Ultrec tripod????

robbor

I'm looking at an ultrec carbon tripod or a bog hd-3 for shooting squirrels bc I'm really shakey. And one have any experience with ultrec?

You might find that one with a ball head will work better for you. I just bought a Neewer that is rated to 33 lbs and it works well. A very similar one is available at Night Goggles. The Night Stalker and it's a pretty good one. You'll want to get an extra pad to mount on the stock of your rifle. The Neewer and the Night Stalker use Arca type pads. I mount them direct to my rifles when it's convenient. On the AR's I bolt them to the handguard as close to the clip as I can get. On the .22's, I use a Triclawmps. You'll like shooting from a tripod. It really makes a difference with your accuracy. The squirrels won't like it though.

I've got one of those that I rigged with a ball head. It is quick to set the legs, but I've had difficulty with the flexion below the trigger part. It moves to much for my liking. I went back to the more rigid tripod. I don't have any difficulty doing a quick setup with mine. For squirrels, that flexing might not be an issue, but when I use the tripod on longer shots on coyotes, I want the rigidity of the Night Stalker type tripod.

I did the same thing-ball head on a Gen 3 Jim Shockey TS-yes, too much flex. Thinking about pressure wrapping it with Flex Seal tape.

Originally Posted By: 1loboI've got one of those that I rigged with a ball head. It is quick to set the legs, but I've had difficulty with the flexion below the trigger part. It moves to much for my liking. I went back to the more rigid tripod. I don't have any difficulty doing a quick setup with mine. For squirrels, that flexing might not be an issue, but when I use the tripod on longer shots on coyotes, I want the rigidity of the Night Stalker type tripod.

Agreed. The point of this thread is a light easy to use tripod to steady the shot when hunting SQUIRRELS. I assume most would use a heavy duty tripod with heavier hunting rigs.

4WDWJJ6.jpg

Back