Short barrel 243win load?

zr600

Ok I have a short barreled 243win I’m working on it’s for my mom, she’s fairly small so the rifle is a youth model. It’s barrel length is 19” or so. What bullet and what powder would you recommend? I was thinking maybe h4350 or rl16 would be to slow of a burn for the shorter barrel was wondering if a faster powder would be a little better. It will be used for deer hunting not any long range either.

I would look for the faster powders listed for it. Load manuals usually start with the fastest powders to the slowest.

What ackleyman listed would be good. I wouldn't rule out H4895 either, it's very versatile.

My 243 has a 20" barrel, and this is the load which shoots tiny groups (Under an inch at 200):

Varget
REM 9 1/2
70gr Nosler BT

Originally Posted By: BowhuntI would give the 90 grain Nosler Accubonds a try.

This^^^ I just worked up a load using IMR 4831 and Nosler 90 gr AccuBonds that shoots lights out. The load was out of a 24 inch barrel but it still should shoot great in a 20 inch barrel.

Originally Posted By: zr600Ok I have a short barreled 243win I’m working on it’s for my mom, she’s fairly small so the rifle is a youth model. It’s barrel length is 19” or so. What bullet and what powder would you recommend? I was thinking maybe h4350 or rl16 would be to slow of a burn for the shorter barrel was wondering if a faster powder would be a little better. It will be used for deer hunting not any long range either.

Don't over think it given those conditions. My wife shoots a youth model .243 Winchester with an 18.5" barrel. Her rifle loves the Federal 95 gr. Fusion factory load. Every deer she has cracked with it dies on schedule and according to the usual script. The last was a young buck quartering on at about 90 yards. She drilled him right through the onside shoulder and the bullet exited about at the end of the opposite side ribcage. The buck wheeled around and stumbled about 30 yards and died within seconds. I don't bother to load for her rifle. As long as you aren't stretching the range out, if it kills from a 22" barrel it will kill from an 18.5" barrel also.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: zr600Ok I have a short barreled 243win I’m working on it’s for my mom, she’s fairly small so the rifle is a youth model. It’s barrel length is 19” or so. What bullet and what powder would you recommend? I was thinking maybe h4350 or rl16 would be to slow of a burn for the shorter barrel was wondering if a faster powder would be a little better. It will be used for deer hunting not any long range either.

Don't over think it given those conditions. My wife shoots a youth model .243 Winchester with an 18.5" barrel. Her rifle loves the Federal 95 gr. Fusion factory load. Every deer she has cracked with it dies on schedule and according to the usual script. The last was a young buck quartering on at about 90 yards. She drilled him right through the onside shoulder and the bullet exited about at the end of the opposite side ribcage. The buck wheeled around and stumbled about 30 yards and died within seconds. I don't bother to load for her rifle. As long as you aren't stretching the range out, if it kills from a 22" barrel it will kill from an 18.5" barrel also.

I think the biggest problem most people have with shooting is over thinking what they think may be a problem weather it is or not!

Back