggest that you closely review what happened financially after Dick's Sporting goods made similar decisions to yours, and their financial losses that followed it.

Thank you for your time.

walmart's canned reply
Quote:

We have reviewed your email and want you to know that we have shared it with the appropriate team.

We have been working to understand the many important issues that arose from the horrific events in El Paso and Southaven, as well as those that have been raised in the national discussion around gun violence.

We’ve updated our Open Carry Policy to respectfully request that customers no longer carry firearms into our stores or Sam's Clubs in states where “open carry” is permitted – unless they are authorized law enforcement officers.

We often adjust our assortments for business needs and due to recent events, we are making necessary changes. We will continue to serve our customers with an assortment that reflects the wants and needs they come to us for every day.

We will discontinue and sell existing inventory of handgun ammunition.
We will discontinue and sell existing inventory of certain short-barrel rifle ammunition, such as the .223 caliber and 5.56mm that, while commonly used in some hunting rifles, can also be used in large capacity magazines on military-style weapons.

We will discontinue and sell existing inventory of handguns in Alaska, which means we will no longer sell handguns in any stores.

Thank you for contacting Walmart where we are always happy to help!

I was reading over a news report that was covering the list of businesses that have banned firearms. Some talked about open carry but many made statements saying they didn't want guns in the business except for law enforcement officers. So, they are including concealed carry firearms as well as those opened carried!
It interesting to me, that not one of these businesses made any statement about employing armed guards to protect its customers. Also, Wal-Mart has a history of firing employees that attempt to try to protect their customers who under attack.
I would just not spend money in these businesses but the only place in our area to buy groceries that doesn't have a ban are the local gas stations. My diet only allows for so much candy, chips and pop.
So, lets see, I can depend on the store greeter, that is never under 60 years old or grossly over-weight and handicapped, or carry concealed and buy only what I cannot find somewhere else.
The depending on the greeter thing is out, those poor folks really look like they need their jobs and the Wal-Mart would fire them in a second if they offered me any help at all when I was attacked.
Maybe, victim's of attacks in businesses with a ban should sue the company because it offers their customers no protection. Of course, you have to be alive to do that.

Last edited:
Back