Almost everything you could want to know about modern BCG's

I have had my head in the sand for years. Most all my platforms began from Colt rifles.

There-for most all of my BCG's are Colt.

What do you fellas think about all these new fancy coatings and such.

This video was pretty good at showing some of whats out there. I always loose a bit of faith when somebody endorses an item that he/she has not tried. For example: The Bootleg adjustable carrier.

I had no luck with that thing at all.

I am in the market for another BCG for a 20 inch rifle build right now. I am not sure to go with Mil-Spec, Chrome, Nitride or one of the other many coatings.

Brownells sells the 3 listed above for around $130

The Bootleg has a Nitride coating. I must admit that i like that a lot.

ive got a NIB coated BCG and a couple of melonite coated bcg's

and being as i shoot suppressed almost all the time.. i'm *NEVER* going back to standard phosphate if i have an option.

just too much extra grime to clean up and the coated ones take half or less of the time to get that carbon out of them than a standard phosphate does.

if you watch, you can get a basic 223/556 nitride bcg for under $100. i've got two that i paid around $75 for (delivered)

I got a nitrite bolt carrier group from Palmetto Arms for $50, six months ago. It operates perfectly and wipes clean. What is there not to love about that?

Great info, thanks for sharing.

I have tried many different BCG's over the years from simple phosphated ones, to NIB, to Nitrided. I think it has more to do with who is treating them than what treatment they are getting. I have had phosphated ones gall quickly while others lasted years. I have had NiB peel.

Currently I am favoring the Rubber City Armory Nitrided ones. I run one in my suppressed .308 and the carbon just slides right off. No big collection of carbon to have to scrub off, no serious appreciable wear even though I have fired hundreds of suppressed rounds with it.

My new chromed BCG from Young Manufacturing just showed up on Friday. I get to take it to the range on Tuesday. I will compare it with a mil-spec version and see if the plating makes for less headspace or not.

This thing has a fancy chrome coating with an HMB bolt. (the cam pin hole does not go all the way though)

This particular Carrier is not staked. They clean it, glue it & torque it. It seems strange. But they come highly recommended.

EDIT: After a day at the range i found the Young Manufacturing BCG actually had 1 thousandths extra headspace room. Seems they accounted for the plating. Bad science though as i only compared it to one Mil Spec Colt Bolt.

Back