Wraith: First Thoughts

Kirsch

I received my Wraith late last week. I was able to get it zeroed and get a few stands in. Initial thoughts are it is capable of excellent daytime video. Zeroing the scope was similar to virtually all digital scopes and thermals I have used and was easy. Overall construction seems solid. The buttons/controls could be an issue if wearing gloves and could also be in the way of certain IR light configurations. Focus ring can be sticky and can be hard to find especially if you have an IR light mounted. I added an Extension which I also have on my Flir PTS536 which helps. I feel the video recording is a little jittery. I believe it is a combination of the high resolution video and fairly high base magnification. It seems like they need an anti-shake setting like video cameras.

After sighting it in, I had time for a few stands and had a coyote pose really nice for the Wraith. The only problem was my shot was low and right. Found chunks of fur and blood, but it wasn't a good hit. We all miss, and although not technically a miss, it was poor shot placement on my part. The coyote on the video is about 150 yards away for reference. Here is the video.

I haven't used the ATN 4K, but I did use an ATN Xsight II. The Wraith appears to record higher quality video in comparison to my previous XSight II. However, as mentioned a lot on this forum, the Wraith does not capture audio. There is a video already in the Night Hunting section of Predator Masters about sighting in a Wraith, so I didn't spend a lot of time on that for this video.

I will do a separate post on night vision abilities when I get some night footage captured.

Thanks for the initial review, Kirsch. The daytime video looks very good. Looking forward to continued reviews as you test the Wraith more, and especially at night.

Like you, I had an X-Sight 2. I made some good shots on hogs with it but the scope required a lot of light and the night time view appeared somewhat grainy. I now have the 4k and like it better. The internal battery seems to last forever, and the view is much brighter than the X-Sight 2. Eye relief is also greater with the 4k.

I hope to see some comparisons of the Wraith and the 4k. Hopefully someone will do that once the Wraith becomes more available. Deltagunner recently posted some night time footage of a beaver with the Wraith. The resolution looked very good. Hopefully the digital scopes will get better and better as time goes on.

Me too^^^... I'm really torn between this unit and the atn 4k. I'm mainly wanting mine for beaver at night and occasionally a coyote at night. Pretty good price difference between the 2.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Me too^^^... I'm really torn between this unit and the atn 4k. I'm mainly wanting mine for beaver at night and occasionally a coyote at night. Pretty good price difference between the 2. It is very hard to compare because even if you have both units (which I don't), the IR Light choice could favor one over the other. I hope to get out during the next 2 nights and capture some night footage (not hunting footage as night hunting isn't legal at this time of year in my state). I can tell you from some preliminary testing, digital night vision, requires a more tightly focused, fixed beam IR source in comparison to traditional night vision. What works great for a gen 3 scope or nods, doesn't work well for digital NV and the opposite is true as well.

I am curious Kirsch , I see all these posts about how far you can see at night , but I would like to know about up close , say 20,30 maybe 40 yards, lets say on a rat. Is this doable ?
Thanks & good post,
Bob

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robertjay53I am curious Kirsch , I see all these posts about how far you can see at night , but I would like to know about up close , say 20,30 maybe 40 yards, lets say on a rat. Is this doable ?
Thanks & good post,
Bob
Yes, it can be done. Most IR sources allow you control both the intensity of the light source as well as a flood to spot adjustment. For closer objects, you may have to decrease the intensity of the light, and open up the beam some. If your IR light is too bright, it will reflect back at you. This is where digital night vision and traditional analog night vision differ.

Back