Bullet Options For Black Bear

xphunter

I have a likely opportunity to go after black bear in the near future.
I have never hunted black bear before.
I already know that Partitions and the 6.5 140 AB's and the 7mm 160 AB's will work on black bear.
Will be using one of my center-grip XP-100 specialty pistols and a revolver.

Here is my question is do these work on black bear?
7mm 175 grain ELD-X at 2900 fps or the Nosler LR Accubond at the same speed.

142 6.5 LR Accubond from 2700-3050ish fps. Three different 6.5's
The 7mm load with the 175 ELD-X took four elk last year and a muley buck, all under 250 yards

Has anyone killed several bears with the 175 ELD-X or LR AB's in 6.5 and or 7mm with satisfying results?

Thanks!

Back bears are not to tough of critters. I’ve got a buddy who shoots the elds in a 224 Valkyrie at coyotes and smashes them. Not the same situation I know but you see where I’m going with it. But I do not have knowslge w those particular bullets in bears. I used a 308 once in a bear hunt but can not recall which bullet I loaded up for it. .

I've only killed one and been around a couple others. Based on that limited experience, they seem to me like deer with lots of hair. With that in mind, I like a bullet that expands reasonably well but also exits - I like nice bleeding exit wounds to hopefully get some blood past all that hair that desperately wants to soak it all up and ruin your chance at trailing your bear.

Shot a few with 25/06 with Nosler partitions ,did just fine. Shots from 90 to 340 yds . Furthest one made it was 20 yds and piled up.

Back