Coyotes with a bow.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I'm not talking about shoting a coyote incidental to other hunting but going out with just a bow and calling coyotes into bow range. Anyone do it regularly?

I call a lot of coyotes into very short ranges and have been toying with the idea of hunting the with just a bow some of the time. I used to bow hunt a lot in the 1950's and 60's and then moved to a state that you had to make a choice whether you were going to hunt deer with a bow or a rifle and my new wife's family had a deer camp and would spend the whole season up there, so bow hunting kind of went into the bottom drawer.

I'm getting a little older, and there isn't a big rush in shooting coyotes with a rifle and I'd like to spice the hunt up a little by adding a bow into the mix.

I'm shooting 20-30 arrows a night and have gotten to the point where I can cover the first three with the palm of my hand at 25 yards sitting in my chair. So I know I can hit one.

Are there any tricks that someone might add that would be unique to calling coyotes to the bow, elevated stands and ground blind are not an option it will pretty much be at ground level as with a rifle.

Thanks

AWS

You need to look up Joseph wirth on Facebook. His guiding page is close encounters guide service. Is a straight coyote killing machine that has been known to archery hunt for them in the spring/ summer

I have taken two on the ground while calling. Sounds like you are more than ready accuracy wise. Toughest part is always figuring out when to draw so that you are not seen. I mainly hand call but an ecaller (and decoy)would really up your odds! It is AWESOME when you get one. Good Luck.

4NPgYNel.jpg

A couple of things I’ve done to increase my chances of taking one with my bow. I try and get the call elevated so when they do come in most will stop and look up versus running to the call and picking up my scent. I’ve also switched from a wrist release to a thumb for a little more freedom of my hands while calling. I’m thinking of going to a single pin sight since I always range the distance from where I’m sitting to the caller. As soon as the weather cools down a bit here in Arizona I’ll be after them again with my bow. Hopefully, I can post video from my Tactacam if successful

Kevin

Thanks,

I've gone from a caliper release to a hook release and while it is a wrist release it can lock back(friction lock) out of the way to operate the call. I really like it as there is no fiddling around locking it in place, you almost don't have to look at it to hook the D-loop. I've been using a hi caller for a long time in the thick stuff.

I've seen where guys that turkey hunt without a blind will get that decorative greenery and weave it through the riser of there bow leaving an opening or their sights and rest are. Put a set of bow sticks on the front of it and you can rest the bow on the ground in front of you while you hide behind it as a blind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reaper4You need to look up Joseph wirth on Facebook. His guiding page is close encounters guide service. Is a straight coyote killing machine that has been known to archery hunt for them in the spring/ summer

Shooting pups with a bow doesnt take effort. But I wont take credit away from him, he calls in a pile of dogs

Back