Kansas

I've tried it multiple times after the wife told me that our Labradoodle-stein was a hunting dog. She always changed her mind when she learned it would probably be a one-way hunting trip for the dog.

I don't know of anyone in my area using decoy dogs but I've seen some YouTube videos of a guy down in the SE corner I think. What part of the state are you in?

Out near Wichita. I have a herder that shows a lot of interest in fur. I have done it before. Just looking for another like mind person to hit it with.

Good luck to you, I'm originally from SW of Wichita. Lots of greyhound hunters out that way but the wet winter/spring haven't helped them with all the tall grass.
And I hope you enjoy KS even though there are no mountains.

Aint many coyotes is Kansas anymore. Stay away from the areas that use greyhounds, the coyotes dont work dogs very good in those areas.

Originally Posted By: btech29Aint many coyotes is Kansas anymore. Stay away from the areas that use greyhounds, the coyotes dont work dogs very good in those areas. That couldn't be further from the truth. We've got more coyotes than you can shake a stick at. Lots of pups this year too.

Last edited:
I might be taking this wrong but to me it seems like somebody was wanting a little help/info or just a like minded friend and the above poster is just trying to shut it all down. Apparently nobody else should hunt in Kansas. Why be on this site or Why even have this website if that's the way it is? There is a long drawn out thread about what's wrong with this website and its things like that that will kill it? I've been a lurker for years and after seeing that I started posting more and I'm sure I'm not the only one doing more to keep it going. But things like that are what's killing it

Originally Posted By: OsageAssassinOriginally Posted By: btech29Aint many coyotes is Kansas anymore. Stay away from the areas that use greyhounds, the coyotes dont work dogs very good in those areas. That couldn't be further from the truth. We've got more coyotes than you can shake a stick at. Lots of pups this year too.

btech29 is one of the most respected decoy dog coyote hunters in this country. When he says using decoy dogs in areas that the coyotes are hunted with Greyhounds doesn't work very well, you should probable listen to him.

I don't think there are very many coyote hunters that want to see the specific areas that they hunt in posted on the internet.

I apologise if I'm wrong. It sounded to me like somebody who doesn't want anybody else hunting around that area (which is pretty big) by saying there aren't many coyotes any more and then getting annoyed when somebody else said there are plenty of coyotes to hunt. And I've seen it before on here. I actually found predatorMasters through another forum that happened to be talking about how the people on here treated people bad. That's been a few years and I don't see it as much as I did but it could get bad. People shouldnt knock anybody or steer them the wrong way just because they think nobody new should try it or they are doing it a way that you don't like. And I might just be reading the whole thread wrong and apologize if I am..

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: OsageAssassinOriginally Posted By: btech29Aint many coyotes is Kansas anymore. Stay away from the areas that use greyhounds, the coyotes dont work dogs very good in those areas. That couldn't be further from the truth. We've got more coyotes than you can shake a stick at. Lots of pups this year too.

btech29 is one of the most respected decoy dog coyote hunters in this country. When he says using decoy dogs in areas that the coyotes are hunted with Greyhounds doesn't work very well, you should probable listen to him.

I don't think there are very many coyote hunters that want to see the specific areas that they hunt in posted on the internet.

I was referring to the coyote population, which is doing just fine. I also didn’t mention my specific area in any way. I don’t know much about decoy dogging, and wasn’t referring to his comments on that. Wasn’t trying to be confrontational in any way. I was just responding to his comment that there aren’t many coyotes in Kansas, which certainly isn’t the case.

Last edited:
Seeing them around home when I hunt and feed cattle, and talking to other friends who coyote hunt in different parts of the state. It’s certainly possible that they could be down in areas, but I haven’t heard that from anyone, and that hasn’t been my observation. It seems to be up in my area, if anything. Again, I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers, I was just surprised by btech’s comment on the coyote population. I don’t question the knowledge of anyone on this forum.

ETA: I’m deer hunting this morning, and have already seen some coyotes, and heard them howling in several directions. Saw a nice bobcat from this tree last weekend.

Last edited:
No ruffling of my feathers. I do have the opposite assessment of coyote density than you though, at least in the 10 counties that I predominantly hunt. These were hugely affected by the near perpetual flooding from February through July. The prey species were decimated and I expect the YOY crop was also. It's logical to think that adults migrated to better conditions and maybe you'll benefit from that.

On a side note, I wish you deer hunters would get finished up so I can get back to calling coyotes!

I’m sorry to hear about that. Hopefully populations rebound with a little less rain next year. This is the first I’ve heard anyone say they thought numbers were down. It was certainly a wet year, but we weren’t effected by the flooding like some other places were. Thankfully we still have a very strong coyote population here.

And I’m ready to be done deer hunting myself, so I can get after waterfowl, upland, and coyotes!

Last edited:
Im not saying there is not any coyotes in Kansas. I guess everyone has an opinion based upon their hunting experiences. Many would think killing 10 a year is awesome. I personally would say thats a decent day. The numbers are off a little in the areas I hunt. Notice I said "the areas I hunt". Kansas is a big state, go out and kill what ya can.

Originally Posted By: btech29Im not saying there is not any coyotes in Kansas. I guess everyone has an opinion based upon their hunting experiences. Many would think killing 10 a year is awesome. I personally would say thats a decent day. The numbers are off a little in the areas I hunt. Notice I said "the areas I hunt". Kansas is a big state, go out and kill what ya can. Fair enough! Good luck to anyone getting out amongst em!
thumbup.gif

A state is a big place, I just moved to a new state and have been having fun scouting and hunting coyotes, just driving out from my house I doubt I'll be able to get to know every spot in the next ten years. It takes a lot of scouting to really find a lot of coyotes, An out of stater coming in for a week of coyote hunting isn't going to ruin the hunting for me, a dozen wouldn't, even if I invited them to my town, heck we had the PM convention in this part of the state and it didn't hurt the coyote hunting, I stayed after the convention and hunted the area for another month and it was still good hunting. Places hold tournaments and the hunting remains pretty good, I used to hunt the Othello area of WA after they had held two tournaments and there wasn't much difference than before the tournaments.

I wouldn't take a stranger to my favorite places(been there done that duck hunting and paid the price) but I would recommend the general area. Back in WA, "out on the coast" or "south of Raymond" and could still hunt most of the season without seeing another hunter if the spot couldn't be gotten to easily.

Back