22 Nosler bolt jam

Beni

On my 2nd shot this morning at the range.
Fired the shot. And could not get the bolt open to remove spent shell.
Adjusting an adjustable gas at the time.
First 6 shots brass looked good. This is factory Nosler ammo.
What is the easiest way to clear this.
I am able to get the 2 halves apart.

Flip the upper and put a big screwdriverbeteeen the front of the bcg and the upper. Pry it backwards and it will pop loose. Or you can just reassemble the the rifle. Stand it up. Hold back the charge handle lock and tap on the charge handle ear with a leather hammer.

Greg

Have you tried "mortaring" the rifle?

In the even you're not familiar with the term... do the following:

Remove mag

Attempt to put rifle on safety

Grab the forearm with one hand and the front stock area with the other

Pull back and hold the charging handle locking latch

Now, with the barrel facing up, smack the stock on the ground or a hard surface while pulling on the Charging handle

Usually this works pretty good, just keep the barrel away from your face/head, make sure the CH is unlatched, and continue to smack the rifle stock on the hard surface.

Thanks GLShooter. Tapping on the handle worked. Man the brass looked chewed up for having the "gas turned off".

Originally Posted By: BeniThanks GLShooter. Tapping on the handle worked. Man the brass looked chewed up for having the "gas turned off".

Glad to help. The guys at my F-Class matches would rather keep the muzzle down range when we have to clear one and the mallet/leather hammer work well for that.

I have done the mortar thing too but this is a bit less violent and if all I have is concrete it is no bueno for me. Also with SOME adjustable stocks it can be a bit problematic. If you do happen to have an adjustable and you are forced to mortar be sure to collapse it all the way.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: BeniThanks GLShooter. Tapping on the handle worked. Man the brass looked chewed up for having the "gas turned off".

Glad to help. The guys at my F-Class matches would rather keep the muzzle down range when we have to clear one and the mallet/leather hammer work well for that.

I have done the mortar thing too but this is a bit less violent and if all I have is concrete it is no bueno for me. Also with SOME adjustable stocks it can be a bit problematic. If you do happen to have an adjustable and you are forced to mortar be sure to collapse it all the way.

Greg

Agree.

Hooking the CH on the edge of a wooden shooting bench (facing down range of course) works well sometimes...

Back