Ritchs Precision Guns

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3211011 - 08/27/19 11:58 AM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
varminter .223 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: south central Illinois
Well we have over a thousand rounds of that brass so it would only make sense that it is not good LOL. I might have an individual I know who used to do a lot of neck turning spin a few necks down just to test if nothing else not to necessarily reduce the diameter but take any bulges or irregularities out of it. I also have a dial bore gauge that would work perfectly for reaching down into the throat and measuring the diameter of it.

Edited by varminter .223 (08/27/19 11:59 AM)

#3211014 - 08/27/19 12:16 PM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
dtech Offline
PM Sponsor

Loc: Bemidji, MN
Originally Posted By: varminter .223
I also have a dial bore gauge that would work perfectly for reaching down into the throat and measuring the diameter of it.

You can go ahead and measure it you wish, but quite frankly, it's impossible for the same reamer to cut one chamber tighter than another. It is the same reamer dimensions that have cut all of my chambers for probably more than 12 years.

Logically, if it were a chamber that somehow got cut with a smaller neck than all of my others, then it would not have worked for others, and it has.

The diameter of the neck is only relevant in knowing whether the neck of a loaded round will fit or not.

#3211016 - 08/27/19 12:37 PM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
varminter .223 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Well I don't know how many chambers you can cut with the reamer before they dull and you lose a thou or even a couple but my only concern is those necks not growing to reamer neck diameter. I thought maybe my brass was a little thick along with the combination of a neck that could be just a hair tight that maybe doesn't show up with thinner brass. Tollerance stack so to speak. I size, ream, clearance and fit things in holes everday and I have a good acquaintance with Murphy and I understand the things that can go wrong no matter how much money is spent on equipment or how much attention is paid to the job. Sometimes peace of mind is worth the effort to get it.

As they say in the engine building world if it's a hair loose only the guy putting it together knows and if it's a hair tight everyone knows.

Edited by varminter .223 (08/27/19 12:40 PM)

#3211017 - 08/27/19 12:47 PM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
dtech Offline
PM Sponsor

Our chamber reamers have a solid carbide body, with a removable bushing pilot with oil groves ground into them. The pilot wears and is replaced as needed.

The chamber is roughed with a solid carbide roughing reamer, so the finish reamer really does very little work. If the reamer gets dull or is chipped, it is replace with another cut to the same dimensions, and the old one is sent in (one time) to be resharpened. When they are resharpened, everything gets moved back, keeping all of the neck and body dimensions the exact same as new.

The reamers actually will cut a huge amount of chambers, and I wouldn't doubt that the one that cut your chamber is still the same exact reamer that we are using today, and it's still not cutting tight chambers.

Edited to add: Come to think of it, in all the tens of thousands of barrels that I have chambered, I've never seen a chamber reamer actually cut a smaller chamber due to wear. I have measured necks on reamers that have done more than their share of work, and have never been able to measure any wear on a solid carbide reamer. And when I say any, I mean down to the 1/10th of a thousandth of an inch, much less a "thousandth or two."

Edited by dtech (08/27/19 12:53 PM)

#3211019 - 08/27/19 01:16 PM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: Bigdwebster]
SlickerThanSnot Online
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: stuck in a fence
Originally Posted By: Bigdwebster
When I had this upper I loaded with rcbs rockchucker and rcbs and Redding dies without any jams. Regular rcbs shellholder and firm cam over. I have factory ammo and some reloads your welcome to try. If you still have my number shoot me a txt or if not pm me and I will get them to you.

so what has changed?

#3211021 - 08/27/19 01:23 PM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
dtech Offline
PM Sponsor

Lots: different brass, different dies, different press and different hand-loader.

My best guess is the brass is the culprit. The truth is that the sooner we can put suspicion that the neck is tight behind us, the sooner the problem will be resolved.

#3211024 - 08/27/19 01:40 PM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
varminter .223 Offline
Die Hard Member III

The Press is basically new and it is a rock chucker 2. The dies are also brand new RCBS. I generally won't mess with used dies. I have seen brass cause problems before and I'm hoping that is the problem.

#3211034 - 08/27/19 03:01 PM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
1lessdog Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: N.D./Mn
Mine did the same thing. Make sure when your resizing that the press cams over and the shell holder hits the bottom of the die. I went to Pam cooking spray on them cases and they all chambered. Make sure the shell holder bottoms out.

#3211035 - 08/27/19 03:06 PM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
varminter .223 Offline
Die Hard Member III

I use RCBS Case Lube with huge press cam over LOL. The new unsized rounds with an additional .010 shoulder setback do the same thing. As stated before new and resize cases chamber like a champ. Issue arises when you expand the case neck when seating a bullet. I'm not sure if I ever tried any one shot Lube before seating though. I don't know if that would have any effect on distortion of the brass or not.

Edited by varminter .223 (08/27/19 03:10 PM)

#3211079 - 08/28/19 09:04 AM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
jrnm Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Clayton NM
Something that has helped me as much as anything was to get a case length, headspace gauge, if it fits, it shoots in the ar.

Don't be afraid to mortar the ar if you get a stuck round, I also carry a military 223 cleaning kit so I can drive out a stuck round from the chamber as well.

The ar 243 wssm is worth the BS when you get it worked out. 60-69 grain bullets and the coyotes just give up out of respect. LOL.

#3211128 - 08/29/19 11:30 AM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
JMette Offline

Loc: illinois
I've got some 243 wssm turned necks you are more than welcome to try if youd like. they are winchester brass purchased from the midway deal. never had an issue in my dtech upper with them. you can try a couple of new neck turned ones, and a couple once fired resized in redding dies too that were neck turned too. as they say smoke the case to find where its hanging up.. or sharpie rather. cheers

-Shoot Straight... Shoot often-

#3211571 - 09/03/19 11:14 PM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
SlickerThanSnot Online
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: stuck in a fence
any new updates on this?

#3211601 - 09/04/19 09:12 AM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
varminter .223 Offline
Die Hard Member III

No..... again it's not really my upper I'm just working on it for the individual. I'm waiting on him to provide me with some Factory ammunition or different brass. However I'm sure he would sell the upper for a very reasonable price if anyone is interested.

Edited by varminter .223 (09/04/19 09:22 AM)

#3211733 - 09/05/19 09:33 AM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: varminter .223]
jrnm Offline
Seasoned Member

I believe they are worth the effort. Even though I don't use mine much, I prefer the 6DTI, mainly because it is threaded and I can use a suppressor, my wssm just has the internal brake which works quite well and isn't as loud as you would believe.

The thing that helped me the most was the Wilson chamber gauge, much easier to use than cycling through the action. I quit having brass problems. I occasionally anneal, and have done some neck turning.

#3213857 - 10/02/19 09:27 AM Re: 243 wssm fired case neck diameter? [Re: jrnm]
jrnm Offline
Seasoned Member

Any update?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  SnowmanMo 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.