Night scope - looking for experiences & suggestions

My experience mirrors that of DoubleUp. During the early times I was using my Photon, my buddy was using a thermal scanner and scope. I bought a HD19 scanner, that I'm still using. I got very flustered trying to go from scanner to Photon, due to the small FOV. Usual result was I would tell my buddy to shoot because I couldn't find the coyote. To me, constantly being a spectator, instead of a participant (shooter) got pretty old. I finally decided I had to "get in" or "get out". Went the Pulsar thermal route, and couldn't be happier.
Between the Pulsar scope and my Night Stalker tripod, my kill rate has greatly improved. I've killed more coyotes this last week than I did the entire time I owned my Photon.

Kirsch- Is the Torch IR light a hand held light. I searched it and what comes up is a flashlight looking thing. Who sells and what brand is it? If a hand held do you just scan with it etc.???

Thanks Rudy

The Torch can be handheld, and yes it is an IR light source to help Night Vision devices with additional range. However, I will mount it to the Wraith or my rail as a picatinny connection if I find the stock IR isn't good enough. Most Night Vision devices don't come with an adequate IR light which I find ironic because it casts a negative impression on the quality of their Night Vison device.

I help answer questions on AR15.com for Night Goggles in their night vision section, and everyone raves about the amount of IR light the Torch puts out. The Torch IR is a TNVC/Night Goggles IR flashlight. People claim it puts out enough light for any NV device and for the better ones can lead to seeing long distances (800 yards+).

TNVC Link

Night Goggles Torch Link

Thanks guys, lots of great experience and feedback (pros/cons of the various equipment and options). I'll be real anxious to hear how the wraith does. I would also be interested to see if anyone out there has begun playing with the new Pulsar "Thermion" scopes yet that look like regular day time only scopes used on bolt guns.

M30, M38, M50, and the even higher dollar ones coming out later then behind these that will be replacing the high-end "Trail" models. I was disappointed that all the Apex and Trail options appear to be going out the window now, but I guess that's the nature of a fast moving industry.

Originally Posted By: KirschThe Torch can be handheld, and yes it is an IR light source to help Night Vision devices with additional range. However, I will mount it to the Wraith or my rail as a picatinny connection if I find the stock IR isn't good enough. Most Night Vision devices don't come with an adequate IR light which I find ironic because it casts a negative impression on the quality of their Night Vison device.

I help answer questions on AR15.com for Night Goggles in their night vision section, and everyone raves about the amount of IR light the Torch puts out. The Torch IR is a TNVC/Night Goggles IR flashlight. People claim it puts out enough light for any NV device and for the better ones can lead to seeing long distances (800 yards+).

TNVC Link

Night Goggles Torch Link The torch works great for traditional, Night Vision devices. However, I found very quickly, digital night vision devices, like the Wraith, don't have as much IR sensitivity as traditional high quality Night Vision. The Torch is a fantastic IR source but not ideal for use with the Wraith. It appears the Wraith requires a very tight focused, fixed beam. I will be doing a bit more testing but can say the stock IR will get you to probably 150 yards. With a more powerful light source like a T-20, it should easily get you to 250+, and I am sure there are other very powerful lights that could get a hunter 400 yards+. For $500, it is decent, but it sure isn't thermal.

The Wraith does capture very good daytime video. You can see initial daytime footage here

I was thinking seriously about cashing in some points at Cabela's for a Wraith, but I'm not interested in going into some backorder queue for 6 months as I miss out on this whole season. Anyway, my foxpro inferno remote is failing me now... stupid buttons won't press any more (or I should say, won't connect to the underlying circuit board as I do press them), so can't select or activate sounds, can't control volume properly, etc. So with this setback I will probably be having to invest in another caller now instead.

Sbranden,
Where in Maryland are you located? i live near Hagersippy and have a Sightmark Wraith that I purchased back in October. If you want to have a look thru it we could meet up for an evening of hunting?

Originally Posted By: sbrandenM30, M38, M50, and the even higher dollar ones coming out later then behind these that will be replacing the high-end "Trail" models. I was disappointed that all the Apex and Trail options appear to be going out the window now, but I guess that's the nature of a fast moving industry.If you were disappointed the Apex models are discontinued, I would look at the Bering Optics Hogster-R. It has virtually the same core with a lot better features. Tom from Night Goggles announced it on this post.

The advantages of the Hogster in comparison to the Apex include:
1) Color Reticles
2) Color Palettes
3) Accepts CR123 rechargeables and non-proprietary battery pack
4) More compact
5) Better form factor if wanting to use as a scanner
6) QD mount
7) Assembled and serviced in the US
8) Faster NUC process

I'd say the best mid-range NV scope would be the Sughtmark Wraiht HD. It has a lot of features which can be really usefull or otherwise.
https://wildproofgear.com/best-scopes-under-500/ (3rd in the list)
I've been using this scope for a week or so, and I am very impressed with the performance. The listing claims that the unit is good out to 200 yards, but I find that I can see significant details out well beyond 300 yards, even at the lowest IR output setting. That tells me that the included IR illuminator is very powerful and I probably don't need to consider replacing it. I don't expect to be attempting any night shots beyond 200 yards, if that far.

If you are lookinf for a thermal scope, get readu to invest $1000 or so. I have never seen thermal scopes cheaper than that.

Ya get what ya pay for. Buy once cry once. Thermal scanner is a must have, right now Hogster 25 is the hot thing for the price .Buy one use it as a scanner then throw it on a rifle , you’ll find out quick what’s more important . Then buy whatever else to close the deal.

Kirsch-
not to high jack this thread but I haven’t heard much talk on here about Night Snipe lights or or IR , I use a NS-750 IR with my 4K and I have no issues ID-ing a coyote at 250 yards.

Have you ever played with them Kirsch ?
They also have a really nice adjustable mount on them with nice positive detents .
It is a Two piece mount, one part stays on scope and is pretty slim line. The other stays on the light with a quick detach thumb screw.

Last edited:

Here is a vid of one at 275 Yards. Not too bad for Digital Night Vision.

It is a ATN 4K 3x14 model with a Night Snipe NS 750 IR.

Just figured I’d share vid so original poster had a idea of ATN 4K.

I also agree with all the guys saying nothing compares to Thermal !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shooter222Kirsch- not to high jack this thread but I haven’t heard much talk on here about Night Snipe lights or or IR , I use a NS-750 IR with my 4K and I have no issues ID-ing a coyote at 250 yards. Sorry didn't see this post as it wasn't in the Night Hunting Section. No, I haven't used a Night Snipe or many IR sources in general. Digital Night Vision has it place, but for my hunting preference, I really don't care for it. Once you've used thermal, it is hard to go back. I do like the digital scopes for capturing daytime footage.

Back