Whats it worth??

pyscodog

Found a Remington 722 in 244 today. Metal looks good and its got a nice stock with a very old scope on it. Thats the good, now the bad, to me anyway. The stock is a very nice Fajen but its a right handed rifle in a left handed stock. Didn't look down the bore yet so barrel condition is unknown. Whats a decent price to offer them?

Rem. first introduced the 244 w/a 1/12" twist then, realized their error, changed twist to 1/9 and called it a 6mm Rem. DETAILS
No idea what they are worth.

Regards,
hm

Thanks hm. I know the story about the 244 and the 6MM. I've had a few of each. Wouldn't mind having another. Mine was a 40X and a 700 though. Having a right hand bolt in a left handed stock tells me I would need some serious wood working or a new stock as I am a right handed shooter. Their asking price is $400. I'm not real sure I want to spend that much.

They will pretty much drop right into a 700 BDL stock and with a little work you can even use the 722 bottom metal. I have a 722 re-barreled to 22-250in a 700 ADL SA stock with ADL bottom metal and a 721 re-bored to 35 Whelen in a 700 BDL LA stock with 721 bottom metal The 721/722 bottom metal is sheet metal and much thinner than 700 BDL bottom metal so you have to build up where the action screws go through the stock. My 722 started out as a 300 Savage and it is about a 30 Min. job to switch it back

$400 sounds a little high if you are buying it for the action, extractors are no longer available for the them and they either have to be re-fitted with 700 extractors or Sako/AR style extractors. My 722 has a Sako extractor and the 721 is still working fine with the original.

Last edited:
The original stocks have very low combs for shooting iron sights. If you plan to scope it a move to a 700 stock or a custom stock is a good move. I also had a 722 in 257 Roberts with a Buhmiller(sp?) barrel that was a tack driver, a friend talked me out of it but that was nearly 50 yrs ago.

The bottom third of the butt is 721 lumber

A1jnMK.jpg

Last edited:
Well I have had a few days to think it over and decided I really don't need another project gun. It might have been a fun project but think I'll pass it up.

Went to a local show today and was sorely tempted by a clean Remington 740 in 30-06 for $440.00. Didn't look down the bore but looked great on outside. If it had been a .308 it would probably have followed me home.

Regards,
hm

If it had been a 760 I would have said maybe but then even $440 would be high for a 760 a few years ago I purchased a 760 in pristine condition 35 Rem for $250.. There s a reason they call the 740/742 "Jam O Mattics". I wouldn't touch a used one. I did have a new 742 BDL Deluxe that I put many rounds through target shooting with the Chinese army, and my dad killed a bunch of deer with it when I got back to the states but I always had the option of a warranty repair.

Pyscho, I do have a 722 stock complete with original metal butt plate that I'd let go for $100 plus shipping.

Last edited:
Back