Best factory sporter rifle right now

Sauer makes a nice rifle in several 100 models and configurations. I don't have a 100.
Some Tikka T3x models are on sale up to $100 off plus $75 rebate during Aug.

I think of things like in this manner. 'What is plan a, b, c, & d?? Invariably, you will want to modify something 'on your perfect sniper rifle.' From the trigger weight, to another trigger. The bergera gives you a lot of opportunities with their rem format.
I personally went with a Tikka. I had a different barrel put on it, different stock, and Im now waiting patiently (Strangling Box Fulls of Puppies while I wait
smile.gif
) for a Bix n Andy trigger.
If I had to do it all over again, there are some companies that are making custom actions that are high end, for only $800. (Only $200 more than I bought the Tikka for). With the Tikka's, your options are limited in many, many ways. With a custom barrel, made to your specs is priceless. I called the bullet company, & asked them what rate of twist, and how much free bore, and what reamer. I just got done putting this thing together. It took over a year, and a lot more $$ than I wanted to spend. But it is everything I have ever dreamed of. (So far). It's going well under half MOA, no recoil, and spitting out 55 grain 6mm bal tips @ 4320 fps. I know it won't last long. This is built for dispatching only. No PRS, beer cans, or anything else. Checking zero and blasting yotes is all I plan on doing with it.
To answer your question [beeep], I would say the bergera HMR.

Weatherby Vanguard S2's give you a lot for 499. You end up with a solid rifle, rings/bases and quality scope for 1,000 dollars. I did talley rings with a Leupold VX Freedom on my 25-06, it is a solid rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: emptymagWin 70. Pick your flavor. Extreme weather, sporter or featherweight.

My 243 is lights out with 58 grainers!!! Problem is, it’s so nice I don’t like taking it out to bang around in the field.

To me, the Savage Axis in factory form is far outperforming every other rifle out there on average for the dollars invested per accuracy and dependability return.......looks, feel, pretty/bling factor, etc, prob not so much. They've literally changed the way the rifle markets rolls now. Just a matter of what you wanna spend on a tool. Snap-on is really good stuff, but Harbor Freight does just fine for my uses @ 1/10 of the cost, and has lifetime warranty on many hand tools.

I never thought I would ever say this but dollar for dollar the T/C Venture is hard to sneeze at. I bought one Saturday and shot it Sunday and impressed is the best way to describe it. Smooth bolt, decent trigger that is easy to improve, according to T/C, match grade 5R barrel and a decent stock although tupperware. Accuracy was far better than expected as well. I liked it well enough that I bought the Predator model in 308 yesterday. Hope it shoots as good as the 223 does. JMO, but I've had the Savage Axis/Edge and the Venture is a lot nicer rifle for about the same money.

Last edited:
Browning X-Bolt, out shoots not only the five Savage rifles I've owned it also out shoots the Vanguard sub moa and my T/C Venture.
It has a button on the bolt handle you push in to open the bolt with the safety on. Rotary magazine for easy loading and unloading.

OP has never mentioned if this is just a question for discussion or if he's actually in the market for a new rifle. Either way, there are tons of options out there in todays market. Everything from "Budget" priced rifles to "High End" rifles. The amount you want to spend will have to make the choice. Strange as it sounds, spending a bunch of money on a High End rifle doesn't mean it will shoot better than a Budget priced rifle. You'll just look better shooting it.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOP has never mentioned if this is just a question for discussion or if he's actually in the market for a new rifle. Either way, there are tons of options out there in todays market. Everything from "Budget" priced rifles to "High End" rifles. The amount you want to spend will have to make the choice. Strange as it sounds, spending a bunch of money on a High End rifle doesn't mean it will shoot better than a Budget priced rifle. You'll just look better shooting it.

The thread title is "Best factory sporter rifle right now", and the OP did ask, "In your opinion who has the best factory sporter rifle/barrelled action right now?" For some people that means function and appearance when they decide how much money the are willing to spend.

So are you voting for a Savage Axis?
ohmy.gif

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOP has never mentioned if this is just a question for discussion or if he's actually in the market for a new rifle.

The thread title is "Best factory sporter rifle right now", and the OP did ask, "In your opinion who has the best factory sporter rifle/barrelled action right now?" For some people that means function and appearance when they decide how much money the are willing to spend.

ohmy.gif

Well I guess if a Savage Axis is all you can afford, then it may well be the best sporter right now.

I just ask if it was a topic for discussion or is he in the market to buy a rifle. If he's shopping, money can and usually make a difference. If its discussion, then the sky's the limit. How bout we throw Blaser rifles in the miz.

Last edited:
I have bought some fantastic Rem 700 sps stainless sporters in the last couple of years, 223, 243, 7 Mag, and 30/06.

I have heard of lemons, but I keep buying the CDL and the Stainless sps, and they keep shooting incredibly. I put a boyd's stock on them and Bed/freefloat or a Hogue with the full length bedding block( Just bolt them on), tune trigger, add muzzle break. Tiny groups abound.

Tikka's that I have shot were awesome, but I do not like the long freebore which I equate to short barrel life. The Sako 75 in 270 short mag I had was an impressive piece of machinery, top drawer, but the price is up there over $1200.

Bergara is coming on pretty strong, but I have not bought one.

The unsung hero I have seen is the Remington 783. The actions are machined very, very true. The trigger can be taken apart and re sprung making for a dream trigger. Steel mag box, free floated barrel, very fast lock time. I scoped two 783 barrels, they are impressive for the cost and they are head and shoulders ahead of the Savage barrels I have looked at....shocked at the quality is an understatement. If Remington gets rid of that ugly bolt handle, I think that you will see sales sky rocket on this model rifle. I put a tactical bolt handle on mine. The 783 also has a top drawer recoil pad, feels like a Air Tec, but I can not swear to that.

TC Venture is a shock in rifle for the cost, and they do not make them anymore, the 280 I had was a tack driver, wish I had half a dozen, however the Rem 783 is a better gun, in my opinion.

People are very different in how they are either practical or emotional on their gun wants. Pride of ownership, Practical value(form fits function), or price point to fit the family budget.
For sure, some of the best guns ever made in history are being made today. The best of Steel alloy, CNC machined make for some very good guns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOP has never mentioned if this is just a question for discussion or if he's actually in the market for a new rifle.

ohmy.gif

Well I guess if a Savage Axis is all you can afford, then it may well be the best sporter right now.

I just ask if it was a topic for discussion or is he in the market to buy a rifle. If he's shopping, money can and usually make a difference. If its discussion, then the sky's the limit. How bout we throw Blaser rifles in the miz.

Not everyone believes that what they buy is the best. Some other people do. Its how they justify their purchase whether is a lot of money or not a lot of money. Its simply "the best" in their mind because its what they bought for whatever reason.

I thought that the OP defined his question pretty well between the thread title and his first post. My answer would still be Bergara for dollar value, but it might not be the best that there is available.

If I owned a Blazer, I might be forced to buy a matching Caddilac hunting car.
laugh.gif
And IMO, the Blaser is extremely far from a good dollar value for an average guy. Maybe for Safari Joe with his matching clothing it might be a good deal.

Savage has a new rifle out, the 110 High Country. Spiral fluted bolt and barrel. I looked at one today at Bass Pro. Carries a $999 price tag. Browning has the X-Bolt He11's Canyon and they are nice. There also was a Winchester Model 70 that had some exceptionally nice looking wood on it. I can't recommend buying a rifle there but they do have a lot of different rifles to look at.

Tikka here. Solid. Good cold bore accuracy. Never had a bad one of the 13 or so I've owned. Currently rocking 3 of them. 270 Win,22/250, and a 300 WSM. I just can't find anything bad to say about them.

I wouldn't know. I shoot older factory Sako's built on the A series actions that have been accurized. Or customs built on Sako A actions. Grizz
EhBlXLVl.jpg

0UEoroUl.jpg

Hey Keith! Good to know your above ground, Rick.

Back