First kill with the Thermion XP38

larryb

This is video from Thursday night, with the Thermion XP38. 6.8 SPCll, 110 grain Hornady Black Ammo, range 50 yds.124 lb. boar. Still trying to get the hang of the new scope, so be gentle with your comments. Because of poor positioning on my part, I was not able to swing around for follow up shots but I did try to take a shot, but missed. [video:youtube][/video] I am very pleased with the scope, it has exceeded my expectations and once I get it all figured out it'll be fine (learning curve)

What did you shoot at at the 1:09 mark? Looked like a blob that didn’t seem to move after the shot. What range do you think that was?

I was hoping no one saw that, but to tell you the truth it was a nat that was on the lens of my scope, the grass was really high and I thought it was a hog, the range was right at 100 yds. There was also at the beginning another nat on the scope lens...

The image looks good in the video. That's a very interesting unit with a lot of potential, especially for bolt action rigs.

I checked the specs and the 320 core units with the 12 micron pitch and they have too much magnification except to be used for a single shot unit IMO. The lowest native magnification in the XM line is the XM30 with 3x base magnification and a 7.3 degree FOV. I cannot understand why most of the Pulsar line has gone to high magnification units with very little FOV.

I think a couple of their design engineers need to go out one night and tag along on an open field stalk on a 40 hog sounder.

You got the best unit out of the bunch with the XP38 640 core and the 16.3 degree FOV.
thumbup1.gif

Now I think Yellowhammer needs to mount one of these on his new Creedmoor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757 The lowest native magnification in the XM line is the XM30 with 3x base magnification and a 7.3 degree FOV. I cannot understand why most of the Pulsar line has gone to high magnification units with very little FOV. ....I think a couple of their design engineers need to go out one night and tag along on an open field stalk on a 40 hog sounder.
Exactly what I have been saying for a while now. They need to come hunt with me a little. I guarantee they would come away educated. On top of that, a lot of hunters have to save really hard (and with a degree of guilt) to buy even the cheaper series, ie the XM, which aren’t cheap at all by most standards, only to get too much magnification and essentially useless for a lot of applications. Going to the XP series in order to get a decent field of view is just not an option for a LOT of hunters. On Predator Masters, and perhaps a few other forums, I think we have essentially become desensitized to costs and talk each other into purchasing these high-priced toys. I mean, most anywhere out in the everyday working man world, $4500 is just not a consideration at all for a rifle scope when a guy has to put food on the table for a wife and kids. Even the cheaper XM series is a huge price for the average guy. You would think Pulsar would understand that and at least try to cover the field well so that many more could play.

I would love to have a scope like Larryb’s and the 1.5x base magnification would suite me well here. But at the price of the XP I just don’t see it happening. Maybe when I inherit some rich unknown uncle’s estate!!!!

The FLIR PTS233 appears to be the best deal right now. Low power, 12 micron core and a pretty good price ($2200). Don't have one, but that would be my first choice on a budget.

I like the higher magnification for my style of hunting where it's only a couple hogs across open fields. For AR hunters if you like pulsar's products and don't like higher magnification then buy the Trail models.

I currently have a IRD MKII 35mm and normally I'm shooting at 2x.

Back