Pulsar Axion Key XM30

bmgreen91

Just recently purchased this product. Went out the first time to give it a shot, and had some cows in the pasture and wow did it show up just as I thought it would. Had a coyote come out and saw him just fine as I would have expected. Here is where my issue comes in and please bear with me. My buddy has the Axion XM30 and I have used it. You can se crazy amounts of detail like the trees and if there are raccoons in the trees ect. Min you can se the animals well but when it comes to detail of the trees and the landscape it is almost not able to be seen. For example when I pull my optic up, I have to scan up and then down just to find where the ground is, so I know where to scan left and right. From using my buddy's this detail is beyond clear and there would be no issue finding where to scan. I have the refresh on Automatic but I did not see it updating like I thought it should, I also adjusted both the front lenses, and the back eye piece. Has anyone had a similar issue, and if so or if not what did you do, or what would you suggest trying. I didn't spend $1,700 to have a optic that kind of works. Thank you in advance for your responses.

I haven't used the Axions but have used the Helions. If it was a Helion, I would tell you to try the three different modes. Forest, rocks and ID, and see which seems to yield the best picture. Once you get one that looks the best, then go in and manually adjust the brightness and contrast settings. Page 3 of the user's manual talks about how to do this. If after all of these things it still isn't looking as good as the other monocular, I would reset the thermal back to default settings. This can sometimes make a big difference, and then go back through the steps to clear up the picture as described.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence but have used both thermals at the same time, looking at the same objects? The reason I ask is humidity. I have taken the same thermal one night and you could every detail of a coyote, and then the next night the humidity is high, and you can barely make out the object.

The Key doesn't have as good of a display, so that could account for a little bit of difference, but I don't think as much as you are describing. The last thing if you still aren't getting a good image, I would record some video and contact Pulsar customer service, and send it to them and show them the image you are seeing.

You might PM Weekender. He has the same handheld and might be able to tell you if it is your machine or a characteristic of the Key model.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpKirsch, I don't think the Key has recording capability.

The key doesn't record, but one could use their phone to record and show what it looks like through the eye piece.

Originally Posted By: capitolOriginally Posted By: DoubleUpKirsch, I don't think the Key has recording capability.
The key doesn't record, but one could use their phone to record and show what it looks like through the eye piece. True on the recording, good catch. I was thinking of what I would do if it was a Helion. Yes, it could always be done via the eyepiece.

I tried to phone through the eye piece to record and it doesn't work well for me. It degrades the image badly. I can see the landscape with my key but high humidity really puts a hurt on quality of the image. I can see deer easy 300 yds. I have not looked through a XM30 to know how it compares to the key.

Back