Leupold VX-5HD

I have a 5-25, it is all they advertise and more. David Tubb is putting his reticle in them now, rather than Schmidt and Bender.

Originally Posted By: jrnmI have a 5-25, it is all they advertise and more. David Tubb is putting his reticle in them now, rather than Schmidt and Bender.

Leupold doesn’t make a VX-5HD in a 5-25 power range.

Originally Posted By: Uncle BooOriginally Posted By: jrnmI have a 5-25, it is all they advertise and more. David Tubb is putting his reticle in them now, rather than Schmidt and Bender.

Leupold doesn’t make a VX-5HD in a 5-25 power range.

Leupold makes a Mark 5HD 5-25 and that may be what jrnm has. I believe both the VX-5HD and Mk 5HD have the same optics.

I know when I talked to Leupold, shortly after the VX6HD came out, they told me the VX6HD and VX5HD have the same glass in them so I'd imagine the Mk 5HD has the same glass/optics also.

I have a 3-18x50 non-HD VX6 on my 20-250 and though it has really good optics, the newer HD models of the VX6 and VX5 are definitely better.

The VX5HD is a really nice scope with very good glass, I just wish they made it in the same power range as they do MK 5HD.

The Leupold VX5 scopes are the best deal going. Excellent glass for the price. I think they have been over looked and are a bargain.

Originally Posted By: capitolThe Leupold VX5 scopes are the best deal going. Excellent glass for the price. I think they have been over looked and are a bargain.

I’ve enjoyed mine, so far. I’ve got a 3-15x44 with the impact 29 reticle. I’ve also got a VX-6 3-18x44 T-MOA, both, are great scopes. Just wanted to see if everyone else had the same thoughts as me.

I have the 3-15x44 windplex and love it the windplex is a hair thick but not bad for hunting. Glass is great glass I have had mine out to 500yards and it dialed fine. I love the low profile locking turrets. These are my new go to hunting scope.

Originally Posted By: zr600I have the 3-15x44 windplex and love it the windplex is a hair thick but not bad for hunting. Glass is great glass I have had mine out to 500yards and it dialed fine. I love the low profile locking turrets. These are my new go to hunting scope.

I agree 100% about the turrets. I had a Leupold Mark 4, but the turrets were just too tall to me, for a regular hunting scope.

I have a 3-15 with a Boone and Crockett reticle..
I don't turn knobs so I can't talk about dialing... I set and forget.

Glasswise, it's is clearer and better in low light than my VX-6 (not HD) in 2-12.
I'd say it is a slight tick below my Swarovski z5 3.5-18.

It is good glass, I feel no push to upgrade it.

My VX5HD has the nicest glass of any that I own. My collection includes VX3's, VX6, Zeiss's, Athlon's, and Nikons.

About 6 or 7 years ago, I started going with Zeiss's because I felt their glass was superior to the Leupolds. Ended up with the 3-9 and 3.5-10 Conquest and a 3-15x42 Conquest HD5. Then I picked up the Leupy VX6 2-12x42. I still wasn't that impressed, even though the zoom range was great for my needs (black bear).

Last year I picked up the VX5HD in 3-15x44 w/illuminated reticle. It is absolutely incredible! I even compared it to a couple of my buddies Swaro's Z5's. To my eyes, the VX5HD wins! The turrets are a great design.

Due to not having enough time behind the turrets, I can not say if they are repeatable in the long run. But if you are not twisting turrets often, I can honestly say, I don't think you can possibly beat the VX5HD, especially for the price.

Last edited:
Back