T/C Venture 223

pyscodog

We tried to shoot some skeet this morning but it was just way to hot and unpleasant, so mid morning we called it quits. I decided to hit a gun show in Tulsa hoping the AC was on running full blast. I wasn't really looking for anything, just something to do to get out of the heat. I sold my HB Remington 223 a while back and was hoping to find something to replace it. I had been to a couple of shops and nothing really caught my eye. I stopped at a table and started chatting with a guy from Missouri and he had a T/C Venture on his table. The rifle was very clean and had a BSA Sweet 223 6x18 scope and a bi-pod on it. Also had been threaded and a Vias brake installed. I guess the recoil was to much for the previous owner. LOL! Anyway. he said he needed to sell something today and shot me a price. Guess it was a good enough one as I took it home. Sure hope it holds true to all the hype I've read about the T/C's being shooters. Maybe I'll brave the heat and go find out tomorrow. And yes, the scope will get replace but it will work for the first trial run. I have three scopes setting on the shelf and all three are lots better than the BSA.

I have the TC Venture in 204
thumbup1.gif

I will say that the bolt is extremely smooth and it has a decent trigger but that can be made better. I may just leave it as is if it shoots good. The whole reason for buying it was for an inexpensive 223 that shoots decent and a scratch here and there won't matter.

My 338 shoots pretty good. I did have to fill the honeycomb for end with 2 part epoxy to stiffen it. The rifle poi changed from bipod to bags or sled until I did the stiffening and bedded the rear tang area. All my TC barrels are sub moa.

Well, 94 degrees and a south wind but I wanted to shoot the T/C. I had 25 rounds loaded, 15 with Varget,26,26.5, 27 grains and a 53 grain V-Max. Then 10 with Varget, 26.5 and 27 and a Hornady 52 grain ELD-M. These were loaded for a Remington and I sold the Remington a while back, so OAL was just a shot in the dark. All were 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Smallest was with the V-Max at .449 and that was with 4 through one hole and one just out. Largest was with the ELD-M's at .781. All 5 groups well under T/C's sub MOA guarantee. Needless to say I was impressed. Now a few cons, the BSA scope sucks as bad as anything has ever sucked before and the trigger needs some serious help as well. The trigger has some creep which can be adjusted out but its pretty heavy for me. That can be fixed to.

I cut a coil off the trigger spring on mine, but thinking about getting a Mcarbo kit for my Dimension and the Venture. The 12.95 is cheap for a good light trigger.

I just finished cutting a coil off my trigger. The Mcarbo springs work pretty good. I have one in a Ruger and one in another rifle but don't remember now. Watch their shipping. Took a month and a bunch of emails and phone calls to get my first one. It did come but it was a major PITA getting it.Second one went OK.

Probably THE best rifle in its price range. I have one in 22-250 and one in 270 Win. Both are absolute tack drivers. 2 days ago I shot a 3/8" 5 shot group with the 270 and my handloads.

I shot a 5 shot group at 100yds this morning that was a .169. Blew me completely away when I saw it. All the planets must have been lined up for that one. I was using Varget and a 53 grain V-Max. Guess I found what it likes right from the start. I'm not looking any further.

A 3/8" 5 shot group with a 270 has got to be great in anyone's book. Never dreamed that T/C would produce a budget rifle that shoots like this. Not to sure I would class them as budget rifles, they seem better than that to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI shot a 5 shot group at 100yds this morning that was a .169. Blew me completely away when I saw it. All the planets must have been lined up for that one. I was using Varget and a 53 grain V-Max. Guess I found what it likes right from the start. I'm not looking any further.

A 3/8" 5 shot group with a 270 has got to be great in anyone's book. Never dreamed that T/C would produce a budget rifle that shoots like this. Not to sure I would class them as budget rifles, they seem better than that to me.

Doesn't surprise me at all. I don't think I have seen one that doesn't shoot. The trigger could be a little bit better but they are not horrible. Mine are the standard Ventures and not the predator models. I really wish they still made them, but I think they have been replaced by the Compass......which I don't like nearly as well.

Great? It's nearly unbelievable! Lol. I will never doubt these rifles after owning 2 of them and seeing what my buddie's Venture Predator in 243 will do. Enjoy that little beauty and don't ever let it go! I think I bought both of mine on sale for around $400.

I definitely wouldn't call them a "budget" rifle either. In my opinion, they are head and shoulders above the Savage Axis and the Ruger American. They are basically a "less fancy" T/C Icon, which used to sell for just shy of a grand.

Last edited:
I bought a Predator in 308 a few days ago from a local pawn shop. It acts like it will be a good shooting rifle also. I worked on the trigger and it breaks under 2 pounds with no creep. Not sure about leaving the matching scope on it. The eye relief is very short and the 308 gets in your face pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: BowhuntProbably THE best rifle in its price range. I have one in 22-250 and one in 270 Win. Both are absolute tack drivers. 2 days ago I shot a 3/8" 5 shot group with the 270 and my handloads.

This. I've been trying to get people to look at these for years. I have one in .243 and they are shooters. Should be great.

GET THE M CARBO REPLACEMENT TRIGGER SPRINV KIT. I put one on mine and there is a little creep but it went from 4.5 lb trigger (adjusted down as far as it could go) to a 2.5-3 lb trigger. Its sweet. Watch the video and follow it step by step.

Originally Posted By: AcroninOriginally Posted By: BowhuntProbably THE best rifle in its price range. I have one in 22-250 and one in 270 Win. Both are absolute tack drivers. 2 days ago I shot a 3/8" 5 shot group with the 270 and my handloads.

This. I've been trying to get people to look at these for years. I have one in .243 and they are shooters. Should be great.

GET THE M CARBO REPLACEMENT TRIGGER SPRINV KIT. I put one on mine and there is a little creep but it went from 4.5 lb trigger (adjusted down as far as it could go) to a 2.5-3 lb trigger. Its sweet. Watch the video and follow it step by step.

The little nut and screw on the back side of the trigger will adjust that creep out. Easy peezy.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog The little nut and screw on the back side of the trigger will adjust that creep out. Easy peezy.
True, but don't make the mistake I made of removing all the creep and making the firing system unstable.
Before I fixed my mistake, it would infrequently slam fire (yes, in a bolt).
Leave just enough gap/creep that the bolt will always cock the trigger on closing.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.I've had a TC Icon in 243w for several years ,,,Great rifles.
Icon is a top of the line, extremely well built model, Wish I had one.
The Venture is a low end, high value model, I have one in 22-250 and its a gem.

I just bought a Venture in 22/250 at Cabela's and have not shot it yet.These posts have talked me into the buy.The rifle was used and I put a Bushnell 3200 on it.Thanks to all that post on here,really helps with making up a mind to buy another toy.

Back