Suppressed Pistols

TXCOONDOG

Considering buying a 45 Auto with a threaded barrel and running it suppressed. Leaning towards an M&P mainly because I shoot them well but will consider others.

I’m also looking at buying a 22 pistol with a threaded barrel and running it suppressed.

1. Look for suppressor(s) recommendations preferably something that I take a part and clean.
2. Will I need to run a heavier recoil spring in the 45 when suppressed ?

Feel free to post any leasons learned, or things to consider, etc.

PS: The centerfire pistol can needs to be able to handle high pressure loads from a 10mm auto.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don't have a suppressed .45 but a couple of buddys have the FN .45 tactical model and both of them have loved the big ol toaster sized thing with a can . Personally mine is a 9mm ( glock 19 ).
As far as .22 pistolas go IMO there are only two worth consideration the Ruger Mark series ( 22/45 ) and the Buckmarks . Rugers have less blowback in the face but you can pick up a threaded barrel if needed for the buckmark without ffl involvement though both can be bought factory threaded nowadays .
Commercial cans for .22 Well I am a form 1 sort of guy but lots of folks like the silencerco sparrow due to its easy clean design but to me it seems to have quite a bit of first round pop. Personally were i to buy a can it would be a Bowers group can ( https://bowersgroup.com/ ) because Tom is a real stand up guy who does good product and stands behind it .

I love my Dead Air suppressors. I have their mask for my ruger 22/45 light. I also have a ghost on my 40. Cal pistol. Both break down for easy cleaning.

If you coon hunt with hounds, definitely get a 22 pistol and rimfire can first. 22 is easy to suppress, so most any commercial can or form 1 kit will probably make you happy. One of my favorite rigs is a Ruger 22/45 lite with crimson trace laser grips and a dead air mask with gemtech qda. You can leave the rifle at the truck when you have to walk into the dogs, because knocking critters out of even the tallest cottonwood trees is no sweat. I also have a sbr 10/22, a Henry mares leg, and a Beretta 21A set up with qda’s for when I get bored with the 22/45.

I never use my center fire pistol hosts suppressed anymore. They’re loud, akward, boring, and completely pointless for hunting or self defense once you try toting them around with a can compared to an AR or similar braced pistol/sbr in a pistol caliber. Save your money and get something like a CMMG guard, a sbr Thompson, a B&T, or a Kriss Vector if you want to suppress something compact in 45. You’ll enjoy and use your center fire pistols much more unsuppressed for carry and defensive drills from the holster.

If you’re dead set on the center fire pistol rig, I would guess the M&P factory spring will cycle fine with a can. You can usually actually drop the spring weight if you want to shoot lighter/quieter loads, but not by much. My full-size P320 in 9mm will lock up with a 14lb spring, but not with a 12.5lb spring. It still takes a whole grain of powder more to cycle the slide than my AR 9mm takes to cycle. Again, any commercial can or form 1 kit will work, just pick one with the features you like the best in your price range. You’re ears are probably not going to enjoy shooting any of the modular cans in their short configuration a whole lot, and you’re probably not going to enjoy shooting the full sized cans a whole lot because of how they handle. Just kind of a lose / lose situation.

I went with a Sig Sauer SRD45 and a Sig Sauer SRD22X.

Both easy to clean and Sig Sauer is great with questions and support over the phone.

I called about the SRD45 and was told it would handle up to 40,000 PSI loads.

The hottest loads I could find for 10mm on Hodgons web site were 36,900 PSI.

Plunking pests with subsonic 22LR is about as much fun as I have had in years.

Chris

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrI love my Dead Air suppressors. I have their mask for my ruger 22/45 light. I also have a ghost on my 40. Cal pistol. Both break down for easy cleaning.

Yep! One more thumbs up for the Mask & Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. It’s a great pairing and tons of fun to shoot. Amazingly accurate straight out of the box. Regular .22LR CCI’s run fine in it, and not much noticeable decibel difference than the sub-sonic CCI’s that also put through it. Just wish the 22/45 had higher than 10 capacity magazine.

Last edited:
I have a Volquartsen Scorpion 22lr and I use a Thunderbeast 22 Takedown on it... it's by far my favorite and I shoot it every day... I also have a Silencerco Sparrow but I very much dislike it...

I have the Rugged Obsidian and it is an awesome can. I was dead set on buying a threaded bbl for my 1911 however, while waiting on my stamp I had an opportunity to shoot a couple suppressed .45's and after those experiences, my 1911 remains without a threaded bbl and the Obsidian was ultimately used on my Sig MPX where it performed fantastic. I'm now using a Mystic X on the MPX and the Obsidian will most likely end up on a .45 PCC though that's down the road. Absolutely demo someone's suppressed CF pistol before you go that route, PCC's are where it's at IMO!

Lots of great rimfire cans out there (some mentioned in this thread). I'd absolutely recommend you buy one that has baffles ONLY made of either stainless steel or titanium so you have multiple options for cleaning methods. If you choose one that has baffles that seals the blast from the outer tube, that's a bonus to remove it easier from the tube. Good luck with your choices.

I like my 22, I got a laser under the barrel.

Yw2vuoJ.jpg

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOG

2. Will I need to run a heavier recoil spring in the 45 when suppressed ?

Get a suppressor with a LID so you can effectively deal with cycling.

Back