ATN 4K Pro vs Sightmark Wraith

Bmelvin

Does anyone have first hand experience with both of these day/night NV scopes? ATN is slightly more expensive but has twice the battery life. Other than that they seem pretty level on specs. Thank you for your time

I have the 4k in 3-14x and I like it. It’s a real step up from the X-Sight 2 which I also had. The battery life of the 4k is fantastic. If only other scope makers would do the same. Also, the eye relief is much better than the older second generation model. The 4k is very light sensitive and as such sometimes doesn’t have contrast like I would hope for, to better distinguish the target animal from the background. It isn’t that bad but could be better. I was using a more powerful TR-38 850nm light and found that stepping down to a Uniquefire T-20 actually does a little better with contrast. The 4k has onboard recording WITH SOUND that works well. A simple push of a button on top of the scope activates recording and another push stops it.

As to the Wraith, I have been very interested in hearing / seeing reviews and figured I would purchase one later unless reviews are not good. The resolution appears to be really good according to specs, better than any other digital. However, I recently learned that while it does have onboard recording, it DOES NOT HAVE SOUND. That one thing has lessened its appeal to me. The scope (from the specs) seems to be a step up in digital and from all appearances has the potential to be top notch. Why Sightmark would neglect sound when designing a brand new scope from the ground up, beats me. It’s like they set out to produce a top tier digital but left out an important feature that hunters want. You could record sound with another device, maybe a phone, and edit it in, but that’s just one more device to have to get operational in the heat of the moment when a coyote is coming in fast. Plus, it requires additional work with editing and getting sound and video synchronized. I also wish onboard battery life was better, but at least it accepts an external battery.

The Wraith may be such a good scope that many will be satisfied with it as is, without sound, but hopefully Sightmark will recognize their mistake and bring sound to new models.

Just my two cents worth.

Good comparison 6mm06. Tom from Night Goggles is ordering some in and I will be using one. Since IR is not currently allowed in my state, I will mostly be using it for day filming, but will do some non-hunting night testing to see how it operates. I didn't have a 4K but did have an Xsight II. Not expecting the Wraith until sometime in June, but will do a write up when I get a chance to use it.

Looking forward to your review, Kirsch. The old adage of "never say never" always applies. I like the idea (and specs) of the Wraith and who knows, I may end up with one yet. I just wish Sightmark would have got it right the first time, but of course ATN didn't either with the X-Sight. It has taken them three tries to get the 4k. The Wraith could be a work in progress and we may end up with a much better one down the road. Time will tell. Maybe Sightmark will listen to thoughts and comments like these much like ATN listened to comments / complaints about the X-Sight and incorporated those ideas into the 4k.

The good thing is, we all stand to gain as time marches on. Generally companies compete with each other and try to outdo the other, so better products are likely to be developed. That's a win for hunters.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Looking forward to your review, Kirsch. The old adage of "never say never" always applies. I like the idea (and specs) of the Wraith and who knows, I may end up with one yet. I just wish Sightmark would have got it right the first time, but of course ATN didn't either with the X-Sight. It has taken them three tries to get the 4k.
The main 2 items you have mentioned are the audio and the battery. A battery pack to me isn't a big deal, although I like the idea of fewer things connected to the scope. Audio to many is a big deal. To me not having it just eliminates a ton of wind noise (which can always be muted anyway). One thing I will say is my XsightII actually recorded much better audio than my Pulsars did. The only time I really kind of liked having it was when the coyotes would be very vocal with me, as this was always nice to hear in the recordings. For the hunters who just wants to pull the video and post it, I can see where having included audio would be nice. If it holds zero, has a good picture, decent eye relief, and is reliable, I will be very happy.

Yeah, audio isn’t important to everyone. Some just want to be able to see and squeeze a trigger. Above all, seeing well with good resolution and contrast is the most important to me, and reliability of course. All the other features are just icing on the cake but those things are what makes a good scope great.

I've seen a couple of videos of the Wraith at work and it seems the view looks kinda shaky. I wonder if that is going to be an issue? I've read comments that would indicate that the shaky aspect is not necessarily the shooter.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Yeah, audio isn’t important to everyone. Some just want to be able to see and squeeze a trigger. Above all, seeing well with good resolution and contrast is the most important to me, and reliability of course. All the other features are just icing on the cake but those things are what makes a good scope great.

Audio is a nice option to have. I think of it when trail cams came out with the video option on them but didn't have audio. Then they added audio and it really added to the videos. I like having audio IF the sound is good and it doesn't sound like it is muffled coming from the inside of a 10' deep tin can. I am not impressed with the audio from my Pulsar Trail and Sightmark Photon...it needs major help.

I have been working with an ATN 4K for 10 months now.
ATN replaced my scope last summer. It gets better all the time.
The last update helped a lot. Here is my SBR with my Specwar 7,62.
Battery life for the 4K is 16 hours plus. My ABL rangefinder is spot on, you turn it on and shoot. The Wraith is new, given some time it may be something great. There are other companies coming out with new scopes. I just bought a Sight II. It does a nice job. Once you work out the batteries. Mine runs 6 hours with a power cell.

The ATN scopes are a lot to learn. Some people think they should be like glass scopes. They will not read the handbook and will not take the time to learn something new. They are a lot of work. But in the end, they work. I watch a guy put one on a crossbow. He used a handheld an ATN rangefinder That is where I go next but with the ABL. That is the thing that mounts on the front of the scope. With Bluetooth, it talks to the scope's ballistic calculator. That is all in the video.
My Ravin R20 is here in the box. "Next week" The one thing is, I am not bored.

nxemJvo.jpg

Hr1mEJf.jpg

Revisiting this topic since the wraiths are hitting the street a little more now. Has anyone been able to compare the two scopes side by side. Basically just want to know the clarity and the distance for both. I am not overly concerned about the bells and whistles. Thanks for your time guys

Originally Posted By: 1loboI've seen a couple of videos of the Wraith at work and it seems the view looks kinda shaky. I wonder if that is going to be an issue? I've read comments that would indicate that the shaky aspect is not necessarily the shooter.

I just received mine yesterday and it was a little shaky so I set it on a table and looked through it. Solid as a rock. When your shaky it might exacerbate the shakiness?

I can't speak for ATN, but I can for the Wraith. I can go 300 yards or more on Night Vision with Infinity IR. Pretty darn good picture.
The Wraith if adjusted right gives a much better picture than the videos you saw. The IR that comes with it is adequate, but there are two many buttons to push in close quarters. There are 2 buttons to push to get on night vision, then there are 3 buttons to push to get the right setting on the IR plus scope adjustment. I learned the hard way to many things to do with coyote in range. With the Infinity you get everything set-up you turn scope on NV turn on IR take the shot. Much easier.

Last edited:
Back